Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Violin Shops vs. Guitar Shops
Topic Summary: Why are core string shops so nice compared to most guitar shops?
Created On: 12/06/2021 03:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2021 03:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Why is it that the folks in Violin shops are so mellow and calm, while most guitar shops are kinda craaaaazy and high pressure?

Ok, that is not always true. Jacobs Custom Guitars on MI is awesome and Tom is really a pleasant low key guy. And there are some vintage and custom specialty shops that are very cool...but not that many around here.

But....try going to a core strings shop...it is so friking peaceful it is almost a zen experience.

My daughter is doing well playing violin and we want to get her a better instrument in the next year. Currently she has an older German violin, sturdy and sounds good but does not have the expression she is beginning to crave.
Going to a core strings shop is a trip. There are a couple in Orlando and one by Boca Raton and they are sooo nice and helpful. Of course you can spend anywhere from 1k to 100k+ for a violin very easily and many of the violins in these shops are tens of thousands of dollars. Those are not the ones we are seriously looking at! Ha! One strings shop actually recommend that we go to one of their competitors and try one of their violins as he thought it was a great violin. And he did so only with the intent of getting my daughter into an instrument that inspires her and makes her want to play. That was amazingly cool.

Anyway, guitar players complain (myself included) about the price of Gibson, Fender, and other high end and custom shop guitars...but even a great Gibby R8 is cheap compared to a merely decent violin.

No purpose to this post other than to rag on the cheapskate guitar players and say that if you are in Winter Park or ??? and see a core strings shop...walk in, breath deep, and take in some of that zen.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 12/06/2021 at 04:41 PM by Bamboo
 12/06/2021 05:17 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

You would be insane too if all you heard was Smoke on the Water and Stairway to Heaven, throw in a little tapping and triplet runs and it's official............."sounds great, now buy the guitar or amp before I have a nervous breakdown!".
 12/06/2021 05:28 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

LOL! I think you might be right.

"Ok...yeah....but this one goes to 11"...i can see how that mentality would get tiresome.
Meanwhile hearing Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D Major never gets old.

And here is your sign, Glide.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 12/09/2021 05:51 AM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

12/09/2021 10:16 AM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Excellent and VERY funny post , with a little Spinal Tap thrown in !
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .