Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 5G
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2022 08:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2022 08:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

What the F is up with it?

Are we seriously just learning that it's going to mess up aircraft systems?

-------------------------
“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 01/19/2022 08:19 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

FK must be conflicted and torn.

5G will fry your brain and let the gubmint' control you. It might cause flight cancellations. Less flights = less "chemtrails" to get him.

He is popping Xanax like pez

01/19/2022 08:31 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

It's been known for a while, but I think it's been a game of chicken between the FCC and the FAA.

FAA is obviously loved and lobbied heavily by the airline industry.

FCC is obviously loved and lobbied heavily by the telecom industry.

Spectrum auctions are an ongoing gorge-fest for the telecom companies. The FCC regulates those, and they get a lot more attention (from government, press, and industry) than obscure needs of aircraft equipment manufacturers, especially under Trump's FCC.

Bottom line is that aircraft equipment like a radar altimeter (the affected instrument) is considered the highest level of safety criticality, and it takes years to make and certify any changes before they're allowed to fly.

The 5G cell equipment has been in the planning phase for years, but the frequencies they're using (the ones that overlap with radar altimeter) have just been enabled. They can be turned on and off by software, but since the telecom companies paid big $$$ for those frequencies, they want to use every last drop of it.

In short, the airlines have been using those frequencies for decades, and it's a monumental task to upgrade and certify the altimeters to accommodate the 5G intrusion.

Rusty's gonna strut like a big rooster here, but capitalism won the battle here and failed the consumer.
 01/19/2022 10:11 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

"I need to be as candid as I normally am, and say this is one of the most delinquent, utterly irresponsible issue subjects, call it what you like, I've seen in my aviation career because it involves organs of government, manufacturers, science, etc. And you know, the notion that, for instance, the United States government should sell its franchise for all the frequencies for a large amount of money. Somebody should have told them at the time - that the risks and the dangers they placed in certain frequency uses around field, airfields, metropolitan fields that should have been done at the time."

What a cluster fuck.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 01/19/2022 10:45 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Indeed, it has been a cluster fk.
5g operates in the C Band range and will potentially affect more than just radar altimeters....as if that wasn't concern enough.

>>face palm emoji here <<

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 01/19/2022 11:28 AM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

On a good note, if you've been vaxxed you don't need a phone to receive incoming antifa directives.
Poor magats had to resort to decoder rings and foil hats.

It's a democratic hoax
 01/19/2022 02:41 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Facebook did it. Or is it Google?

Fauchi?

I was right.
 01/19/2022 05:41 PM

scombrid

This is why we need the anarchocapitalist paradise of the libertarians. If you want to fly safe then you can pay the telecoms a ransom to get the bandwidth.

01/19/2022 05:47 PM

scombrid

After they've successfully used OANN to make sure Agit Pie ran the FCC during the decision period.

01/19/2022 07:21 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I read it will interfere with weather satellites, don't recall which data, maybe the quickscatt/wind
 01/19/2022 10:09 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

In fairness to the telecom guys, I've read some more articles today describing how much time the FCC gave for public comment; the FAA and airline industry were very slow to respond. The FAA and commercial avionics industry move much slower, in part because of the onerous safety regulations. The average aircraft is built for a 30+ year lifespan, and its final certification package is based on a fixed package of electronics, which are generally expected to last the lifetime of the plane. So there's a ton of REALLY OLD equipment in planes still flying; you can't just push a new software build and upgrade the entire fleet with better filters. It's basically a re-cert for huge pieces of the whole avionics system working together. In contrast, Telecom expects you to buy a new cell phone every 2-3 years and be happy if something gets 10 years' compatibility on their network.

With that said, other countries have been flying with 5G near airports for a while, and with less frequency separation (guard band) than they're using here, and have not observed/reported problems. One difference is that the equipment makers and airlines get all worked up for the US market, and do a serious worst-case analysis. While that raises alarms, the probability of encountering a worst-case scenario that would alter altimeter data appears to be pretty low.

Given that half the 5G bandwidth will probably be used to stream p0rn, cat pictures, stupid selfies, Tik Toks and Twitter from the Shitter, I'm not very sympathetic to commercial telecom grabbing up all the spectrum. We should be reserving a lot more for legitimate scientific and public use. It hertz to see this.
 01/20/2022 03:14 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

correct. d'inkpatch is gonna have to vaccinate his new flip phone. we talked about THIS one over in NPNR. can you hear me now?
 01/20/2022 11:02 AM

dingpatch

The "reports" are that the 5G signals in the US are generally twice as strong than Europe. I do have to say that 5G is really FAST

Dora Hates You
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .