Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anger Addiction
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2021 06:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2021 06:31 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

AN EMERGING BODY of work suggests that media outlets, finely tuned to capitalize on our emotions, are affecting how we feel about every aspect of our lives.

Outrage is certainly proliferating. It's an attention-grabbing emotion that pushes engagement, which makes it easy to exploit by social media and news outlets. A 2018 Pew Research survey found social media users are most often amused online, but nearly as often, they experience anger; the same survey found that 59 percent of users frequently saw other people online looking for opportunities to start arguments.

Indeed, fury is thriving in the current media landscape, argues Tufts University sociologist Sarah Sobieraj, co-author of the 2014 book, "The Outrage Industry." In the scramble for listeners and clicks, vitriol sells, and sells, and sells. "Things that give you a strong emotional reaction are pretty effective [at attracting attention]," she says. "So yes: Anger, fear, moral indignation, these types of things are the news equivalents of what we see in the entertainment industry - sex and violence."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ide...Nk6BXG5aV_gQMYZhAOn2NI
 11/23/2021 06:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I completely agree.

-------------------------
I was right.
 11/23/2021 06:39 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I think the long term damage to humankind from this sort of thing will be significant. Seems like the most profitable manufacturing we have any more is the manufacture of outrage.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/23/2021 06:52 AM

tpapablo

It has been this way long before the invention of the printing press. Nothing new. Educating people to think on their own would go a long way toward neutralizing this sort of thing. But, we are not, as is evidenced by the progs on this forum.

I :heart; Q
 11/23/2021 07:20 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

3rdworldlover

Makes me think of a friend who's father struck her in the face.
Over politics.

Was once a pretty chill dude, addicted to Walleye fishing.
Now he's addicted to the news and always angry, for about a decade.
It only gets worse.
He's entirely intolerable now.
I've seen the same happen to others
 11/23/2021 07:21 AM

RustyTruck

Things have gone down hill every since computer based devices became easy enough to use that even those with marginal intelligence could use them. The smart phone may well lead to the demise of civil society.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

11/23/2021 07:27 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: 3rdworldlover Makes me think of a friend who's father struck her in the face. Over politics. Was once a pretty chill dude, addicted to Walleye fishing. Now he's addicted to the news and always angry, for about a decade. It only gets worse. He's entirely intolerable now. I've seen the same happen to others
I stopped watching the news decades ago and am better for it. Most of it is BS anyway, so you don't really lose anything.

11/23/2021 07:29 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

The social media experiment where any person with an internet connection can somehow become and influencer is failing this country, and probably the world.

I bet if you google "Cats are aliens who are coordinating a mass extinction event on Earth so their planet can resettle here".... there is a website or some kook pushing that...and people believe him. (ok, i have never googled that but you get the point...insanity gets clicks).

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 11/23/2021 at 07:29 AM by Bamboo
 11/23/2021 08:11 AM

johnnyboy

Seriously Tpap, you are admitting that shit you fling against the wall in here is not news and you enjoy your ignorance?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/23/2021 08:36 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy Seriously Tpap, you are admitting that shit you fling against the wall in here is not news and you enjoy your ignorance?
I post facts. Some news scources are good and I post them. I am a curator of valid news on here. You are lucky I am here. You can find out about what is going on by reading my posts.

11/23/2021 09:06 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Seriously Tpap, you are admitting that shit you fling against the wall in here is not news and you enjoy your ignorance?

He is just a troll Jb ... just a troll. Nothing more and nothing less. No doubt a GOP troll but still just a troll.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 11/23/2021 09:24 AM

RustyTruck

And he really is off his game. I would have expected him to be posting about the mass robberies or "looting" of some high end stores that has all of the right wing internet in a tizzy just about now.

Instead it's just some crap about Pelosi buying a mansion on the beach here in FLA. I mean she's what, 110 years old? I think she's required to buy something here.

11/23/2021 09:29 AM

follydude

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

I post facts. Some news scources are good and I post them. I am a curator of valid news on here. You are lucky I am here. You can find out about what is going on by reading my posts.

Here is an example of these "facts" and 'curated valid news'.

https://citizenfreepress.com/b...e-biden-should-resign/

Facts in the form of a meme.

I think I got a virus from lifting that site. Better get a vaccine.

11/23/2021 09:38 AM

tpapablo

Yep, Folly, a fact. Dementia Joe said exactly that. And you hadn't a clue about it, did you? See, I informed you. As I said, you guys are lucky I post here. OTherwise you'd be more ignorant than you already are.

Edited: 11/23/2021 at 10:28 AM by tpapablo
 11/23/2021 05:12 PM

follydude

... and your "source" is a meme.

Got it.

11/24/2021 05:31 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

The hyperbole in the headline usually has very little to do with the actual information, so they pose it as a question. And when the average attention span of the reader only allows them to comprehend that headline, it then becomes their truth.

Pretty evil genius if you think about it.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 11/24/2021 05:37 AM

Cole

They love Rittenhouse because he showed us Libs, even though the guy is woman hitting scum.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

I was right.
 11/24/2021 05:42 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

He didn't show us anything, the jury did.

You seem awful convinced that is him in the video. Is there another video that is more clear? the only one I've seen isn't clean enough to make any identification. If that is him why don't they prosecute him on a battery charge?

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 11/24/2021 06:10 AM

Cole

Both the vid shooters said it was him. Proof as in fingerprints or confession? Nope, none yet.

We will most certainly find out in the near future as you on the Right propel him to stardom.

I was right.
 11/24/2021 06:11 AM

Cole

He didn't show us anything, the jury did.

Then what was your purpose for the meme you posted?

I was right.
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Anger Addiction

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .