Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: PUNK ROCK 101
Topic Summary: A Beginners Course (Part One )
Created On: 07/14/2020 05:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/14/2020 05:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Lets start with something mellow ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TjzdbNwTCY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbXciBKcfQ8 (The Devil Built My Hot rod ! )

Edited: 07/14/2020 at 06:57 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 07/14/2020 07:01 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I saw ministry a couple times in that time period of the vid. They did have a chain link fence between them and the crowd. Saw them at Palm Bay Civic Center and then again in Orlando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TjzdbNwTCY
 07/14/2020 07:27 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Way Fucking cool Dave , i saw them twice in Cali and again right here at home , at FIT in Melbourne -----anybody remember that show ? , They burnt the " Fucking House " down !
 07/15/2020 04:40 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

ah hell yea:
AmeriKKKant

Ministry

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/15/2020 11:25 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

I saw them pretty much face to face in Ybor City with KMFDM. Saw them again as and with Revolting Cocks and then again as 1000 homo DJs. If there was an industrial band playing, I was usually there. I wouldn't call ministry punk rock though. It's post-punk and more accurately labeled industrial. Punk roots, yeah. Punk, no.
 07/15/2020 12:41 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Well you are kind of " splitting hairs " and making a valid point at the same time . ( Were back to percentages again ) I always considered them industrial punk . Besides which, if you have to tour with a Goddamn chain link fence that is about as punk as it gets . ( The roadies must of loved setting that up and taking it down day after day ! ) Pretty cool that so far 2 other forum members actually saw them live , you both have excellent taste in music . Both the Melbourne and Orlando shows are available on the " In case you didn't feel like showing up " live cd . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjR_tJaKQ08

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 12:43 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 07/15/2020 01:46 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Punk?
Fear, black flag, x, the pistols, Jello biafra etc. Early clash.
The Blues bros had a chain link fence, btw
Had a beer with fear. Nuthouse surf parties......
That's punk.

-------------------------
It's a democratic hoax
 07/15/2020 03:03 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: nukeh2o

Punk?

Fear, black flag, x, the pistols, Jello biafra etc. Early clash.

The Blues bros had a chain link fence, btw

Had a beer with fear. Nuthouse surf parties......

That's punk.

^ that's punk and if you want to get even older, The Stooges, perhaps the first "Punk Band".

Industrial is definitely a shoot off. You can't have industrial without punk.

My favorite all time punk bands are the Misfits and Minor Threat. Buzzcocks come in 3rd.

If you want to watch something really cool.....

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 03:06 PM by HAPDigital
 07/15/2020 03:09 PM

HAPDigital

Here is an industrial classic....

I'm gonna tap into stuff you probably forgot...

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 03:20 PM by HAPDigital
 07/15/2020 05:05 PM

JOESTRUMMER

You are getting a little bit ahead of me, ( but this thread is open to all ..... ) Try , I say try to avoid posting any Pistols , Clash , DKs , Tsol , Black flag , Circle Jerks , Bad Brains , Agent Orange , Suicidal Tendencies , Gangrene , Social D. and Bad Religion ,as I have a evil " Master Plan " . When I get to Black Flag : I have a VERY funny personal Henry Rollings and Iggy Pop story to tell ( Actually Two Iggy Pop stories ) Everyone stay safe ----and wear a Fucking mask ! nukeh2o : I trust this is more your cup of tea? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12kcpP-8jfM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUXoomaEP7k

Edited: 07/16/2020 at 02:23 AM by JOESTRUMMER
 07/16/2020 11:05 AM

Central Floridave

Saw My Life w/thrill kill kult at Melbourne's power station. off of wickham. They were really good. I love that sound.

Others mentioned in thread.

Saw Meat Beat Manifesto in Orlando. some old theater. It was just one guy behind a keyboard. It was pretty good I think. Hardly anyone there if I remember correctly.

Saw Nitzer Ebb at Visage, Orlando. They were really good live.

Front 242 also at Visage. Really good. I liked how they were all electronic drums. 3 guys jumping around and banging it out. it was a cool show.

KMFDM I think opened up for Ministary at Palm Bay. Revolting Cocks also played melbourne power station.

my all time Industrial band is Skinny Puppy. Seen them 3 times, early 90s, 2000's then about 5 years ago. all in orlando. They are a show not to miss.

Concerning the genre between Industrial and Punk. I can see Industrial being considered punk. Punk is more of a lifestyle more that genre of music. Going against the establishment, questioning authority, etc. However, in the strictest of genre definitions I would say industrial may have sprung off of punk. It is a genre all itself. Even today there are great bands that play industrial. Some of it sounds 'canned' as it is so easy to make that sound nowadays. But, can you imagine back in the 80s when it was coming around how hard it was to produce that sound? They were real musicians back then. Most were on heavy drugs though. Don't know if that helped or hurt. I never was into the heavy drugs, but just interested in the harder edged rock n roll music.

07/16/2020 02:56 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Sounds like you were a very avid concert goer . Nothing like live music ! We were lucky to have so many great bands perform locally . Here is a certain Mr Lydon ( post Pistols ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BGi8u8BtaA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPj-8_wOZcA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFOjktDN0IA ( He looks so smug and almost downright evil in the first video -------- they should of cast him as the Joker in the Batman franchise ! )

Edited: 07/16/2020 at 03:19 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 07/17/2020 06:43 AM

Central Floridave

Yes, I went to pretty much every concert in the 80s/early90s until I graduated from college and became a working stiff.

Went to everything, punk, reaggae, industrial, hair bands. AND, i've got the tinnitus to prove it!
 07/17/2020 11:27 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Punk was a lifestyle, we were outcast, dirty skaters...I lived in Tampa during the 80's ...sk8 the Bro Bowl then go to the Cuban Club or the Ritz for All ages shows...It was a dark dangerous scene , Skinheads and violence..Heck they even pulled Henry Rollins off stage and beat him up during a show. The Dead Milkmen were boo'd off the stage and barely got out of the venue. OVERALL - It started with Stooges and MC5 and Ramones but ended when D.R.I. went from Hardcore to Metal with their "Crossover" album...mohawks turned to long hair , skinheads (well they still thrived to everyone's dismay). A brief look back at my scene, was 50/50 if things were going to be a good show or riot. 50/50 if you were going to be part of a brawl even if you didn't want trouble. Tampa Punk Scene

Edited: 07/17/2020 at 12:15 PM by SurferMic
 07/17/2020 01:21 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: Central Floridave
i've got the tinnitus to prove it!

Walter Reed Medical Center has done a bunch of good research on tinnitus, given all the military exposure to IEDs.

University of Michigan (The Shore Lab) has also done some promising research developing a therapy that can help zero out certain types of tinnitus (like if the pitch changes when you pinch your lip, press your jaw, or various stimuli that affect nerves physically close to the ear).

I tried to get into their study a few years ago. Might reconsider that now that I'm working remotely. (You had to be in Ann Arbor on a regular basis for 6-8 weeks). Michigan might be a nice change during our summer.

And now, back to Punk...

Besides, it's just punk rock, man. You know, you don't have to know how to play. All you just got to do is be a punk, man. We could do that.
-- Cheech Marin, on the way to the Rock Fight.

07/18/2020 10:19 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Lets go with the godfather of punk.

07/18/2020 07:05 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Ministry... PUNK 101?!?! GTFOH!! Mic and Slimy got it right.... btw.,, good timing. I just finished reading this book:

Edited: 07/18/2020 at 07:10 PM by Plan B
 07/19/2020 05:11 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

^ I'll check out the read..thanks...Back to the Music of Punk 101...Dirty Rotten Imbeciles DRI LIve 1984 ..... (How do you link the youtube pic/link?)

Edited: 07/19/2020 at 06:58 AM by SurferMic
 07/19/2020 06:13 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

It's kinda crazy.... alot of their lives driven by Heroin addicted desperation. Basically focuses on the Lou Reed - Iggy - Ramones - sex pistols days.
 07/20/2020 10:46 AM

JOESTRUMMER

PlanB : I respectfully disagree . Define Punk , it is a attitude of non conformity , defying authority , it is about shaking up the establishment and the status quo ,it is a state of mind and as SurferMic said it is a lifestyle . The early Beat poets were Punk , some post WWII motorcycle gangs (until they turned into organized crime) were Punk , certain Rock a Billy bands were Punk , to a certain extent Elvis was Punk , James Dean and Marlon Brando were Punk , Little Richard and James Brown were Punk ,Bob Dylan was Punk , Gonzo journalist Hunter S Thompson was Punk , the list goes on and on . I do however concede that the title of the thread is a bit misleading as it implies a introductory course into the birth of Punk rock and as such perhaps I should have gone with the Velvet Underground , The Stooges , The New York Dolls or the Pistols " God Save The Queen "----but that's all been done before . ( PS : In the interest of accuracy, I edited the thread title ) ( Sonny Curtis was punk : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHC2Mnf_HXo )
FORUMS : FOOD ...........and Music : PUNK ROCK 101

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .