Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Random notes on my Grand Canyon visit
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2022 10:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2022 10:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Random notes on my Grand Canyon visit.

1. Interesting litter laying around: bits and pieces of cheap shoes that were never meant to be worn anywhere.

2. Lots of "rugged" individuals stumbling around with bloody shins and knees. It is a really big hassle when you are expected to actually "watch your step". LOL

3. One "privileged" lady was Fit-to-be-tied upset pissed that there were no sidewalks!!! Her Hermes sandles where way, way, out of their league!! She should have stayed back at the Bellagio.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 11/02/2022 11:12 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Lol. The first hundred miles or so of the AT are "littered" with gear from people lightening the load.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/03/2022 04:41 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: tom The first hundred miles or so of the AT are "littered" with gear from people lightening the load.
same with: eastern states... from folks headed west...
 11/03/2022 06:16 AM

WorldBFree

Joined Forum: 10/27/2016

Originally posted by: tom

Lol. The first hundred miles or so of the AT are "littered" with gear from people lightening the load.

The single most important question to ask before hiking...Can I hire a Sherpa?

Slide On

11/03/2022 03:14 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Mules or llamas can be helpful. I've never been much of an overnight hiker, have spent lots of nights sleeping on a pickup's bench seat.
 11/03/2022 06:45 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

When I was living in the Western States llamas were a wilderness pack animal that were somewhat uncommon so it was cool when you crossed paths with people using them. They are great in that they carry a good load and are easy on the trails, and from what I understand are pretty easy to wrangle and be around.

But, i have a soft spot for mules. A good mule is a wonderful animal. When I was working summers as a teenager in the Forest Service in the Marble Mountain Wilderness the Forest Service had a string of mules they used for backcountry work for some of the projects. My crew packed everything on our backs and was jealous of the crews that had a mule or two. They are actually really friendly, and even kind of playful and bond with their wrangler.

WW - yeah, done my share of backpacking and enjoyed it but also had a good pickup rigged up to sleep in the back and camp. Spent a lot of nights sleeping in ski resort parking lots or off road trails to be the first to make tracks down the mountain. Also great for camping the other three seasons. That was way before this "overlander" craze. We were just poor kids who enjoyed the outdoors and 4x4 pickups used to be cheap used and reasonable new.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 11/04/2022 06:22 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

We are headed out West this holiday break. No plans on hiking - I don't even like doing it on flat ground. Dark skies are our goal.

I was right.
 11/06/2022 11:00 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

4x4 trucks have indeed gone from affordable (and farm/ranch) to luxury. Thinking of luxury, I should have compromised my finances by buying a new Land Rover D90 in Portland, late 90s. Could have sold for "new" price. Then again, when living in Portland, an aging Geo Prizm (a rebranded Toy Corolla built in California) was perfect for not attracting attention, or thieves who preyed on Toyotas. I'd been with BLM range management in the Wyoming Bighorn Basin.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .