Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: COVID raises risk of long-term brain injury, large U.S. study finds
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/22/2022 10:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/22/2022 10:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Reuters

COVID raises risk of long-term brain injury, large U.S. study finds

Thu, September 22, 2022, 11:03 AM
By Julie Steenhuysen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - People who had COVID-19 are at higher risk for a host of brain injuries a year later compared with people who were never infected by the coronavirus, a finding that could affect millions of Americans, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.

The year-long study, published in Nature Medicine, assessed brain health across 44 different disorders using medical records without patient identifiers from millions of U.S. veterans.

Brain and other neurological disorders occurred in 7% more of those who had been infected with COVID compared with a similar group of veterans who had never been infected. That translates into roughly 6.6 million Americans who had brain impairments linked with their COVID infections, the team said.

"The results show the devastating long-term effects of COVID-19," senior author Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly of Washington University School of Medicine said in a statement.

Al-Aly and colleagues at Washington University School of Medicine and the Veterans Affairs St. Louis Health Care System studied medical records from 154,000 U.S. veterans who had tested positive for COVID from March 1, 2020 to Jan. 15, 2021.

They compared these with records from 5.6 million patients who did not have COVID during the same time frame, and another group of 5.8 million people from the period just before the coronavirus arrived in the United States.

Al-Aly said prior studies looked at a narrower group of disorders, and were focused largely on hospitalized patients, whereas his study included both hospitalized and non-hospitalized patients.

Memory impairments, commonly referred to as brain fog, were the most common symptom. Compared with the control groups, people infected with COVID had a 77% higher risk of developing memory problems.

People infected with the virus also were 50% more likely to have an ischemic stroke, which is caused by blood clots, compared with the never infected group.

Those who had COVID were 80% more likely to have seizures, 43% more likely to have mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression, 35% more likely to have headaches and 42% more likely to suffer movement disorders, such as tremors, compared with the control groups.

Researchers said governments and health systems must devise plans for a post-COVID world.

"Given the colossal scale of the pandemic, meeting these challenges requires urgent and coordinated - but, so far, absent - global, national and regional response strategies," Al-Aly said.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 09/22/2022 11:02 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Damn shame that the vaccine doesn't prevent one from catching it. Now progs, no need to panic. Any brain injury caused by covid would be but a drop in the ocean relative to your pre-existing brain damage.

I :heart; Q
 09/22/2022 11:17 AM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Siillly little "pigsley knows shit" loops endlessly through the same tired magat agitspam crap.
So, here it is again, mims napoleon boy: vaccines do not prevent covid. They do, however reduce severity and chances of hospitalization.
Willfully ignorant, laughably stupid
But then: this silly wimpy goober believes in the great lord Q-cumber, and loves his vladdie daddy pu-pu, so zero credibility.
weeeeeeee-ak

It's a democratic hoax

Edited: 09/22/2022 at 11:18 AM by nukeh2o
 09/22/2022 11:22 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I think there's lots of us who haven't gotten Covid.

But besides that, most of the long term risks are associated with severe bouts of Covid, which is far less likely if you're vaccinated.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 09/22/2022 11:37 AM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Hey Rusty- have you had covid?

I haven't.. all I had to do was the basics.

I know you did as well

Zzzzzzz.. Zzzzzzz.. Braaaaaapp!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 09/22/2022 11:43 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

I think there's lots of us who haven't gotten Covid.

But besides that, most of the long term risks are associated with severe bouts of Covid, which is far less likely if you're vaccinated.

I just caught it for the first time last week and it knocked me on my ASS. I'm vaxxed and booster and I still almost tapped out..
 09/22/2022 11:53 AM

fishkller

Sorry to hear that Tat- at least you got this far. Did you have the latest booster?

and does that dude at the end of your street still have that Trump stuff up?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 09/22/2022 11:57 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

So, we were doing some lead abatement training and lead also cause mental impairment. We told the group if their workers seemed slow, or confused, or easily distracted, it might be the lead. One of the contractors raised his hand and asked, perfectly straight faced, "But how will we know?" Same for covid?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/22/2022 12:14 PM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: fishkller

Sorry to hear that Tat- at least you got this far. Did you have the latest booster?

No I don't have the latest booster. I decided against it since they don't prevent Covid. I am re thinking that now after how sick I got. & YES he still has all his Trump stuff up. Unbelievable lol. I am in the process of moving over behind St Marks by Paradise Bch now. One of the positives is I don't have to look at that crap any more.

09/22/2022 12:47 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It makes sense that the MAGAts that were not killed by Covid stuck with trump because their brains were damaged.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/22/2022 12:58 PM

fishkller

Originally posted by: TATTOO74

No I don't have the latest booster. I decided against it since they don't prevent Covid. I am re thinking that now after how sick I got. & YES he still has all his Trump stuff up. Unbelievable lol. I am in the process of moving over behind St Marks by Paradise Bch now. One of the positives is I don't have to look at that crap any more.

Ah cool

I only asked because I got the new one and was around a positive person for 9 days and never got it.

If you ask me, my experience is that it can prevent infection- certainly kept me from getting that new covid

Lol that dude is tripling down. What he gonna do if/when Trump doesn't run?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 09/22/2022 01:48 PM

TATTOO74

Ah cool

I only asked because I got the new one and was around a positive person for 9 days and never got it.

If you ask me, my experience is that it can prevent infection- certainly kept me from getting that new covid

Lol that dude is tripling down. What he gonna do if/when Trump doesn't run?

You got that right son! I'm pretty sure that thing will be up as long as he lives there. People still stop and take pics of it. He loves the attention.

I'll prob get booster now. I don't want to go through that again. Ever

09/22/2022 02:10 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Blunder was "challenged" before his 3 infections, and he is still coherent?---Doubtful from his attempts at speaking!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 09/22/2022 02:26 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I know you did as well

No, never had it. Was exposed but no illness (recent booster).
Anyone due for a booster should get the new bivalent Vax, covers omicron.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 09/22/2022 03:14 PM

fishkller

Originally posted by: crankit

Blunder was "challenged" before his 3 infections, and he is still coherent?---Doubtful from his attempts at speaking!

Going by Crackhit's attempts at typing, I think we all know who's not coherent lol

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 09/22/2022 03:18 PM

fishkller

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

I know you did as well

No, never had it. Was exposed but no illness (recent booster).

Anyone due for a booster should get the new bivalent Vax, covers omicron.

Yeah I don't think it's any suprise that you and I have never gotten infected since this whole thing started.

We wore masks when needed (and I was admittedly pretty loose with that)

Made an effort to get vax and boosted on time.

That and keeping your hands.clean (I keep sanitizer with me, use it when appropriate)

That's all it took, really. Been almost 3 years now.

Thanks Fauci.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 09/22/2022 03:27 PM

fishkller

You got that right son! I'm pretty sure that thing will be up as long as he lives there. People still stop and take pics of it. He loves the attention.

I'll prob get booster now. I don't want to go through that again. Ever

Yeah I was suprised how well it saved my ass from Omicron. I recommend it.

I also like how all these Trumpers can't get it because MAGA.

lol ok whatever guys, sucks to be you.

I also like how that Trump guy on your street still had Pence on his sign- or has he crossed that out with a Sharpie by now?

Might as well put a Q on Trump's forehead while he's out there lol

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Edited: 09/22/2022 at 03:27 PM by fishkller
 09/23/2022 03:45 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Except for the latest variant---boost away libtards!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 09/23/2022 03:48 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Except for the latest variant---boost away libtards!

People still use libtard? LMAO.

Speaking of covid causing brain injury, you must have had it 37 times.

Edited: 09/23/2022 at 03:49 PM by RiddleMe
 09/23/2022 06:05 PM

fishkller

Except for the latest variant---

Worked on the latest for me- too bad you gotta go bareback at your age, but yknow.. maga.

have another PBR, itll help ya forget

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Edited: 09/23/2022 at 06:05 PM by fishkller
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .