Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Own a Florida home?
Topic Summary: You are gonna get SCREWED!
Created On: 03/11/2021 03:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/12/2021 06:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: SurferMic

Hey Tattoo74 your son is growing fast!, walk over sometime, I got eggs and bunch of kale to share...how did I get da' niche ins?...I gots my ways

We moved over off Flug last year, but we still go see my Dad on the weekends. We'll stop by this weekend. Our street is too busy for him to ride the big wheel, so we let him play over by my Dads it's less traffic.

Greensleeves: USAA Has great rates, but I've heard horror stories when it's time for them to pay a claim.
 03/12/2021 06:46 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: TATTOO74
Originally posted by: SurferMic Hey Tattoo74 your son is growing fast!, walk over sometime, I got eggs and bunch of kale to share...how did I get da' niche ins?...I gots my ways [IMG][/IMG]
We moved over off Flug last year, but we still go see my Dad on the weekends. We'll stop by this weekend. Our street is too busy for him to ride the big wheel, so we let him play over by my Dads it's less traffic. Greensleeves: USAA Has great rates, but I've heard horror stories when it's time for them to pay a claim.
That's incorrect. USAA is one of the best out there. I routinely sue these homeowners insurance companies, so I know. USAA is a saint compared to most. (Full disclosure - I have USAA.)

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 03/12/2021 07:25 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've paid them $30 grand and never filed a claim. Now they bitch and moan that they might have to buy me a new roof for $12,000.

Fuck that.

I was right.
 03/12/2021 07:34 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: SurferMic

Hey Tattoo74 your son is growing fast!, walk over sometime, I got eggs and bunch of kale to share...how did I get da' niche ins?...I gots my ways [IMG][/IMG]

We moved over off Flug last year, but we still go see my Dad on the weekends. We'll stop by this weekend. Our street is too busy for him to ride the big wheel, so we let him play over by my Dads it's less traffic.

Greensleeves: USAA Has great rates, but I've heard horror stories when it's time for them to pay a claim.

That's incorrect. USAA is one of the best out there. I routinely sue these homeowners insurance companies, so I know. USAA is a saint compared to most. (Full disclosure - I have USAA.)

I am literally trying to re write someone now who had USAA and they refused to pay out their hail claim.. I guess they all have their moments.
 03/12/2021 07:49 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Originally posted by: Cole

Let me clarify for crackhit: this is for homeowners insurance, if you live in a dirt floor hut in Palm bay, you might not be included.

Oh, come on, Cole, you know his cardboard box "home" has a concrete sidewalk for a floor

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 03/12/2021 08:25 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: tpapablo
Originally posted by: SurferMic Hey Tattoo74 your son is growing fast!, walk over sometime, I got eggs and bunch of kale to share...how did I get da' niche ins?...I gots my ways [IMG][/IMG]
We moved over off Flug last year, but we still go see my Dad on the weekends. We'll stop by this weekend. Our street is too busy for him to ride the big wheel, so we let him play over by my Dads it's less traffic. Greensleeves: USAA Has great rates, but I've heard horror stories when it's time for them to pay a claim.
I am literally trying to re write someone now who had USAA and they refused to pay out their hail claim.. I guess they all have their moments.
It does largely depend on the individual adjuster. You sometimes get good adjusters for horrible ins. companies, and bad ones for good companies. So, yeah, it happens. But USAA is usually pretty good.

03/12/2021 08:41 AM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

I'm in south Cocoa Beach and just worked up my renewal for two attached town homes insured with one policy. Combined ~3800 ft under air, block/frame on upper floors and 2 year old roof. Turner is our agent and we are insured with UPC. Premium was $3600, but I removed insuring the contents of home(s) and got it reduced to $2300. I waived the flood insurance. We built above grade and have good storm water setup ....so I'll keep the money and take the risk. I am quite exposed to wind with to many non impact windows. So far I've lucked out for 28 years and during that time I have made two claims that payed out more than I have payed in premiums in the entire 28 years. To those of you that have difficulty with getting a reasonable claim settlement you might consider hiring a "Public Adjuster".

Edited: 03/12/2021 at 09:36 AM by grdsurf
 03/12/2021 09:19 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: grdsurf

I'm in south Cocoa Beach and just worked up my renewal for two attached town homes insured with one policy. Combined ~3800 ft under air, block/frame on upper floors and 2 year old roof. Turner is our agent and we are insured with UPC. Premium was $3600, but I removed insuring the contents of home(s) and got it reduced to $2300. I waived the flood insurance. We built above grade and have good storm water setup ....so I'll keep and money and take the risk. I am quite exposed to wind with to many non impact windows. So far I've lucked out for 28 years and during that time I have made two claims that payed out more than I have payed in premiums in the entire 28 years. To those of you that have difficulty with getting a reasonable claim settlement you might consider hiring a "Public Adjuster".

I used to work for Turner, they are good people. UPC is non renewing a TON of policies.. They came in hot a few years ago and now non renewing the majority of the policies due to risk exposure.

Just an FYI to anyone off S Trop Trail they just re zoned the entire area from flood zone X to AE. I am not sure if mortgage companies will now require current clients to acquire flood insurance, if so this will be a mess.
 03/12/2021 09:44 AM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

Just kind of wondering about the quotes people are sighting on this thread. I guess I'm lucky so far. I just insure for worst case scenario with maximum deductible, no flood, no contents etc. The yearly savings adds up over time and could be construed as "self insurance" . The change I just made on my renewal could save me 13k over ten years. I recall reading an article years ago about flood insurance in Florida an how the rates have been artificially suppressed in relation to the actual risk exposure to the insurance companies. I don't entirely understand all the factors involved but the bottom line was that it is a huge problem for Florida and could have a major impact on rates and possibly real estate values.

Edited: 03/12/2021 at 09:51 AM by grdsurf
 03/12/2021 09:49 AM

SURFSMURF

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Just had every exterior window and door in our house replaced with impact. Contractor was terrible. I so wish I had used palerider, but the wife wanted to use who we had our rental house windows and doors done by. I won't mention the terrible contractor by name but, it's where we go to surf
 03/12/2021 11:10 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: SURFSMURF

Just had every exterior window and door in our house replaced with impact. Contractor was terrible. I so wish I had used palerider, but the wife wanted to use who we had our rental house windows and doors done by. I won't mention the terrible contractor by name but, it's where we go to surf

Get an updated wind mitigation inspection reflecting the hurricane protection and get it to your insurance company. Should be a substantial discount depending who you are written with.
 03/12/2021 11:39 AM

SURFSMURF

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yep, already done (thanks though). Just got a reimbursement check back from insurance company for over 500 bucks
 03/13/2021 12:12 AM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Originally posted by: Cole I'm all ears if anyone knows of a better deal.
Own cash out right so don't need it... when I bought beachside I foresaw this so stayed low principal and able to initially buy on 15 year note instead of 30 year note which makes that realistic to do. Not quite there yet but it's on the horizon! Of course for people that are already long into their homestead this doesn't mean much but for the younger folks definitely something to really think about!!! A lot of people say that's fing crazy to do, but the truth is of homes that are hit by storms big storms maybe 2 or 3 out of 5 will actually recover from their insurance the true cost to rebuild while the majority actually just walk away and say pay of my mortgage F it and hope to walk away with some cash. This trend is only going to accelerate - take a read about california eminent domains - and before too long beachside homes will become more of a liability than anything. But of course none of us want to give up the beach lifestyle!!! I've been thinking good idea is to downsize to beach townhouse or something like that, and then invest the equity into a home up in the mountains or somewhere else in a more safer place to live. That way if things do get really bad with climate change later on in my years at least I'll have a safety. And if select the location right even could have an income stream from one of the properties, the VRBOs in mountain towns like Asheville do very well may even come close to paying the mortgage. Actually pretty realistic to do if pick right: end with owning outright beach townhome then have mortgage on other property... And for timing can't beat the present as so much demand for Florida homes right now with the exodus from big cities up north. This whole insurance thing adjusting for climate change affects is just getting started too, so timing out in front of that too

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

Edited: 03/13/2021 at 12:41 AM by surferclimber
 03/13/2021 07:55 AM

Cole

We have a ten year plan for climate change, because there will be a time that insurance will no longer be an option. It looks like it's happening sooner than I thought, so a change of plans might be in order.

I'm getting ready to ride my bike to the beach to check the waves. The thought of not being able to do that anymore makes me sick to my stomach. Living where I live rules.

I was right.
 03/13/2021 10:47 AM

wbsponger

Joined Forum: 08/04/2003

Also dont forget something like 2.7% you pay into homeowners insurance is siphoned off to payoff the police and fire unions to fund their bloated pensions.
 03/15/2021 09:08 AM

Cole

Every policy in the state will have gone up by $2,000 under the watch of Desantis. And the plans will cover far less.

This will be real election gold come 2022.

I was right.
 03/15/2021 10:08 AM

TATTOO74

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-insurance-florida/florida-consumers-flabbergasted-as-property-insurers-push-for-double-digit-rate-hikes-idUSKBN2AC111
 03/15/2021 12:15 PM

Cole

Florida insurers requested 105 rate increases during the first ten months of 2020, Altmaier said. More than half of the increases that regulators approved were greater than 10%.

Wow!

It's almost like the state wants to root out the dead wood (retirees, those on fixed incomes) and inject some new profit. All of those people coming into the state need somewhere to live, why not give Eda the boot and make some new taxes on her once homesteaded house...

I was right.
 03/15/2021 12:16 PM

Cole

The new law will make it where you can't sue and the prices won't drop. Talk about a win win!

I was right.
 03/15/2021 02:23 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: Cole We have a ten year plan for climate change, because there will be a time that insurance will no longer be an option. It looks like it's happening sooner than I thought, so a change of plans might be in order. I'm getting ready to ride my bike to the beach to check the waves. The thought of not being able to do that anymore makes me sick to my stomach. Living where I live rules.
Hooray! Climate change is good. Himalayas? You should be safe there for a few years. You going to become a yak rancher?

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Own a Florida home?

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .