Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Jobriath
Topic Summary: Lost rock artist
Created On: 01/05/2020 10:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2020 10:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I never heard of Jobriath until today. In my deep wikipedia readings on some obscure subject the name Jobriath popped up. After some quick google reads I listened to Jobriath's first album from 1973 that is self titled on Apple Music. I'll I gotta say is go and listen to that lost masterpiece album. How this escapes Rock History is beyond me. What a great rock album.
 01/05/2020 12:33 PM

Central Floridave

I have since listened to Jobriath's 2nd album released in 1974. Creatures of the Street.

For one, I see the bio of him being the first gay musician signed to a major label. He died from AIDS in 1981. His life is tragic and controversy.

However, his music is outstanding. Elements of other great artist. Probably influential to them afterwards or was influenced by. Obviously drag queen lyrics, but also rock themes, mystic, rock history, insightful, street stories, fictional characters, and other weird lyrics. What I hear is that he was obviously a world-class pianist and the songs all have melodic R&B based piano in them. It is common to relate music to what have heard before. Thus, what I hear from Jobriath is music of his times. I hear Elton-john (piano and vocals), Grateful-dead (extended jazzy jams, guitar lead solos mixed with bluegrass, Early classic rock, Drums are typical 70s drums, obviously acoustice with a lot of drum rolls. Some brass instruments on some songs. I hear the rolling stones in the dark themes lyrics and blues-rock type of songs. Some songs I feel I'm in a middle of a circus and some songs It feels dangerous to listen to. Interesting stuff. Always great to hear new music, even it is 50 years old. There is also 50's based doo-wop and plain silly songs, with a lot of rock history cliches, but the piano playing keeps it authentic. Also, I can hear Freddie Mercury in Jobriath. Who came first? Or could he be considered an American Freddie Mercury? That is all. Rock On!
 01/08/2020 11:26 AM

johnnyboy

googling now.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/09/2020 10:41 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Slightly reminds me of Roky Erickson in a way. Just a little.
 01/10/2020 11:10 AM

Central Floridave

I wouldn't google it, just listen to the music. That is what I did first. After reading bout him I'm like wow, His lifestyle isn't what I would emulate but his music is pretty darn good. What a great piano player and songwriter.

Never heard of Roky Erickson. I see he died earlier this year. I'll check out his music this weekend.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .