Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Federal Government Sells Flood-Prone Homes To Often Unsuspecting Buyers
Topic Summary: The Trump way
Created On: 09/14/2021 09:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/14/2021 09:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Homes that were sold by HUD between January 2017 and August 2020 are in federally designated flood zones at almost 75 times the rate of all homes sold nationwide in that period.

Louisiana, Florida and New Jersey stand out as hot spots. More than one-fifth of homes sold by HUD in Louisiana were in flood plains. In Florida, it was about 12% of homes sold by HUD, and in New Jersey, 7%. In comparison, Zillow's records show that 0.1% or less of all homes sold in these states are in flood zones.

In many cases, buyers of HUD homes get less information about flood risk and the cost of flood insurance than if they were to purchase the house from a private seller.

http://www.npr.org/2021/09/13/...suspecting-buyers-npr-

-------------------------
I was right.
 09/16/2021 07:04 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

In Florida, it was about 12% of homes sold by HUD

That is surprisingly low.
Isn't all of Palm Bay, all of Viera,
anything west of 95 and east of Orlando technically a flood zone?
And Anything 1000 feet from the Ocean or Gulf is in a flood Zone.

Can you be more specific as to where in Florida did they find the 78% of Hud homes that were NOT in a flood zone???

You probably never fly, Florida is all water, developers dig a hole in a flood zone, pile the dirt on a lot and call the house Bay front properties...

So the choice people have is: Buy in a Flood zone and live in Florida, or.. live in a different state...

Edited: 09/16/2021 at 07:08 AM by somebodyelse
 09/16/2021 07:12 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: Cole Homes that were sold by HUD between January 2017 and August 2020 are in federally designated flood zones at almost 75 times the rate of all homes sold nationwide in that period. Louisiana, Florida and New Jersey stand out as hot spots. More than one-fifth of homes sold by HUD in Louisiana were in flood plains. In Florida, it was about 12% of homes sold by HUD, and in New Jersey, 7%. In comparison, Zillow's records show that 0.1% or less of all homes sold in these states are in flood zones. In many cases, buyers of HUD homes get less information about flood risk and the cost of flood insurance than if they were to purchase the house from a private seller. http://www.npr.org/2021/09/13/...suspecting-buyers-npr-
One of your rare good posts. Yes, the federal gov't is incompentent in most things. Exactly why you don't want to throw more money into its maw.

I :heart; Q
 09/16/2021 07:30 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

I was trying to guess where you would plop down on this. Its got a GOP caveat emptor feel to it but a good old fashioned government conspiracy angle too.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/16/2021 07:51 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Obviously, dumbody didn't bother to read the article...

Originally posted by: somebodyelse

In Florida, it was about 12% of homes sold by HUD "Between 2017 and 2020, HUD sold nearly 100,000 homes around the country."

That is surprisingly low. 12,000 homes sold by HUD in flood zones is "low" ?

Isn't all of Palm Bay, all of Viera,

anything west of 95 and east of Orlando technically a flood zone? No.

And Anything 1000 feet from the Ocean or Gulf is in a flood Zone. No it isn't.

Can you be more specific as to where in Florida did they find the 78% of Hud homes that were NOT in a flood zone??? What are you talking about? If you tried to subtract 12% from 100%, you're way off, budd...

So the choice people have is: Buy in a Flood zone and live in Florida, or.. live in a different state... Good point. now feel free to GTFO of our state.

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 09/16/2021 08:02 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy I was trying to guess where you would plop down on this. Its got a GOP caveat emptor feel to it but a good old fashioned government conspiracy angle too.
Caveat emptor may apply in private transactions, but the gov't shouldn't be taking advantage of it. Theoretically, at least, they are us, not adversaries.

09/16/2021 08:28 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

"the gov't shouldn't be taking advantage of it. Theoretically, at least, they are us, not adversaries."

Right, so those entrusted with public responsibility should be held accountable. Problem is, business interests of all stripes see the government as a great trough at which to feast on taxpayer's money.
They have the resources to purchase the politicians needed to keep the slop flowing and protect them from accountability.

All of them should be against the wall, and the firing squad should be bipartisan.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 09/16/2021 09:05 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck "the gov't shouldn't be taking advantage of it. Theoretically, at least, they are us, not adversaries." Right, so those entrusted with public responsibility should be held accountable. Problem is, business interests of all stripes see the government as a great trough at which to feast on taxpayer's money. They have the resources to purchase the politicians needed to keep the slop flowing and protect them from accountability. All of them should be against the wall, and the firing squad should be bipartisan.
I am in agreement with you guys (You and Johnny boy) this morning. Time to head to a psychiatrist to find out what the hell is happening to me.

09/16/2021 03:32 PM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

More than one-fifth of homes sold by HUD in Louisiana were in flood plains. In Florida, it was about 12% of homes sold by HUD

It was NOT 12% of all homes sold by HUD.
which you would know if you read the article.

It says that 12% of HUD homes sold in Florida were in Flood PRONE areas...
I was surprised that the number was that low since most houses seem to be built in what were previously wetlands,
Or as close to water front as they can get.

That you think that means 12,000 HUD homes in Florida were in flood zones, well:
Obviously, dumbRow didn't bother to read the article...

09/16/2021 03:37 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

There's some flood zone superfund swampside land available in Mims.
Word is all the best trust fund failure dorks are getting duped into buying there.
It's too dank even for HUD though.
Yuge potential for ostrich ranching and malaria futures.....herd immunity in 3,2,1...

It's a democratic hoax
 09/16/2021 05:18 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Not everythig close to the ocean is a flood zone. I'm 200 steps from beach sand and in Zone 'X' - never had to buy insurance.. houses behind me closer to the river have flood issues..

Are the govt actually selling the houses, or realtors? i.e. the ones providing the 'information' - or lack thereof.. In any event seems like the gov't should refuse to get involved in building in regions where damage seems to occur on a very regular basis.. like close to the gulf with storm surge and next to big rivers are 'accident prone'.. Funny how Brevard area seems to dodge serious bullets every time...

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...

Edited: 09/16/2021 at 05:42 PM by surfsail

09/17/2021 04:22 AM

Cole

Twelve percent of 5,000 is roughly 500. HUD sold 500 flood prone homes in Florida. 500 is a large number.

I was right.

Edited: 09/17/2021 at 04:23 AM by Cole
 09/17/2021 07:04 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Especially for you!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 09/17/2021 07:06 AM

Greensleeves

Zone X here as well surfsail and there's water... I'll take it and yes the price is worth it.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .