Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Growing uncertainty looms over Democrats' 2020 primary
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2019 10:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2019 10:29 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Politics

Growing uncertainty looms over Democrats' 2020 primary

Associated Press STEVE PEOPLES, ALEXANDRA JAFFE and HUNTER WOODALL, Associated Press 3 hours ago

MUSCATINE, Iowa (AP) - Look no further than Pearl City Station, a plain brick building set along the banks of the Mississippi River, to understand the growing sense of uncertainty seeping into the Democratic Party's 2020 primary contest.

Inside, 200 Iowa Democrats recently sized up Joe Biden, the former vice president and one of their party's leading presidential candidates. He engenders respect and admiration but generates little excitement.

One elderly man sitting in the back of the room fell asleep as the former vice president shared his vision for America's future in unusually hushed tones for nearly 45 minutes without taking questions.

Afterward, David Metz, a member of the county Democratic committee, said that despite a campaign season that has already featured millions of dollars spent, countless miles logged and four debates staged, there is a deepening feeling of indecision among local voters who now have less than 100 days to finalize their 2020 pick.

"Nobody knows what to do," Metz said. "They're all afraid. There's a lot of anxiety."

In almost every campaign cycle, there comes a phase of indifference, fear and difficult questions. But in the 2020 cycle, Democratic officials hoped that the fervent desire to beat Trump would eventually lead to an enthusiastic embrace of its presidential field.

The lack of enthusiasm for Biden's candidacy underscores a broader trend emerging in the states that matter most in the Democratic Party's high-stakes presidential nomination fight: Primary voters appear to be getting less certain of their choice as Election Day approaches.

The historically large field, while in part of measure of the desire to oust the incumbent president, has also made it harder for the top contenders to forge a more focused contest. Nine Democrats so far have qualified for the party's November debate and a dozen more are still fighting for attention. Among the top tier, the liabilities of Biden, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Sen. Bernie Sanders, in particular, are becoming more visible as Iowa's Feb. 3 caucuses approach.

Major donors and party leaders across the country have publicly and privately raised concerns about the direction of the primary election recently as well. But interviews with dozens of primary voters across Iowa and New Hampshire in recent days reveal a pervasive feeling of unease.

Polling suggests that the number of undecided voters in Iowa has jumped significantly in recent weeks. And even among those who have a favorite candidate, most say they could change their mind before voting begins.

Tom Steyer, a billionaire progressive activist, is among those lower-tier candidates aggressively fighting to capitalize on the uncertainty. He's vowed to spend at least $100 million of his own money in the campaign, although he acknowledged in a weekend interview that his investment could shift up or down depending on conditions on the ground.

"We're three months out from Iowa and we thought that there would be a lot of indecision, but it's definitely higher than we would have expected. No question," Steyer said. "That is something that has to be true if I'm going to win. And it is true."

Just ask the voters.

In New Hampshire, Greg Bruss, a 68-year-old retired teacher, says he's usually volunteering for a candidate by this time in the primary cycle. That's not the case this year as he mulls voting for either Sanders or Warren.

"The times are that much more dire," Bruss said. "I don't want to get it wrong."

Former New Hampshire state Sen. Bette Lasky says she's impressed with the Democratic field, but she's remained on the sidelines as well, even after hosting house parties for several candidates.

"Generally, I don't have trouble making up my mind," she said. "But (it's) difficult for me to get out there behind any one candidate."

Back in Iowa, 43-year-old Waterloo school employee Danielle Borglum said she expected to finalize her decision after watching the last debate, but she couldn't do it.

"I didn't realize the amount of people that we had as candidates!" Borglum said. "So many people have a plan. Is anyone really right?"

Bev Alderson, a 59-year-old retired teacher from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, said that she has "a couple of frontrunners, but they're not etched in stone."

"There's too much to be said yet. There's too many things that are happening and going on, it's just too early," she said.

While significant, history suggests that the uncertainty currently defining the 2020 primary season is not totally unique.

Before Iowa's 2004 contest, for example, former House Majority Leader Richard Gephardt, Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman and Vermont Gov. Howard Dean all led the polls at times before then-Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry made a late surge to win.

And three months before Iowa's 2008 Democratic caucuses, most polls had Hillary Clinton with a significant lead over John Edwards and a little-known Illinois senator named Barack Obama. Obama, of course, went on to win the Iowa caucuses by almost 8 points and Clinton finished third.

That history, backed by polling that shows most voters could still change their minds, is convincing low-polling underdog candidates to keep fighting.

"One of the things I've learned by listening to the people of Iowa is they tend to make up their minds fairly close to caucus night," former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke told reporters during a forum in Des Moines last week.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, who hasn't topped 3% in any Iowa poll since April, said he was encouraged by a crowd of 200 that showed up to see him speak the night before. He said he's getting a clear message from voters who say, "'I'm excited about you - you're first on my list, or you've moved up from four to two,' which I'm learning is really important in the Iowa caucuses."

And former Housing Secretary Julian Castro warned supporters last week that he'd need to raise $800,000 by the end of the month to keep his campaign alive. But he, too, seized on the large number of undecideds.

The primary campaign, Castro said, is "more unstable than it's ever been."

"You have a lot of people in these polls that, even though they express a preference for one candidate or another, are saying that they can still change their mind," he said. He added: "Three months is probably 10 lifetimes in politics."

Jennifer Konfrst, a first-term Iowa state senator, agrees.

She's supporting Booker, but she says many of her friends have already changed their minds about which candidate they like best.

"So many of my friends have three top choices - and they're not the same three," she said. "Anybody who says they know what's going to happen is lying."

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 10/28/2019 10:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Done!

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 10/28/2019 12:02 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Oh crap not uncertainty...

I am certain about one thing, when twitler tweets or speaks it is a third grade reading level pile of $hit

don't get caught up in hope old dudes the orange idiot is very much disliked
 10/28/2019 12:13 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

...ever heard of punctuation?

obviously not!

fool!

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 10/28/2019 02:52 PM

Greensleeves

hey an old dude that makes up crap!

as to the article:

"Nobody knows what to do," Metz said. "They're all afraid. There's a lot of anxiety."

sounds like the GOP dumb a$$e$ when Faux forgets to give them their talking points

Edited: 10/28/2019 at 02:56 PM by Greensleeves
 10/28/2019 04:16 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

He got BOO'ED at the World Series.. LOL that's not exactly your hippy-woodstock crowd, yet chants of LOCK HIM UP and plenty of middle fingers flying.

Uncertainty, sure -but maybe not where the blue hairs think..

10/29/2019 02:25 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

A lot of the anxiety is about who the Republican nominee will be.

I think any of the top 4 easily beats a still sitting impeached President Trump with under 40% positives, should it come to that. But does Donald have the stones or patience to slog it out , take that much rejection?

So it's really all just about the timing of his resignation/deal.

Then WTFK which way the flock scatters or gets herded to?
Will Bernie/Liz/Pete/Joe face President Pence or will the the Republican party try find its way back home with some rushed primaries?

Let's all just hope its a step back toward sanity. I remember saner times, when we disagreed about solutions and directions, but at least mostly agreed on the facts.

Step in that direction please, that path might actually go somewhere.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 11/11/2019 06:32 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Dingpatch is now officially off the libs Christmas and Birthday card list. These postings are making their collective heads explode. Anyone who dares to oppose their views are shunned and shamed by 4 or 5 kooks who want to control everything.... Sorry Howard but you will survive
 11/11/2019 07:31 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

You mad bro?

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/11/2019 07:48 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

The media will tell the Democrats who to vote for when it is time. Remember in 2016 when Hillary was losing the majority of the primaries to Bernie and the media was making it sound like Bernie was holding on by a thread? The media are experts at planting their seeds with the Democrats, blowing their dog whistles, and then letting the group-think do the rest, like a shepherd to his flock.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 11/11/2019 07:18 PM

Cole

Their uncertainty stems from their abject desire to rid this country of the orange fucking idiot.

This is a good thing, a very good thing.

I was right.
 11/11/2019 10:17 PM

Greensleeves

Sniper is talking Democrat's and media. What a dolt. The GOP has the state run cluster $uck called Faux and he's saying the dems are beholden to media? Oh boy that's s typical bizarre observation. Were recent Kentucky gubernatorial voters beholden to media? The 2018 midterm voters? Stuff it boomer

Edited: 11/11/2019 at 10:19 PM by Greensleeves
 11/12/2019 04:56 AM

dingpatch

And now, to add more fuel to the "fire: , , , , ,

Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick weighs potential late 2020 presidential bid: Sources
By RICK KLEINandKENDALL KARSON Nov 11, 2019, 7:28 PM ET

Deval Patrick, the politician who made history as Massachusetts' first black governor, is eyeing a potential late bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to two Democratic Party sources.

The ally of former President Barack Obama has begun reaching out to officials and potential aides about a possible late entry into the race, the sources said. The decision comes as a reversal to the announcement at the end of 2018 he would not run.

"I hope to help in whatever way I can. It just won't be as a candidate for president," he wrote in 2018, as he signaled that his concerns with launching a White House run were with "the cruelty of our elections process."

If the former governor decides to join the other 19 presidential contenders currently competing for the nomination, he would most likely announce Thursday, the day before the filing deadline in the first primary state of New Hampshire.

The New York Times was first to report Patrick was considering a run.

Ray Buckley, chair of the New Hampshire Democratic Party, said he "has not spoken with anyone about a potential Deval Patrick presidential campaign."

Patrick is the second Democrat to consider a late entry into the still-crowded primary field, after former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg filed to qualify for Alabama's primary last week, keeping his options open as he weighs his own last-minute run amid concerns over the current field's ability to defeat President Donald Trump.

The news of Patrick's possible entry already earned jeers from the Trump campaign's director of communication, Tim Murtaugh, who tweeted, "Late entries into the Democrat primary just mean that the existing cast of characters can't get it done. Not one of them can beat @realDonaldTrump and the new ones can't either."

Tim Murtaugh
?
@TimMurtaugh
Late entries into the Democrat primary just mean that the existing cast of characters can't get it done. Not one of them can beat @realDonaldTrump and the new ones can't either.

Patrick, a CBS News political commentator, expressed his own concerns about the primary field, saying last month on "CBS This Morning" that he thought former Vice President Joe Biden's "support was soft."

"I'm a fan of the vice president. I have known him a long time. I have always felt that his support was soft and it feels like his campaign is contracting rather than expanding," he said following the October debate.

He also added that he thought "poll numbers" don't "mean much right now" and suggested voters aren't keeping too close of an eye on the primary this early.

"I'm not sure that the poll numbers mean much right now. I keep meeting people who say, 'you know it's too much right now, I'm not focused right now. I'll focus when there are fewer candidates' and I suspect that moment will come soon."

Patrick hails from the same state as front-runner Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who has yet to weigh in on his renewed interest in running for president. But the candidate actually named Patrick as a possible member of her cabinet in an interview with Angela Rye last week, saying, "If I could talk about people who aren't politicians, I talk about my former governor, Deval Patrick, who is a pretty terrific guy."

Dora Hates You
 11/12/2019 05:19 AM

Cole

Have you watched Trump lately? lol

And we still have more than a year to go. Like WG says, I wonder who the Republican candidate will be in 2020?

I was right.
 11/12/2019 09:04 AM

dingpatch

I'm not too sure but, , , , I think that Tulsi has not yet said that she Would Not run as a Third Party candidate, , , , I think that some "Dems" are still pretty worried about her.

Hell, if she switched to the Republican party, I'd vote for her, , , , we need a vegan in the Oval Office.

Dora Hates You
 11/12/2019 09:46 AM

Greensleeves

The drab grey GOP praying for a third party candidate! They already hunched over so bowing to D rule should be easy for them.

PS If Tulsi is the nominee she'll get lots of votes. It would be hilarious to see twitler talk $hit about her service and he would.

Edited: 11/12/2019 at 09:47 AM by Greensleeves
 11/12/2019 10:12 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: dingpatch I'd vote for her, , , , we need a vegan in the Ovary Office.
FTFY and couldn't be any worse than what we got now...
 11/12/2019 10:39 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry
Originally posted by: dingpatch I'd vote for her, , , , we need a vegan in the Ovary Office.
FTFY and couldn't be any worse than what we got now...
Did you not see the bigs news. Hillary is "under enormous" pressure to get in. I think she should.

I :heart; Q
 11/12/2019 01:28 PM

Greensleeves

That come from Pravda?
 11/12/2019 02:40 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Gabbard is a friggin kook. From a family and a movement of ultra fringe kooks.
Supports Putin and al Assad. Heck with Nikki Haley, make her comrade chumpf's running mate.
Clinton running? Um, that's a big fat nyetski, devochka oinkblo.
duuuhhuuhuuh.......

It's a democratic hoax

Edited: 11/12/2019 at 02:42 PM by nukeh2o
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .