Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: D-Day
Topic Summary: First radio reports of landings in France
Created On: 02/11/2022 11:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2022 11:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

If you have any interest in history, I thought this was very interesting. I'm only a little way into it, but you can pretty much listen to the radio news from the very first reports of the allied invasion of Europe. It's a unique perspective, and you can imagine sitting by the radio waiting and listening to the fate of democracy play out.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/12/2022 04:25 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

That is really cool, a great bit of insight into what our world was like and how important a radio was to communicate.

My family has a couple of vintage console type radios from the 30's and 40's (that work!) and can only imagine what it was like to have the family sit around the radio listening to news and shows. SeriusXM has a classic radio channel and it is fun to listen to the old shows. Also, my Dad had a fantastic short wave radio and as kids we would listen to stations from all around the world, he was hip on the numbers stations, too.

But with this being D-Day...this is pretty heavy. I wonder if they have the announcement of pearl harbor? That would bookend this post. Hmmm..have to look.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/12/2022 04:55 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Radio announcements and bulletins about pearl harbor.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/14/2022 06:37 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I've got a Deco 1946 Ward "Airline" vacuum tube radio that I picked up at an antique shop and discovered it had already been restored electronically. It works, just the only station I can pick up clearly is religious.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
FORUMS : NPNR : D-Day

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .