Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: College Football Playoff committee releases first poll tonight.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2021 05:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2021 05:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Will be interesting on where they place the top 4.

my interest is where they put Cincinnati. The AP and Coach poll have them at #2.

Good article recapping it all.

Predicting the top 10 of first 2021 Playoff rankings
Connor O'Gara | 24 minutes ago

Honestly, it's gonna be a mess.

The first Playoff rankings are going to reflect the chaos we've already seen this year. We have stunning unbeaten Power 5 teams like Michigan State and Wake Forest, and preseason favorites like Alabama and Ohio State already with a loss as a double-digit favorites, and then we have Georgia.

OK, so we know Georgia is going to be No. 1. But that's about all we know.
Are we sure that unbeaten Oklahoma is going to be No. 2? Or will the selection committee roll with Alabama, Cincinnati or even Michigan State? It feels like we're bracing for a 2-7 that's all over the place. Is 1-loss Ohio State going to be ranked ahead of 1-loss Oregon?

Thankfully, I don't have a seat at the selection committee table. I will, however, pretend that I do in order to predict how Tuesday's first Playoff rankings (7 p.m. ET on ESPN) will play out.

Remember, this is what I think will happen, not necessarily what I think should happen.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth....playoff-rankings-2021/
 11/02/2021 04:27 PM

Central Floridave

1) Georgia 2) Bama 3) Mich-State 4) Oregon 5) Ohio State 6) Cinci.
 11/02/2021 04:35 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Where are the Florida teams?? Oh, yeah, in the shitter. Dan Mullen, never my favorite choice when he was hired, is finally on the hot seat. That said, none of the guys who were available in 2017 has done squat. So, what do I know? I would have gone after Pruitt, Sumlin and (can't think of his name at Houston). So, again, what do I know? (Rhetorical question, obviously not much.)
 11/03/2021 07:58 AM

johnnyboy

Tennessee will finish with a better record than Florida. Florida could be forgiven for losing to Alabama and Georgia, but Kentucky and Louisiana? That three minutes before the half with Georgia was probably the worst football scenario anyone could imagine.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/03/2021 08:17 AM

Central Floridave

College Football Playoff rankings: Snub to Cincinnati and Group of 5 is simply unbearable

https://www.espn.com/college-f...up-5-simply-unbearable
 11/03/2021 08:36 AM

garcia

johnnyboy - It certainly was. In fact, it was Zookish. Mullen is on a very hot seat.
 11/03/2021 12:10 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Dan Mullen is a lazy a$$ recruiter. He needs to realize that 9 out of 10 times, he's not going to out-scheme superior athletes. UF's recruiting class is ranked in the 20s, which should never happen
 11/04/2021 12:44 PM

johnnyboy

Mullin has spent considerable time, energy and money developing his quarterbacks. Its remarkable how little the Gators have to show for it. As for Cincinnati, I am biased because I do not see them ranked above Alabama. Yes Alabama lost to Texas AM but there other games and schedule are brutal and far more difficult than Cincinnati's. That's not Cincinnati's fault but does anyone believe that they could best Alabama?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/04/2021 01:30 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: johnnyboy
does anyone believe that they could best Alabama?

Did anyone believe UCF's 2017 team could beat the team (Auburn) that beat the eventual champs (Alabama) that year?

Big upsets can occur when given the chance to occur, but can't if they aren't.

The CFP pollsters' placement of UC at #6 gives them plausible deniability.

Their story is that some of the teams ahead of UC still have a chance to lose, whereas UC is expected to win out, and if those happen, UC is in.

Their hope and the logic behind it is that they can say they put UC in a place to have a chance, but better teams didn't lose. "Oh well, sorry."

Remember how a suckass ND team was glorified and elevated last year?

As one commenter put it for UC, "Maybe they should have had a better team in 1954."
 11/04/2021 04:58 PM

Central Floridave

The only game Cinci has lost in the past two years was against current #1 team Georgia. It took Georgia a record breaking 53 yard field goal to beat Cinci with 3 seconds to go in Jan 1, 2021 bowl game.

Cinci returned 90 percent of the team from that game. Georgia probably improved from that game as well but Cinci did as well with Senior laden team.

I'd like to see the rematch.
 11/04/2021 05:21 PM

johnnyboy

You make good points. I admit my bias too. This will be exciting to see.

11/04/2021 06:41 PM

whitey

Joined Forum: 12/03/2011

Suckass ND team? They beat #3 and only had 2 loses. Maybe mediocre but not suckass. The Peach bowl did'nt mean shit to Auburn. Not much of a upset when a team has players that aren't playing for fear of injury and loss of millions. Just my opinion
 11/05/2021 05:10 AM

johnnyboy

I did get laugh when UCF signed Auburn's coach and he had to see their National Championship banner at the bounce house.

11/05/2021 05:51 AM

Central Floridave

"The Peach bowl did'nt mean shit to Auburn"

Oh Now YOU DID IT...poked my inner bear...(...activate UCF fandom rant coming...)

That's a false narrative. I was at the game and I saw them play really hard and looked to me they were trying to win. UCF only scored 13 first half points when typically they would have scored twice that many.

You must not have watched the game. Plus, UCF had more players play in the game that went to the NFL than Auburn did. Nice try.

Also, Scott Frost who already took the Nebraska job came back to coach UCF in the bowl game.

Auburn had only one player sit out that game, Carlton Davis. It was reported he was injured and was preparing for the draft. He is currently on Injury Reserve with the Tampa Bay Buccs. Prob a good decision for him to sit out that game. Would have dropped his draft stock losing.

Then the same UCF team went undefeated in 2018 and barely lost to LSU (with our 2nd string qb) who went on the following year to win the National Championship. This is very similar to Cincy's current situation.

Cincy is in a two year win streak with a great coach and players. Only loss is a narrow win by Georgia in the bowl game. Did that bowl game not mean shit to them as well?

Hey competitive football players, this game means shit, don't play well and lose on purpose. Wha? Yeah right you are wrong.

Cincy is a really good team. You probably haven't watched them. I watched every down when they pounded UCF, and the Notre Dame game who is currently at #10.

I've watched Georgia as well. They are pretty damn good as well and look unbeatable.

It will be interesting to see how it finishes. Hope Cincy remains undefeated and gets a chance to play for a National Championship. They lose a ton of players after this year and I don't know how much longer they will hang on to Coach Luke Fickell. I hope they keep him while both UCF and Cinci head off into the Big 12 in 2023.

Meanwhile, UCF can slide to bowl eligible (6-3) with a win this weekend. I'll be at the game, Go Knights!
 11/05/2021 07:43 AM

garcia

As I have ranted now ever since this topic started, the only solution is to bag the quest to determine a "true Natl Champion". It is a fool's errand and will only make fans pissed off (right, Dave?). It truly was better before this quest. Basketball started with an 8 team tourney. Now, they are up to 70-some and still, STILL the ones left out are pissed claiming (rightly so) there is no difference between them and the last ones let in. They cannot expand the football playoffs enough to not piss off fans (unless they totally trash the conferences and traditional rivalries which they are already doing. See Okla/Texas as only one example). Do you think 12 will be enough? No way! No. 13 will be able to make a very good case that they are better than no. 12. Just go back to the bowl system and the conference tie-ins and people will be much, much happier. "We won our conference and our bowl!" So WHAT if there are two or three teams ranked no. 1 at the end of the season? That means two or three teams and fanbases are happy. That's a good thing. And, we will start watching (and attending) all the bowl games again. That's another good thing. This crap system is all in the name of making ESPN a shit ton of money. It is not about the teams or the fans. Who even watches a whole game anymore, esp one of the lesser bowls? Who can stay up? We used to be really excited about Jan 1 and all the bowl games. It was an orgy of football and it was done AND we only had to worry about one day of sleepiness at work. The current system goes on for eternity and it SUCKS.
 11/05/2021 07:45 AM

garcia

I should have concluded, "It SUCKS and it can't be fixed to the satisfaction of the fans."
 11/05/2021 08:14 AM

Central Floridave

Make College Football Great Again!

I would like to see more parity in college football. I think one way to clean it up is not allow the schools to make their own schedules and have the NCAA or an independent org schedule games. That may help.

and, btw, Saturday morning ESPN College GameDay is at Cincinnati tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how their fans react to all of this.

I'm looking forward to going to a college football game tomorrow. Gonna be cold and rainy in central Florida. Where's my poncho...

11/05/2021 09:18 AM

garcia

Supposed to be windy, but, not rainy.

You are too hung up on trying to get UCF into a better position and in order to do so, you seem to be willing to blow up all the traditions that used to make college football great (or at least the few that remain, anyway). Nationalize scheduling?? That means blowiing up the conferences and traditional rivalries. None of the changes made in the past 20 years has made college football better for the fans or players. You seem to be in ESPN's bed where it is all about making tons of money.
 11/05/2021 09:37 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

The gift that keeps on giving ..... CentoDavo's hyper partisan, blind loyalty and totally misguided rants ...... they fucking crack me up.

and no Dave, I am not going to do a point by point rebuttal of your nonsense as your ears are too full of black&gold crazy to hear the truth.

Dave calling me a "hater" in 3,2,1 ........

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.

Edited: 11/05/2021 at 09:52 AM by LBLarry
 11/05/2021 09:39 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Oh and Garcia ..... could you please post something that is not look like one big never ending sentence!! that shiznit is unreadable!!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
FORUMS : NPNR : College Football Playoff committee releases first ...

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .