Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Levon Helm 'This Wheel's On Fire'
Topic Summary: book review
Created On: 06/24/2021 11:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/24/2021 11:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I never really liked The Band, or Bob Dylan's music, but a friend suggested I read Levon Helm's book, 'This Wheel's On Fire'. I'm on the final chapter and have to say I'm glad I did read it. I have a new appreciation for The Band and have since listened to their music while reading it. What I liked about it was his insight into the early starts of Rock-n-Roll. He was raised in Mississippi on a cotton farm near Memphis as a child and saw Rock develop post WW2. He moved to Arkansas with his family and was based out of there.

The book details life on the road in the 50s and 60s as he travelled as the drummer for Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. An early rockbillly band that toured Quebec Canada extensively and the East coast. That band evolved into The Band and also Bob Dylan's Electric era backing band.

It's an interesting book that I would recommend if interested. It was an easy and quick read. I did sped read thru some of the material. But, if you like Folk Rock, Rock-n-Roll and are interested in The Band and all it's pitfalls and success of 16 years of a touring band then check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...g=sqrCF&ref_=pd_gw_unk
 06/25/2021 05:56 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Thanks for the recommendation, but, really - "I never really liked The Band, or Bob Dylan's music..." I hope you reconsider. Dylan, alone, and the Band, esp with Bob, are the shitz.
 06/26/2021 03:16 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Read it awhile back. Good read. I just read the new Levon bio by Sandra R. Tooz.

I was and still am a huge Band fan.

Levon was a great drummer in addition to a good mandolin player.
 07/02/2021 06:25 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Central Floridave I never really liked The Band,
Yer missin out, Dave!
 07/02/2021 08:01 AM

Central Floridave

I listened to the Band's entire catalog while reading the book. eh. it's alright, but mostly boring to me. I played 'the Weight' in a past cover band. Their music is nothing overwhelming for me. However, I get other's like it.

07/02/2021 08:38 AM

garcia

Listen to "The Last Waltz". It takes them to a new level. I am in Maine and "Acadian Driftwood" hits the spot.
 07/12/2021 05:05 PM

Central Floridave

cool video

GARTH HUDSON: The Return To Big Pink

https://vimeo.com/341917619
 07/12/2021 05:57 PM

garcia

You're right; way cool. Hard to believe it's been 54 years. Unfortunately, Garth shows every one of them. Thanks for sharing. Now you have to go back and listen to "The Last Waltz"!
 07/13/2021 06:07 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

I never really liked The Band, or Bob Dylan's music, but a friend suggested I read Levon Helm's book, 'This Wheel's On Fire'. I'm on the final chapter and have to say I'm glad I did read it. I have a new appreciation for The Band and have since listened to their music while reading it. What I liked about it was his insight into the early starts of Rock-n-Roll. He was raised in Mississippi on a cotton farm near Memphis as a child and saw Rock develop post WW2. He moved to Arkansas with his family and was based out of there.

The book details life on the road in the 50s and 60s as he travelled as the drummer for Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. An early rockbillly band that toured Quebec Canada extensively and the East coast. That band evolved into The Band and also Bob Dylan's Electric era backing band.

It's an interesting book that I would recommend if interested. It was an easy and quick read. I did sped read thru some of the material. But, if you like Folk Rock, Rock-n-Roll and are interested in The Band and all it's pitfalls and success of 16 years of a touring band then check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...g=sqrCF&ref_=pd_gw_unk

what did/do you not like about Dylan, he has a little of everything?

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 07/18/2021 12:07 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

yeah Dave, wtf. Be's been on both the covers of Rolling Stone & AARP mag! (don't ask me how I know!) Then again, I'm not a Phil Collins fan so , there's that.

Edited: 07/18/2021 at 12:08 PM by StirfryMcflurry
 08/18/2023 10:12 AM

Central Floridave

Musician and songwriter Robbie Robertson, best known for his work with The Band, died August 9, 2023 at age 80. In this "Sunday Morning" profile that originally aired December 18, 2016, Robertson talked with correspondent Anthony Mason about his memoir, "Testimony"; his years playing with Bob Dylan; and the rift with drummer Levon Helm that spelled the end of one of rock's most influential groups.

08/18/2023 05:22 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Damn...Sorry to hear this.
Huge fan of The Band, never saw them but saw the Last Waltz dozens of times. He also has some recent Playing for Change youtube vids that are worth watching.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 08/19/2023 09:21 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

I listened to the Band's entire catalog while reading the book. eh. it's alright, but mostly boring to me. I played 'the Weight' in a past cover band. Their music is nothing overwhelming for me. However, I get other's like it.

The weight is the only song I have of theirs. All the rest is too country fried for me.
 08/19/2023 09:57 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

He was good in "Shooter".

Dora Hates You
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .