Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Living on a sailboat in Brevard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/28/2020 08:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/28/2020 08:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Anyone ever done it or know of anyone that has? Couldn't find much info. Have money for rent but no verifiable income til March so can't get into an apartment. But I have a 30ft sailboat that I can use..any advice/stories appreciated.
 12/28/2020 09:17 AM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

There was a dude on the forum that used to do it... I think.

Was his username Havanabama?

maybe look up his old posts

-------------------------
 12/28/2020 10:49 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

If you're paying for the slip and there's no signs, go for it. My old surfing bud lived on his for a couple years.
 12/28/2020 11:51 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I know two that liveaboard. One power, one sail. Harbortown in Canaveral and not sure about the other one. It can be done. Once upon a time, in a galaxy long ago, there was the FIT marina in Crane Creek, and...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 12/29/2020 04:59 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Legendary and under-rated shaper...Jeff Thomas did it for years, Surf the Lizard! At Squidlips there is a group that hangs at the bar that are from the surrounding boats...maybe pick their brain? It can be done but you have to figure out logistics like where are you going to park your car? Dingy lockup, etc...At least it's winter...summer is brutal on a live-aboard.
 01/04/2021 05:24 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

The boat people at Squidlips are there because of the public dock leading to a Public Library which has Air Conditioning and a bathroom.
And as you say there is a bar right next door.
But stop and think about it for a minute...
Your living room, is a public library and your bathroom is a public toilet...
And they are only open 9 -5 six days a week...

01/04/2021 05:34 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

You need to make sure you do not discharge into the lagoon. There are big time fines if you do. Besides the potential financial aspect, there is the moral aspect. There are a lot of scumbags who just dump their crap right into it.
 01/04/2021 09:30 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

LMAO ahh the classic live aboard sail boating community.. I work in the marine industry and they are ugly folk. Most that reside in the river are assholes with nothing but a hunk of crap boat (very cheap living).. As stated above dumping waste into the river with no regard. The scum of the earth honestly.. not people you would want to have a convo with. Unless your talking about the Catalina Wine Mixer type Sail boaters, they live in mansions only to visit the boat for hobby time.. no resorting to public library restrooms for them. Still shmucks though just high class and demanding, another group you wouldn't want to speak with.

Edited: 01/04/2021 at 01:54 PM by waterlizard25
 01/07/2021 10:46 AM

Oceanaddict

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Over 25 years in the marina industry. Waterlizard is spot on when it comes to anyone who anchors out in the river here and is a liveaboard. With a very super slim 1%, almost every single one out there is trash. The Marine Patrol, BCSD, Melbourne PD, IHBPD are more than happy to talk to you about doing it if you choose to. I recommend talking to them. If you do decide, please follow the rules. Hope you have your concealed carry permit and a firearm too.

It's not where you've gone that's important....
The value is derived from the Journey.

01/07/2021 06:09 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

da hell is wrong with those people?
 01/08/2021 09:09 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I know a few folks who are either full timing it or part timing it on their boats in Harbor Town. They all have another place besides their boat, and the boats they have are pretty nice. They certainly are not bums.

The folks living out of a trashed 22foot sailboat are basically bums. After on of the storms a neighbor's boat was washed off the boat lift and ended up grounded near the East side of 520 on the ICW. When the neighbor got word of where his boat was he went there and found some of the boat people in that area stripping his Nav gear and other items off his boat. He said he wished he had a shotgun with him, but in hindsight was glad he didn't. Said it was like a scene in Star Wars with the scrappers.
The authorities said that is really common after storms where even if the boat isn't grounded they will go aboard moored and even boats on lifts since they know people have mostly evacuated.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 01/10/2021 11:56 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

sounds like real life duck dynasty down there.
 01/14/2021 07:51 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Originally posted by: waterlizard25

LMAO ahh the classic live aboard sail boating community.. I work in the marine industry and they are ugly folk. Most that reside in the river are assholes with nothing but a hunk of crap boat (very cheap living).. As stated above dumping waste into the river with no regard. The scum of the earth honestly.. not people you would want to have a convo with. Unless your talking about the Catalina Wine Mixer type Sail boaters, they live in mansions only to visit the boat for hobby time.. no resorting to public library restrooms for them. Still shmucks though just high class and demanding, another group you wouldn't want to speak with.

Sounds like the very people who wave trump flags.

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 04/12/2021 07:23 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Originally posted by: wtf
Originally posted by: waterlizard25 LMAO ahh the classic live aboard sail boating community.. I work in the marine industry and they are ugly folk. Most that reside in the river are assholes with nothing but a hunk of crap boat (very cheap living).. As stated above dumping waste into the river with no regard. The scum of the earth honestly.. not people you would want to have a convo with. Unless your talking about the Catalina Wine Mixer type Sail boaters, they live in mansions only to visit the boat for hobby time.. no resorting to public library restrooms for them. Still shmucks though just high class and demanding, another group you wouldn't want to speak with.
Sounds like the very people who wave trump flags.
Feeble attempt
 04/16/2021 09:57 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

depressing thread

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .