Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bob Dylan sells his entire catalog of songs to Universal
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/07/2020 06:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2020 06:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

New York (CNN Business)Bob Dylan has sold his entire catalog of songs, which encompasses more than 600 songs over 60 years, in a "landmark agreement" with Universal Music Publishing Group.

The agreement between Dylan and the company was announced Monday. It's a major shift for the singer and songwriter, who has controlled much of his own intellectual property according to multiple reports. Financial terms weren't disclosed, but the New York Times says it's estimated at more than $300 million.
"To represent the body of work of one of the greatest songwriters of all time - whose cultural importance can't be overstated - is both a privilege and a responsibility," said Universal Music Publishing Group CEO Jody Gerson in a statement.
"It's no secret that the art of songwriting is the fundamental key to all great music, nor is it a secret that Bob is one of the very greatest practitioners of that art," added Sir Lucian Grainge, the CEO of Universal Music Group. "Brilliant and moving, inspiring and beautiful, insightful and provocative, his songs are timeless - whether they were written more than half a century ago or yesterday."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07...ong-catalog/index.html
 12/07/2020 06:52 AM

Central Floridave

Cha-ching Cha-ching.

A couple of days ago there was an article that Stevie Nicks sold her entire catalog to another publishing company for millions.

It's amazing how much money legacy music is worth!

12/07/2020 06:04 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

what is that old goat going to do with 300 million!? I watched the documentary "Rolling Thunder" on netflicks and thought it was pretty good. He is one of my favorite artists, his nobel prize speach is on youtube and really good IMO

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/08/2020 09:05 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

That actually sounds rather low considering the depth and volume of his material spanning multiple generations , I wonder if he was able to put certain stipulations into how it would be used and or marketed at least during his remaining lifetime ,usually when you sell the rights , that is it,you have sold the rights period and have no further say in the matter . I can not imagine a Dylan tune being used to sell a Cadillac or as a GOP Campaign ad ? 'The times are indeed a changing " ( and not for the better,,,)

Edited: 12/08/2020 at 11:17 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 12/09/2020 10:14 AM

Central Floridave

To this day, I think the doors music is still locked out from commercials. The story of using Light my Fire for a cadillac commercial is interesting.

For Stevie Nicks, sold out to cranberry juice ads! Whatever, it is about making money from your art that you produce. I don't have an opinion either way. Sell out or not. just interesting that songs from 40-50 years ago are worth 300 million bucks now!
 12/09/2020 05:28 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Johnny Quest (Thinks We're Sellouts)" Well I really don't know if it matters at all so but we try to keep the prices low for our records and our shows but is that is that enough or is (it) that we're not punk enough or is (it) that you think ska just sucks (but) Johnny Quest, he thinks we're what? [Chorus:] Johnny Quest thinks we're sellouts, sellouts Johnny Quest thinks we're sellin' out, (we're) sellin' out, yeah Johnny Quest thinks we're sellouts, sellouts - Less Than Jake

Edited: 12/09/2020 at 05:30 PM by StirfryMcflurry
 02/19/2021 07:11 AM

Central Floridave

Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis' Iconic Recordings Sold to Primary Wave Music in Massive Deal
Lewis' mega-hit song "Great Balls of Fire" sold a whopping one million copies within one week of its debut

By Darlene Aderoju January 29, 2021 05:35 PM

On Thursday, Primary Wave Music announced that they had acquired Sun Records. The huge deal includes master recordings from some of music's biggest names, including Cash and Lewis along with other fellow hitmakers such as Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and The Dixie Cups

https://people.com/music/johnn...to-primary-wave-music/
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .