Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Chiropractor recommends?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/16/2021 04:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/16/2021 04:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Some sciatica, Dr. says try chiropractor. I've always kept away from them, suspicious me. Any recommends for similar condition?

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/16/2021 05:20 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Following along on this one. I have same issues in lower back/sciatica. I've been to a chiropractor and it did not help me at all. I also paid good money for a massage that concentrated on that area which included cupping. The massage seemed to help the best, but it only lasted a couple days. MRI is next on the list for me and go from there...
 04/16/2021 05:21 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Mike Ville in Sat Beach. I used him 30 years ago when I was running and playing a lot of basketball. He kept my back issues to a minimum. I recently went back for back issues and he had me out in 5 visits. One of my issues with chiropractors is they want you to keep coming in for "maintenance". Mike is not like that. He works the problem, gets you back on your feet and that's it. He doesn't ring up the x-ray, etc bills. He was able to solve my problem based on my description. He told me it would take about 4-6 visits and, if that didn't solve it, he would take some x-rays. He also works with Dr. Vliegenhart, a local back surgeon of some renown.
 04/16/2021 06:23 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Mixed experience here with chiros. I can't endorse any of them glowingly, but I've gotten some relief and help from a few.

Some distinctions to be made: sciatica vs pseudo-sciatica.
Definition: Pseudo-sciatica is a diagnostic term sometimes used to describe sciatic nerve symptoms which are not caused by the typical spinal sources. Other names for pseudo sciatica are wallet sciatica, hip socket neuropathy and Deep Gluteal Syndrome

I had a horrible episode in the latter category. Basically "piriformis syndrome" -- butt cheek muscles too tight from bicycling, piriformis started to impinge on the lower portion of the sciatic nerve, where it goes under the glutes on its way down the leg.

I had a deep tissue massage, which only aggravated and inflamed the nerve.

The episode cost me 2 weeks of work, and about 3 weeks of PT to get me back on track.

PT was the magic. I recommend a good PT for this one. They'll do some slow exercise, and maybe some muscle-release type stuff with a TENS stimulator, and deep ultrasound heat, and a fair amount of ice.

You can see a PT in FL for up to 3 weeks w/o Rx, so I recommend finding a good one and walking in asap.
 04/16/2021 06:39 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I quit carrying my wallet in my back pocket many years ago for that reason.
 04/19/2021 07:06 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: garcia

I quit carrying my wallet in my back pocket many years ago for that reason.

Me too. Same for sitting in the office chair "half-Indian-style" with one foot tucked under the other butt cheek.

Just an additional comment on my recommendation to check in with a PT:

You might want to see if a PT can give an initial diagnosis before you actually get in to see an orthopedic doc or neurosurgeon, but, depends on how bad things are...

As I think back through family experience and previous threads here, I wouldn't let anyone do any kind of manipulation or adjustment until a proper diagnosis is made via CT and/or MRI.

Again, that depends on how bad things are. I got lucky that a sports-medicine doc hit the nail on the head with my piriformis issue, and the PT he ordered took care of it.

My wife's primary care doc had referred her to a chiro, and by the time she got to a neurosurgeon (which took forever), the neuro told her she definitely should not have let the chiro do a neck adjustment.

Your spine is too important to be left to "cost-effective guesswork."

You might find this article worth reading:
Deep Gluteal Syndrome
It mentions the difficulty sometimes of distinguishing lumbar issues from truly gluteal issues.

Best of luck to ya.
 04/19/2021 12:03 PM

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

My Sciatica began about 15 years ago. I visit my chiropractor on an as needed basis and I'm scared to think when he is going to retire because he is my lifeline when I am in pain.

Perdue Lawrence R DC off of Port Malabar in palmbay. I think he has been a chiro for about 3 decades or more.

Heck some of you may know him, Satellite Highschool graduate from the late 70s.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .