Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: China's amount of new cases
Topic Summary: Seriously why so low
Created On: 04/10/2020 11:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/10/2020 11:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

OK, I posted this here and not in NSR as hope for honest answers, opinions, thoughts & ideas rather than left/right stance..... But now seriously I've been watching their numbers last few days and really low not growing at all exponentially. Why is this? They only fully locked Whuan and to my understanding big places like Shanghai & Bejing didn't really ever take a hit. So they stopped it within while spread everywhere else. Why is this and what can we learn from it??? Of course easy to write off as government reporting fake numbers, but apparently satalite imagery showing traffic flowing their bigger cities open biz like usual. So what's your thoughts??? Are they just so strict on trace & isolate?? I know over the rest of the world got blindsided in Jan-Feb so it spread like crazy, but now we know and we're still just stopping it from doubleing as quick. What's the next step... I heard talk of immunity passports, but seriously can we really talk about that prior to a vaccine or something similar to build immunity. What did China do and what is our way real solution. . . . Whatever you do don't Google the graphics of second waves from 1918 Spanish Flu

-------------------------

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

04/11/2020 05:58 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

Here's one article on S. Korea which seems like it has the model response. The article claims they were perfectly configured to deal with something like this because of their history.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/11/south-korea-beating-coronavirus-citizens-state-testing
 04/11/2020 06:14 AM

TeeBirdForever

I can confirm the gist of this article through an engineering professor friend in Taiwan. They took it very seriously and are now trying to help other countries. Taiwan has a pretty contentious relationship with the WHO as well. Of course, Taiwan's relationship with the PRC is even beyond contentious.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/09/taiwan-is-exporting-its-coronavirus-successes-to-the-world/
 04/11/2020 06:47 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

But, then again, what has been said before: China has a very toxic relationship with "information".

Dora Hates You
 04/11/2020 06:52 AM

TeeBirdForever

It's hard to say what's going on there.

Here's an article on the Euro countries that are doing better. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/health/european-countries-reopening-coronavirus-intl/index.html
 04/11/2020 09:53 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I agree with Ding, I think it's best to skip over China and look to the rest of the world like Teebird is doing. It's a shame that China isn't more forthcoming, because we are in the same situation they were a month and a half ago and it would be nice to see if truly locking the place down worked.

And yes, the 1918 pandemic came back in the fall to do it's real damage.

I was right.
 04/11/2020 09:40 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Thanks all for the info & input... Happy Easter

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

04/12/2020 06:55 AM

dingpatch

Dora Hates You
 04/13/2020 02:26 PM

dingpatch

China is reportedly giving 'extra scrutiny' to any research on the coronavirus' origins
The Week
Brendan Morrow
,The Week.April 13, 20201,064 Comments

China is reportedly requiring academic research into the origin of the novel coronavirus to receive additional scrutiny and approval by the government.

Academic papers on COVID-19 under a new policy from China "will be subject to extra vetting before being submitted for publication," and research on the virus' origins will "receive extra scrutiny and must be approved by central government officials," CNN reports.

A directive from the Ministry of Education specifies that "academic papers about tracing the origin of the virus must be strictly and tightly managed." Papers must reportedly undergo vetting from a State Council task force after being sent to the Education Ministry.

The novel coronavirus first emerged in Wuhan, and since then, CNN notes that some research into questions like when there was first human-to-human transmission of the virus have called the Chinese government's account into question. A Chinese diplomat recently pushed a conspiracy theory that the virus originated in the United States, and the U.S. intelligence community has reportedly concluded that China has underreported its number of coronavirus cases.

One Chinese researcher who spoke to CNN characterized these restrictions as part of "a coordinated effort from [the] Chinese government to control [the] narrative, and paint it as if the outbreak did not originate in China," adding, "I don't think they will really tolerate any objective study to investigate the origination of this disease."

Dora Hates You
 04/16/2020 08:50 AM

TeeBirdForever

Here's a good analysis of how we (won't easily) get out of this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-summer-coronavirus-reopening-back-normal/609940/
 04/16/2020 10:14 AM

TeeBirdForever

Here we go. This has some specifics.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/12/999117/blueprint-what-it-will-take-to-live-in-a-world-with-covid-19
 04/16/2020 10:20 AM

dingpatch

Dora Hates You
 04/16/2020 10:22 AM

TeeBirdForever

Yeah, I guess I'll start my own thread after this.
 04/17/2020 04:50 AM

dingpatch

On ABC's GMA this morning there was a comments in regard to "China" admitting that their deaths were "50% higher" than reported.

Dora Hates You
 04/17/2020 05:19 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Our cases seem to be flattening off, but so is the testing if this tracking graph is correct.

http://www.politico.com/intera...t-of-new-cases/

Are we sliding into the, "What you can't see can't hurt you." phase?

I was right.

Edited: 04/17/2020 at 05:19 AM by Cole
 04/17/2020 05:29 AM

dingpatch

Cole,

Yes, "Out of sight, out of mind, , , ,". There are many people, both "in power" and "not in power" who just want all of this to simply "Go Away", ASAP.

Oh, and, , , , , Guess what? Without a valid treatment and/or vaccine solution, any rapid ending to the current lock downs will be a blatant Racist act, , , , due to the current problem with the black population having a much higher death rate that that of "whites". Yep, anyway you look at it, there will have to be "special" arrangements made. And, "everybody" will come up with their own "special circumstances".

And, there will be lots, and lots, of "End the Lock Down Now" supporters who will then come forward when they realize that their autistic, DOWN's syndrome, diabetic child will need "special" protections that the Government MUST provide!!??!!

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/17/2020 at 05:39 AM by dingpatch
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .