Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2021 Rock-n--Roll Hall of Fame nominations
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2021 05:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2021 05:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

LL Cool J
Todd Rundgren
Tina Turner
Mary J Blige
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters (Their new album is pretty good btw)
Chaka Khan
Fela Kuti
Carole King
Rage Against The Machine
Devo
The Go-Go's
Kate Bush
Jay-Z
Dionne Warwick
New York Dolls
 02/11/2021 05:07 AM

Central Floridave

The list of 16 nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2021 Induction has been announced and the Fan Vote is now officially open. Today through April 30, fans can vote for up to 5 nominees daily.

https://vote.rockhall.com/
 02/11/2021 05:34 AM

Central Floridave

my quickee first impressions of list:

LL Cool J. -helped create gangsta rap. Good or bad, did help create a new genre. i liked a couple of his songs back in the 80s. But, not familiar with him now. See him on tv all the time.

Todd Rundgren Definitely part of rock history. Why not. Not a big fan but I have a friend who is.

Tina Turner - uh. yes. Her live shows with all the rock greats should be enough, but also she was there on the ground floor of rock n roll.

Mary J Blige - eh. I guess. I like her voice but not too familiar with her.

Iron Maiden Duh. of course.

Foo Fighters - yes. Keeping harder edge rock alive! I listened to their new album a couple days ago. Liked it.

Chaka Khan- Chaka khan chaka khan. Uh. sure. I guess.

Fela Kuti - heard the name would have to google to become familiar with.

Carole King- huh? not my cup of tea. folksy. Maybe, dunno.

Rage Against The Machine - yes. of course. the epitome of rock n roll. Sticking it to the man!

Devo - most definitely yes. ground breakers in quirky weird alternative.

The Go-Go's - eh. sure. they were there and made a dent.

Kate Bush - huge in England, made a splash in the USA with Peter Gabriel songs with collab. a year or two I went deeper in her catalog. eh...maybe.

Jay-Z - whatever. not too familliar with his music. but he is big in what he does.

Dionne Warwick - huh. dunno. i hate love ballads, so prob a no for me.

New York Dolls - influential glam rock band. I never was into them but other bands state they were influenced by them. I couldn't name one song they do but have checked out old youtube clips. Whatever. prob a no for me. Dress like women and play pub rock. I guess that was unique back in the 70s at the time.

Edited: 02/11/2021 at 05:36 AM by Central Floridave
 02/11/2021 11:15 AM

johnnyboy

Devo is overdue. I don't know how cool J, the lady's love, is that kind of influence. Rage would be awesome. Jay Z is such a music industry force that he may get it. I love the GoGos but they are not everyone's cup of tea. Same with Foo fighters and groehl in for a second time.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/11/2021 05:31 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Really?

Rock is dead.

Devo had lots of great songs that were mainstream first wave alt. ( Modern Life, No place like home )

Tina Turner was an awesome in concert.
Foo: ok

Most of these are not : ROCK

I like GoGo , but not enough there

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 02/11/2021 06:31 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

R&R Hall of Fame ...... F-ing, please.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 02/12/2021 03:03 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

They are literally trolling, at this point
 02/12/2021 06:49 AM

Central Floridave

billboard list who they think gets in and who don't with odds:

https://www.billboard.com/arti...me-2021-nominees-odds/
 02/12/2021 06:52 AM

Central Floridave

02/12/2021 07:02 AM

Central Floridave

Suffice to say that Todd Rundgren could care less as to whether his third time will be the charm with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The veteran rocker -- who kicks off his Clearly Human Virtual Tour on Sunday, Feb. 14 -- has been placed on the nominees ballot for a third straight year. But he won't be waiting with bated breath for the results.

"It's no secret that I don't care about it," Rundgren told Billboard during a break from rehearsals in Chicago, where the tour concerts will be emanating from. "It doesn't matter how many times they nominate me. It's not gonna make me care."
A few factors account for Rundgren's ambivalence (at best) towards the Rock Hall, which he terms "an industry invention." For starters, he's a firm believer that "true halls of fame are for retirees and dead people, because your legacy has been established. I'm too busy working to worry about my legacy -- and plan to continue working until whenever." He also finds the makeup of the nominee list and inductee classes veering too far from what he considers appropriate.

"I'm a big Dionne Warwick fan, but name me one Dionne Warwick rock 'n' roll song," he explains. "While I'm aware of Fela Kuti, I can't name a single musician who's ever cited him as a principal influence. Year by year it makes even less sense, so why would I be more excited about it or suddenly change my mind? Why don't they just start inducting blues guys? Why do they have to go to Dionne Warwick or Mary J. Blige?"

Rundgren's chief complaint, however, stems from how he feels his own fans were "duped" when he was first nominated during 2019. "They run this scam called the fan pool...but most fans don't realize that their votes count for absolutely nothing," Rundgren said. The top five nominees from the fan votes are turned into one additional ballot that's counted in addition to the 1,000-plus by artists and music industry professionals.

"So the first time I got nominated all my fans, who all these years have been like, 'Geez, you've got to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!," they all stepped up and bumped me up to No. 3 in the fan pool -- by a pretty wide margin. And then when the actual inductees were 1, 2, 4, 5, 6...they essentially hosed my fans. So that made me angry, and I had to tell them that it was pointless casting votes, 'cause it really doesn't count for anything."

Rundgren is also tacitly represented on this year's ballot via the New York Dolls, who's 1973 debut album he produced. "I was living New York City and was moving out to go upstate, and I thought I would pick one of those bands and do a little valentine to the New York scene before I left -- and the Dolls were pretty much the top contender," he recalled. "It was kind of a circus making that record 'cause they were living what they imagined was a rock 'n' roll lifestyle even though they hadn't put out a record and nobody out of New York City knew who they were."

02/12/2021 12:07 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Central Floridave "I'm a big Dionne Warwick fan, but name me one Dionne Warwick rock 'n' roll song," he explains. "While I'm aware of Fela Kuti, I can't name a single musician who's ever cited him as a principal influence. Year by year it makes even less sense, so why would I be more excited about it or suddenly change my mind? Why don't they just start inducting blues guys? Why do they have to go to Dionne Warwick or Mary J. Blige?"
/end thread
 02/13/2021 06:18 AM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Foo Fighters only
 02/13/2021 07:53 AM

johnnyboy

That criticism will never go away. That guy has exposed them. The only way to beat them is to join them.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/16/2021 04:52 AM

Central Floridave

I bet Rundgren will change his mind if voted in. Just playing hard to get. .

02/16/2021 04:54 AM

Central Floridave

Fan vote tallies to this date:

The top five artists, as selected by the public, will comprise a "fans' ballot" that will be tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2021 inductees.

You can visit vote.rockhall.com to cast a ballot daily. Fans will need to login to vote. Voting is capped at one ballot per day.

Fela Kuti
133975 Votes

Tina Turner
101150 Votes

Foo Fighters
74950 Votes

Iron Maiden
61727 Votes

Carole King
60088 Votes

The Go-Go's
55740 Votes

Dionne Warwick
44641 Votes

Rage Against the Machine
44182 Votes

Chaka Khan
43351 Votes

Devo
39148 Votes

Todd Rundgren
38298 Votes

Mary J. Blige
37718 Votes

JAY-Z
33759 Votes

LL Cool J
31568 Votes

New York Dolls
26538 Votes

Kate Bush
26030 Votes

Total Votes: 852,863

05/12/2021 11:05 AM

Central Floridave

Performer Category:
· Foo Fighters
· The Go-Go's
· JAY-Z
· Carole King
· Todd Rundgren
· Tina Turner

Ahmet Ertegun Award:
· Clarence Avant

Musical Excellence Award:
· LL Cool J
· Billy Preston
· Randy Rhoads

Early Influence Award:
· Kraftwerk
· Gil Scott Heron
· Charley Patton

The 36th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio.
The induction ceremony will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max at a later date.
 05/12/2021 11:11 AM

Central Floridave

Despite that one proper nod, many metalheads will surely be irked by the Hall of Fame's continued dismissal of indisputably significant acts like Maiden, Judas Priest and Motörhead - none of whom have been recognized despite having been eligible for nearly two decades. However, it's times like these when we should consider the wise words of Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson, who infamously torched the institution during a stop of his 2018 spoken word tour in Melbourne, Australia.

"I actually think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an utter and complete load of bollocks, to be honest with you," Dickinson told a room of fans. He added, "It's run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn't know rock & roll if it hit them in the face. They need to stop taking Prozac and start drinking fucking beer."
 05/15/2021 06:37 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Randy Rhoads! In my humble opinion, the greatest talent to ever touch a guitar. What he accomplished by the age of 25 is not nearly as mind blowing as what he could have achieved had he lived. His melding of classical and heavy metal guitar was and is some of the most amazing work ever recorded. Listen to Over the Mountain, Believer, or Mr. Crowley and tell me it doesnt still blow minds. Next year will mark 40 years since the crash. Can anyone even imagine what we would be listening to today if he had not gotten on that plane???
 05/15/2021 09:14 AM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Can't see why a few of them have not been in there many many moons ago.. Carole King (as 'singer/songwriter' & 'composer' (with Geffin)), Tina Turner (def way way bigger/better than 'Ike & Tina' - who are already in there), Dionne Warwick (classic Motown), Devo (not my cup of tea but def punk groundbreakers - 1975?), Todd Rundgren (Utopia - 70's) .. Def lots of others in there, but they can wait for later

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 11/01/2021 06:30 AM

Central Floridave

Cleveland hosts 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony; look back at our event and backstage coverage

https://www.wkyc.com/article/e...44cb-8632-105cfb17fce4
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .