Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Five teenage girls....
Topic Summary: who played their own instruments and wrote their own songs.
Created On: 08/05/2020 06:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/05/2020 06:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

And changed the world.

http://www.npr.org/2020/08/05/...gos-perfected-pop-punk

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/05/2020 09:32 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Did you watch the documentary yet? I want to watch it but docs are hit or miss for me.
 08/05/2020 04:58 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

I was in the santa barbara area surfing my brains out in 78. I lived in isla vista next to the college. What an amazing time and amazing place to be. Musically, and surf wise.
Punk was booming, al merrick was king, and endless swell.
Saw them in some club, they were good. Years later i actually set their show up and talked.
Bless you girls

spindrift

08/05/2020 06:12 PM

johnnyboy

There is a great quote in here about them selling out.>> I understand this because I felt this way, too, about bands precious to me. It's your private thing! You discovered it, hardly anyone knows about it, it's like your secret treasure! When the rest of the world discovers it and loves it, it takes away the specialness of it. That's definitely how I see the whole thing about us being sell-outs: we were just being ourselves and moving along on a track that I don't think even we were totally sure of. Yes, we wanted to be successful, but every band in the world wants to be successful. There's nothing traitorous or strange about that! Nobody wants to play in their bedroom for their whole life.<<

This a good description of me. I used disown bands when they committed the cardinal sin of commercially succeeding. I am what Dave Grohl refers to as a punk snob. I cant even look at the Punk thread on here without feeling the need to correct, clarify and expound in a way that is nothing short of condescending.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/06/2020 02:46 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hey spindrift - my sister was at UCSB 79-82. I'd go visit, surf that on campus break, then we'd drive up the coast, surf some more, and finally get to parents place north of SFO. Yes, good times, good music, even better surf

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/06/2020 08:57 AM

johnnyboy

It makes sense that their sound was a combination of oldies inspired beach boys and surf music morphed onto punk. I can easily see listening to the oldies stations and digging those songs just to avoid the contemporary bs radio. Then punk comes along as a solution but it's flavored with the melodies and sun shine of socal. It all makes sense to me now. That also sounds like one of those pivotal moments in time that seem small and normal to the participants when it's happening and then, without warning, it's over. All you can see is the ripples and they are moving away in every direction to people entirely ignorant of that first splash. I think we all have one of these moments. Some have many. As surfers, I stared right before the thruster was invented. It was amazing. The same thing with punk. Ironically the same thing with New Orleans live brass music.

08/06/2020 01:48 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Commercial success is almost always a turn off , as soon as I heard Jane's Addiction and the Red Hot"s on the radio it was like time to move on , ( Almost the same with REM ,except I still bought their records ) One of the Go Go"s better tracks : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQyazt4RDTM

Edited: 08/06/2020 at 01:49 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 08/07/2020 11:56 AM

Greensleeves

spin I was going to CalPolySlo then and came down that year to IV for the Halloween party weekend staying on Del Playa. Dang that was a party!!!

I was lifeguarding then in the summers at Pt. Mugu. The area punk scene was so good!
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .