Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Chevron/USA vs. Steven Donziger
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2021 08:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2021 08:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Against all odds, lawyer Steven Donziger helped Indigenous Amazonians win a $9.5 billion ruling against Chevron for destroying their home in Ecuador. But Chevron hasn't paid a dime. Instead, Chevron is spending billions to destroy Donziger. And they're doing it with the assistance of federal judges:

The allegations in these articles are stunning. If true, we should all be outraged.

http://www.thenation.com/artic...r-chevron-sentencing/

http://theintercept.com/2020/0...wsuit-steven-donziger/
 10/12/2021 08:55 AM

3rdworldlover

First, Chevron convinced a US judge that Steven Donziger was deceitful in winning the Ecuadorean case. The main "witness" was an Ecuadorean judge. Coincidentally, Chevron moved the judge and his family to the US, and paid him $12,000 a month. So... not a bribe? But it gets worse

After the case was over, the "witness" to Donziger's supposed legal improprieties later ADMITTED he lied. But the US courts didn't care. They disbarred Donziger. Now, he can't legally defend indigenous people anymore. But it gets worse

The appellate judge - Loretta Preska, a Federalist Society advisor (a Chevron-funded group that picks the SCOTUS candidates for Republican presidents) demanded Donziger break attorney-client privilege and hand over his laptop. Donziger refused. But it gets worse...

Preska was so upset Donziger wouldn't break attorney client privilege by sharing personal info of the indigenous Chevron victims (which could threaten their lives) that she held him in criminal contempt. But NY State refused to prosecute him. So the judge made it worse...

Judge Preska hired a private law firm to prosecute Donziger for not sharing private information of indigenous Chevron victims with Chevron. Guess who was a client for this private law firm? Chevron. Are you as outraged as I am yet? But wait, it gets worse...

While awaiting trial for an absurd charge, the judge did something unprecedented: She put Donziger under house arrest - for 2 years. The most anyone has gotten for this "crime" in history is 30 days. All because he wouldn't break attorney-client privilege? But it gets worse...

The UN announced that Steven Donziger's house arrest prosecuted by Chevron-linked judges & lawyers violates international law. They say they are appalled, & he is owed reparations and should be allowed to represent indigenous people again. Don't you agree? But it gets worse...

Judge Preska followed the request of Chevron's lawyers: She convicted the lawyer for indigenous people's settlement against Chevron of criminal contempt... all because he respected attorney-client privilege. @SDonziger now faces 6 months in jail.

-tweet summary by Nathan Brown
 10/12/2021 09:13 AM

tpapablo

Yeah, best not to perpetrate fraud. Judge Kaplan, a Clinton appoointee, found that Donziger had engaged in such fraud. The evidence was very strong. The permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague found,""the most thorough documentary, video, and testimonial proof of fraud ever put before an arbitral tribunal." Of course, progs love the guy. He is one of them.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 10/12/2021 09:25 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

"The main "witness" was an Ecuadorean judge. Coincidentally, Chevron moved the judge and his family to the US, and paid him $12,000 a month. So... not a bribe? But it gets worse
After the case was over, the "witness" to Donziger's supposed legal improprieties later ADMITTED he lied. But the US courts didn't care."

Turns out the Clinton Dems get money from big oil, too. The whole thing stinks from top to bottom. The message they want to send is don't mess with big business. They can buy courts and finance private prosecutions against you.

And Donziger's unprecedented house arrest? The UN said it violated international law.

http://thehill.com/policy/ener...iolates-international

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/12/2021 10:08 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

>>But even though Donziger was facing prison, he told the court he would not back down: "I have been attacked and demonized for years by Chevron in retaliation for helping Indigenous peoples in Ecuador try to do something to save their cultures, their lives, and our planet in the face of massive oil pollution. That's the context for why we are here today."

In response, Preska read out a prepared 50-minute statement for her harsh sentence. "Mr. Donziger spent the last seven plus years thumbing his nose at the US judicial system," she said. "It's now time to pay the piper."<<

Federal Judges are appointed for life. They are very powerful and they face little consequences for their actions. They don't even allow cameras or audio. Its a difficult place to practice law and its damn near impossible for anyone who doesn't have a trust fund and heaps of money they can't figure out what to do with.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/12/2021 11:22 AM

RustyTruck

Conflicted judges should be impeached.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

10/12/2021 12:00 PM

tpapablo

Its a difficult place to practice law
Don't agree. I do most of my work in federal court and prefer it. I have represented quite a few individuals in federal court. None of them had a trust fund and, with one exception, all them did well.

10/12/2021 12:31 PM

johnnyboy

I have not seen your fees but I am familiar with the industry standard for federal representation. Its WAY more than state court.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/12/2021 12:48 PM

tpapablo

Amount of fees is pretty much the same either place. Criminal cases might be different. But civil isn't too much different. Can get tripped up every now and again. A while back I argued for the residual hearsay exception in state court until I remembered that exception was federal only.

10/12/2021 03:42 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Don't agree. I do most of my work in federal court and prefer it. I have represented quite a few individuals in federal court. None of them had a trust fund and, with one exception, all them did well.

You arguing law in court. Why is that so damn hard to believe?

I was right.
 10/12/2021 04:03 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: Cole
Might be because you have a hard time believing anything that is real.

10/12/2021 07:32 PM

Cole

Yes, Breitbart is the bastion reality. lol

Everything in your life is based on a sham; from Trump's stolen election to thinking Supply Side economics work. Not to mention your "farms" to keep you safe from Wal Mart internment camps and Obama ending the world. Hell, if you were ever right about anything, the internet might just up and break. Simply put, you are just a petty, lowlife deplorable.

You left the trailer park, but it never left you.

I was right.

Edited: 10/12/2021 at 07:33 PM by Cole
 10/13/2021 06:08 AM

RustyTruck

"You left the trailer park, but it never left you."

That's what I used to say about my ex-wife.

10/13/2021 06:18 AM

tpapablo

Yes, Breitbart is the bastion reality. lol Everything in your life is based on a sham; from Trump's stolen election to thinking Supply Side economics work. Not to mention your "farms" to keep you safe from Wal Mart internment camps and Obama ending the world. Hell, if you were ever right about anything, the internet might just up and break. Simply put, you are just a petty, lowlife deplorable. You left the trailer park, but it never left you.
I hope it never does. My roots have served me well.

10/13/2021 06:32 AM

Cole

Filling every minute of everyday with some sort of work isn't success in my eyes.

I was right.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .