Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AT&T's scary email tells customers they need new phones now
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/23/2020 05:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/23/2020 05:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

AT&T's scary email tells customers they need new phones now

A confusing email from AT&T doesn't mention that this won't be necessary until February 2022.

Ann Smajstrla

In a recent email, AT&T told some of its customers their phones soon won't be supported by new network technology. The email urges customers to buy a new phone to ensure they'll still be able to make voice calls. However, as Android Police first reported, the email conveniently leaves out that the technology change in question isn't happening until February 2022.

"We will soon be upgrading our network to the latest technologies," the email reads. "But your device ... is not compatible with the new network and you need to replace it to continue service." It also contains information for buying a new phone.

An email from AT&T saying customers need to update their phone.AT&T
The email does link to an AT&T support article that mentions the company plans to scrap its 3G network in February 2022. "Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don't support HD Voice will no longer work on our network," the page says. However, the urgent tone of the email doesn't make it clear to customers that they have well over a year to purchase a new phone.

The email has prompted discussion in the AT&T community forum, as users deliberated over whether it was a scam. One poster expressed skepticism, since their Samsung Galaxy S10e was released last year. A commenter replied that the email is a "scam for sure." However, as Android Police pointed out, AT&T specifically has to whitelist phones that can use its 4G network for voice calling -- so an unlocked, relatively new phone like the Galaxy S10e still could run into trouble. Again, though, it wouldn't be for over a year.

We reached out to AT&T for comment, and they responded with this statement: "This email was one of many planned to keep customers informed about the shutdown of our 3G network in early 2022. It should have included the date that certain devices would no longer be supported. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and will be more clear in future updates."

Considering the economy is in a difficult spot, we're hoping AT&T's future emails don't try and pressure customers into buying a new phone.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 07/23/2020 06:11 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

We bought phones that had know battery issues (by the company, not the public) and when they went bad, they did nothing about it.

Cell phone companies are the modern day used car salesman...with a vengeance.

-------------------------
I was right.
 07/23/2020 09:05 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

That's why I buy my phones directly from China. They are coming from the same place, do the same things with the same latest tech for half the price. Have yet to have an issue. Also, I bought a rugged phone. The thing goes under water, takes a beating, and if you are maladjusted you can driver your car over it and it will still work like new. I don't even need one of those front screen covers. Never gets a scratch on it.
 07/23/2020 09:14 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: Cole

We bought phones that had know battery issues (by the company, not the public) and when they went bad, they did nothing about it.

Cell phone companies are the modern day used car salesman...with a vengeance.

Did you see Apple has a refund available now for anyone who had their battery "die" a few years ago when they were forced to upgrade? All you need to do is provide paperwork of the serial number of the phone (who the F keeps that?) and email it in for the whopping $25 check, which is probably only redeemable at the Apple store lol

07/23/2020 09:34 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Flip phone. Mine has worked for years.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .