Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Acting Navy secretary blasts ousted aircraft carrier captain as 'stupid' in address to ship's crew
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/06/2020 08:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/06/2020 03:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Poor Rusty, he just does not get it. "War" as such, has been and always will be like this. You Take the Oath, you receive your orders, you "run the Flag up the pole", and then you perform your mission. That is how it is down.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/06/2020 at 04:35 PM by dingpatch
 04/06/2020 03:07 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: dingpatch
The Captain sent his complaint email to 20 (or so) people, through insecure channels.

I read comments from another naval officer who had served with him and knew him well, that the Captain would not have gone this route w/o first trying the official channels and chain of command.

His supposition was that the chain of command failed.

The fact that it got out into the wild makes the USN administration look worse, and that could explain some of the retribution.
 04/06/2020 03:11 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

The Captain sent his complaint email to 20 (or so) people, through insecure channels.

I read comments from another naval officer who had served with him and knew him well, that the Captain would not have gone this route w/o first trying the official channels and chain of command.

His supposition was that the chain of command failed.

The fact that it got out into the wild makes the USN administration look worse, and that could explain some of the retribution.

Thanks for confirming. This was my guess. Someone with that much to lose does not make rash decisions. It was a calculated last resort.
 04/06/2020 03:37 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Poor Rusty, he just does not get it. "War" as such, has been and always be like this. You Take the Oath, you receive your orders, you "run the Flag up the pole", and then you perform your mission. That is how it is down.

Nope, don't get it, don't want it.

I feel bad for the kids who fall for it. Enjoy your Lowes discount and free ice cream in November.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 04/06/2020 03:46 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: HAPDigital
Thanks for confirming. This was my guess. Someone with that much to lose does not make rash decisions. It was a calculated last resort.

I'd rather that not be taken as "confirmation."

I can't find the original article or the officer's name, and I don't recall if the officer making that comment based it on a personal conversation with Crozier about the letter, or just based on what he knew of Crozier's character and modus operandi based on past experience with him.

Some in the USN chain are saying Crozier panicked. Others are saying he saw response to his initial concerns as moving too slowly.

Lots of unconfirmed info out there, so take this input of mine with a grain of salt.

If anyone else stumbles across an article like the one I originally referenced, please post.
 04/06/2020 03:52 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

I'd rather that not be taken as "confirmation."

I can't find the original article or the officer's name, and I don't recall if the officer making that comment based it on a personal conversation with Crozier about the letter, or just based on what he knew of Crozier's character and modus operandi based on past experience with him.

Some in the USN chain are saying Crozier panicked. Others are saying he saw response to his initial concerns as moving too slowly.

Lots of unconfirmed info out there, so take this input of mine with a grain of salt.

If anyone else stumbles across an article like the one I originally referenced, please post.

Understood. Makes sense though.
 04/06/2020 04:41 PM

dingpatch

On having been told that you are "expendable" !!!!

Combat Arms

In December 1972 I was drafted and sent to Fort Knox for Basic Training, then on to "school" to learn how to be a "company clerk". I was trained and then sent to Fort Hood in April 1973 to join Company A, 1st Battalion of the 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. The 5th Cavalry was an Airmobile unit that was called "Alpha Rangers", it was not an actual Ranger unit. It was "Alpha Rangers" due to the fact that when The Cav stood down in Vietnam and redeployed to Ft, Hood in 1971, Company A, 1/5, was reconstituted as a special unit wherein all of the Officers and senior NCOs were Rangers or Green Berets who had served many tours in Vietnam (many had "maxed" the 4 tour limit). Many of the enlisted personnel had served with A Company in Viet Nam at various times. Within Third Corps/FORSCOM standing orders were that Company A Had Already Volunteered! Company A was the direct descendant of the Army's first, original, Cavalry unit so, and as such, it had Very High Visibility. For a Hippy Surfer from Satellite Beach it was a real TRIP (although my father had been a Marine DI so I certainly "knew the drill").

Anyway, to get to the point, , , , of being told point blank that you probably would be sacrificed, , , ,!!!

Our Brigade of three Battalions (1/5, 2/7, 1/8) was President Nixon's "Ready Reaction Force" and, as such, we were ready to deploy at a moments notice. So, , , , ,

In the very early morning hours of October 6th, 1973, the "Call" came in. The Arabs had attacked Israel! The Ready Reaction Force had been called up and we were to immediately proceed to battle. We were woke up about 2AM and were not told anything other than to grab our "ready bags", draw our weapons and get to the Brigade LZ. I was designated as the XO's RTO (radio) that night. So, we have not been told much of anything other than the phones had been cut and that we would not try to contact any of out family or friends. Lots of guys pretty much thought that it was a drill and that we would stand at attention, get inspected, and then march off to the chow hall for breakfast. NOPE! Word began to spread that this looked like the Real Thing and that people had heard about the attack on Israel! There actually were more than a few "Bros" who verbally objected to going over there to kill their Muslim brothers! Anyway, things got really, really, Bone Fooking Real when our armorer showed up with a truck full of live ammo! 5.56, belted 7.62, 45, LAWS rockets, grenades, Claymore mines, etc., , , , the Whole Fooking Three Rings of the Circus. What really got the XO's attention was the fact that the Armorer told him that everybody was to draw ammo and "load up" with all of their normal "combat load out". WHAT!? WTF are you saying. Sir, all of the Troopers are to draw their ammo and load their magazines. Everybody that should will get grenades and LAWS rockets, etc. WTF??!!??!!??. The XO dragged me behind him with the radio's hand set while he rushed over to were all of the Commanders were talking (the Commander of the Third Corps down to all of the Company Commanders). When we got to them they all were pretty much in a ROAR! The Troopers were to get onto aircraft with loaded magazines, live grenades, LAWS, etc. . . . on their fooking persons!!?? WTF??!!?? But, Sir you do not give troops live ammo on a C-5!! The Commanding General of the Third Cops summed it all up for them (to paraphrase, , , ,): "Yes live ammo, the situation in Israel (at that time) is DIRE and we have been ordered to join the battle. We will have air cover but, we probably will be going in "HOT". We will do everything in our power to help Israel until more of our forces can get there." "Sir, where are we going to land?" "Don't know and that is not important at this time. We will do our duty and comply with the Orders of the President" "If the situation is so bad, how do they expect us to sneak up on anybody and land hot in C-5s?" "That may be the case but we will perform our Duty to the End!" It was so very unpleasant to see the looks on the faces of all of the combat hardened Rangers and Green Berets. As we were loading up into "deuce and a halfs" to head to the airfield it was Called OFF! The Israelis had finally begun to Kick Total Ass on the Arabs. We were to stand by on Highest Alert but no exciting C-5 rides that day.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/07/2020 at 03:56 AM by dingpatch
 04/06/2020 05:09 PM

HAPDigital

On having been told that you are "expendable" !!!!

Combat Arms

In December 1972 I was drafted and sent to Fort Knox for Basic Training, then on to "school" to learn how to be a "company clerk". I was trained and then sent to Fort Hood in April 1973 to join Company A, 1st Battalion of the 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. The 5th Cavalry was an Airmobile unit that was called "Alpha Rangers", it was not an actual Ranger unit. It was "Alpha Rangers" due to the fact that when The Cav stood down in Vietnam and redeployed to Ft, Hood in 1971, Company A, 1/5, was reconstituted as a special unit wherein all of the Officers and senior NCOs were Rangers or Green Berets who had served many tours in Vietnam (many had "maxed" the 4 tour limit). Many of the enlisted personnel had served with A Company in Viet Nam at various times. Within Third Corps/FORSCOM standing orders were that Company A Had Already Volunteered! Company A was the direct ancestor of the Army's first, original, Cavalry unit so, and as such, it had Very High Visibility. For a Hippy Surfer from Satellite Beach it was a real TRIP (although my father had been a Marine DI so I certainly "knew the drill").

Anyway, to get to the point, , , , of being told point blank that you probably would be sacrificed, , , ,!!!

Our Brigade of three Battalions (1/5, 2/7, 1/8) was President Nixon's "Ready Reaction Force" and, as such, we were ready to deploy at a moments notice. So, , , , ,

In the very early morning hours of October 6th, 1973, the "Call" came in. The Arabs had attacked Israel! The Ready Reaction Force had been called up and we were to immediately proceed to battle. We were woke up about 2AM and were not told anything other than to grab our "ready bags", draw our weapons and get to the Brigade LZ. I was designated as the XO's RTO (radio) that night. So, we have not been told much of anything other than the phones had been cut and that we would not try to contact any of out family or friends. Lots of guys pretty much thought that it was a drill and that we would stand at attention, get inspected, and then march off to the chow hall for breakfast. NOPE! Word began to spread that this looked like the Real Thing and that people had heard about the attack on Israel! There actually were more than a few "Bros" who verbally objected to going over there to kill their Muslim brothers! Anyway, things got really, really, Bone Fooking Real when our armorer showed up with a truck full of live ammo! 5.56, belted 7.62, 45, LAWS rockets, grenades, Claymore mines, etc., , , , the Whole Fooking Three Rings of the Circus. What really got the XO's attention was the fact that the Armorer told him that everybody was to draw ammo and "load up" with all of their normal "combat load out". WHAT!? WTF are you saying. Sir, all of the Troopers are to draw their ammo and load their magazines. Everybody that should will get grenades and LAWS rockets, etc. WTF??!!??!!??. The XO dragged me behind him with the radio's hand set while he rushed over to were all of the Commanders were talking (the Commander of the Third Corps down to all of the Company Commanders). When we got to them they all were pretty much in a ROAR! The Troopers were to get onto aircraft with loaded magazines, live grenades, LAWS, etc. . . . on their fooking persons!!?? WTF??!!?? But, Sir you do not give troops live ammo on a C-5!! The Commanding General of the Third Cops summed it all up for them (to paraphrase, , , ,): "Yes live ammo, the situation in Israel (at that time) is DIRE and we have been ordered to join the battle. We will have air cover but, we probably will be going in "HOT". We will do everything in our power to help Israel until more of our forces can get there." "Sir, where are we going to land?" "Don't know and that is not important at this time. We will do our duty and comply with the Orders of the President" "If the situation is so bad, how do they expect us to sneak up on anybody and land hot in C-5s?" "That may be the case but we will perform our Duty to the End!" It was so very unpleasant to see the looks on the faces of all of the combat hardened Rangers and Green Berets. As we were loading up into "deuce and a halfs" to head to the airfield it was Called OFF! The Israelis had finally begun to Kick Total Ass on the Arabs. We were to stand by on Highest Alert but no exciting C-5 rides that day.

Ding, what war were these sailors fighting on that ship that they so desperately needed to be staying out there full of covid-19?
 04/06/2020 06:13 PM

Bamboo

Full Transcript and Audio for those who are interested:
https://taskandpurpose.com/new...rcraft-carrier-captain

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 04/06/2020 at 06:14 PM by Bamboo
 04/06/2020 06:32 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: RustyTruck . Enjoy your Lowes discount and free ice cream in November.
i chuckled
 04/06/2020 07:05 PM

6ScoopsMcGruntington

Joined Forum: 01/25/2017

"Acting"

Will someone please fire the "acting" POTUS?

What an asshat this Modly guy is.

He fits right in with all the other appointees, except mad dog, Kelly, and McMaster.

But those 3 split ASAP.

Apparently the "asshat" skill set is what it takes to make it past a year in this administration.
 04/06/2020 07:08 PM

6ScoopsMcGruntington

Joined Forum: 01/25/2017

And WTF is with all the "acting" mfers.

It's gotta be a world record for the most of an administration.
 04/07/2020 06:07 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: 6ScoopsMcGruntington

And WTF is with all the "acting" mfers.

It's gotta be a world record for the most of an administration.

It's on purpose; Trump has more control over them and there is no Senate confirmation. In simpler terms, it's Banana Republic shit.

I was right.
 04/07/2020 06:12 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Yeah basically it's how you operate outside of the Constitution.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 04/07/2020 08:44 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Does anyone remember when the "don't tread on me" strict constitutionalists who thought every action of the founding fathers was perfect had so much to say about Obama? They are now the tea bagged party.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

04/07/2020 01:25 PM

HAPDigital

The asshat just resigned.
 04/07/2020 01:29 PM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Originally posted by: Bamboo

Moldy, that motherf&*^r has NO idea what it's like to be aboard a vessel like that, and to have shipmates that you would literally DIE for, or to have an actual leader like Captain Crozier to be honored enough and proud enough to serve. Just because he takes more care of his crew than that orange prick in the WH, doesn't mean he's naive or stupid.

Like the commenters posted: FUCK that guy. Good riddance to him!

Acting Navy secretary offers to resign over handling of virus-stricken aircraft carrier

Modly submitted his resignation letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday after meeting with his boss one-on-one, that official said. Neither Esper nor the White House pressured Modly to resign, the official said, and it is unclear whether Esper will accept it.

A spokesperson for the Pentagon did not return requests for comment.

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project

Edited: 04/07/2020 at 01:32 PM by Pagerow
 04/07/2020 02:52 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

The asshat just resigned.

The president can't lose the support of the military. Another canon fader Acting Secretary that will have a office on K-Street next week.

But wait.... land lubber becomes acting secretary of the navy. So, there are no Admirals available to become Acting Secretary of the Navy?

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

04/08/2020 03:12 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: dingpatch Poor Rusty, he just does not get it. "War" as such, has been and always will be like this. You Take the Oath, you receive your orders, you "run the Flag up the pole", and then you perform your mission. That is how it is down.
but is that really "winning"?
 04/08/2020 03:25 AM

Bamboo

Originally posted by: Pagerow

Originally posted by: Bamboo

Moldy, that motherf&*^r has NO idea what it's like to be aboard a vessel like that, and to have shipmates that you would literally DIE for, or to have an actual leader like Captain Crozier to be honored enough and proud enough to serve. Just because he takes more care of his crew than that orange prick in the WH, doesn't mean he's naive or stupid.

Like the commenters posted: FUCK that guy. Good riddance to him!

Acting Navy secretary offers to resign over handling of virus-stricken aircraft carrier

Modly submitted his resignation letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday after meeting with his boss one-on-one, that official said. Neither Esper nor the White House pressured Modly to resign, the official said, and it is unclear whether Esper will accept it.

A spokesperson for the Pentagon did not return requests for comment.

Agreed. Resigning was the least the dipshit could do. He may have been an Annapolis grad but that must have been washed out of him a long time ago. No way it was a good idea to travel 8k miles to give that address.

But being a skipper comes at risk. One of the best Captains I know was Admiral Masted and relieved for something fairly petty. The Admiral was serious, but towards the end he was getting choked up a little too as they were classmates, and shipmates. For some commands it is a 50/50 shot if the skipper is relieved or is able to retire.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .