Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Coronavirus: when, not if.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/25/2020 12:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/27/2020 11:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Pretty much yes, masks for the supposed "infected". Otherwise, I'm hearing and reading a lot about the need to "Wash Hands" because "touch" seems to be the major spreader.

My white count is "Critically Low" and, as such, I'm ready to go into "Lock Down" mode when needed. My pantry is good-to-go for a 3 or 4 month period. The VA has me on their list and has told me that if I get a fever (100) and/or otherwise feel the need, I'm to give them a notice call and go straight to an Emergency Department. I am not to take any OTC meds that would "mask" a fever.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/27/2020 11:49 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

Good plan.
 02/27/2020 12:36 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

i would say wearing masks are good for people with it and people that dont want to get it. think the bigger deal with it is complacency and false sense of security with them on in the healthy
 02/27/2020 04:09 PM

dingpatch

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html

Dora Hates You
 02/27/2020 05:08 PM

KeyserSoze

Joined Forum: 03/30/2011

Brevard schools preparing coronavirus plan in case of possible outbreak

Who is Keyser Soze?

02/27/2020 06:30 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Get ready for the rectal swab:
Fecal transmission may be behind coronavirus' rapid spread

Snippets from the article:

The novel coronavirus is shed in the feces of infected people, which may help explain why it's spread so fast, according to Chinese researchers. The finding of live virus particles in stool specimens indicates a fecal-oral route for coronavirus, which may be why it's caused outbreaks on cruise ships with an intensity often seen with gastro-causing norovirus, which also spreads along that pathway.

Rectal swabs can detect the pneumonia-causing virus in patients even when conventional oral tests are negative, doctors at the Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital in central China said in a study.

The coronaviruses that cause Covid-19 and SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, bind to the same distinctly shaped protein receptors in the body that are expressed in the lungs and intestines, making these organs the primary targets for both viruses,

And the part I wish I hadn't read:

A virus-laden aerosol plume emanating from a SARS patient with diarrhea was implicated in possibly hundreds of cases at Hong Kong's Amoy Gardens housing complex in 2003.

That led the city's researchers to understand the importance of the virus's spread through the gastrointestinal tract, and to recognize both the limitation of face masks and importance of cleanliness and hygiene, according to John Nicholls, a clinical professor of pathology at the University of Hong Kong.

Squat latrines, common in China, lacking covers and hands that aren't washed thoroughly with soap and water after visiting the bathroom, could be a source of virus transmission, said Nicholls, who was part of the research team that isolated and characterized the SARS virus.

Can't say I'm looking forward to sitting on an airplane toilet or eating airplane food while traveling over spring break!
 02/27/2020 06:35 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Wash your damn hands people. Sing happy birthday, that's how long you should be washing with soap and the hottest water you can stand.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/27/2020 06:49 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

If you don't want to be seen as weird singing happy birthday in a public restroom, try Old MacDonald had a Farm. When you get to the "had some" whatever kind of farm animal, make the animal noises pretty clearly. People will generally move away. Lessens chance of infection.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/27/2020 09:22 PM

RegularJoe

I read that with the alcohol-based sanitizers like Purell, it can take 2-4 minutes of vigorous washing to kill most viruses on your hands. Viruses that exist in a petri dish by themselves are somewhat defenseless, but those wrapped in a moist mucus like sneeze spray, a wet cough, or a "virus-laden aerosol plume" expelled from your ass take much longer to kill.
 02/28/2020 04:58 AM

dingpatch

Hmmmm, , , , , We will see what happens in California for now as an example of what may come to Florida.

I'm not to concerned, for the time, about the Theme Parks being closed for a couple months and I don't have any kids to worry about when/if the schools also close. But, the hammer will really come down if businesses like L3Harris have to partially close down, , ,. "Recession" is a nasty word to use but, it may be coming, Big Time.

And, , , , , just to make things worse, , , , dogs have contracted it in Hong Kong!!

Dora Hates You

Edited: 02/28/2020 at 05:26 AM by dingpatch
 02/28/2020 05:13 AM

dingpatch

The No. 1 way to prevent coronavirus isn't wearing a face mask
Christina Capatides
CBS NewsFebruary 27, 2020, 8:37 PM EST

As fears over the is the best way to prevent the spread of infectious illnesses like coronavirus. That's because one of the most common ways infections spread is when people touch a contaminated surface and then touch their mouth or nose.

Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook points out that it's especially important to make sure that you scrub the soap into your fingertips because they are simultaneously the part of the hand most often neglected and the part of the hand most likely to touch your face and spread disease.

Soap and water is far more effective than hand sanitizer. If you're using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, you should make sure that it contains at least 60% alcohol.

Beyond that, the CDC advises that, whenever possible, you should also avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, avoid contact with sick people, cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze, and disinfect objects and surfaces frequently.

Dora Hates You
 02/28/2020 09:00 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

In addition to the health hazard, pretty soon we should start seeing a shortage of a lot of electronic components, hardware, phones etc.

Japan has all of its schools closed until April. I guess their parents are either just leaving their kids at home or they are all working from home.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 02/28/2020 10:09 AM

dingpatch

And, , , , , CVS is saying that there could be a hand sanitizer shortage, , , ,

Dora Hates You
 02/28/2020 10:32 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Sniper In addition to the health hazard, pretty soon we should start seeing a shortage of a lot of electronic components, hardware, phones etc. .
lol @ chicken little. you say that like its a bad thing. when life gives you corona, put a lyme in it !
 02/29/2020 08:34 AM

dingpatch

Then again, , , , I've read that this may be the new "normal" and that as such, we may end up with "Cold, Flu and COVID-19" seasons from here on!!!!

Dora Hates You
 02/29/2020 08:46 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

Didn't someone say it's a hoax?
 02/29/2020 08:52 AM

dingpatch

Well, , , , it certainly MUST be SOMETHING and otherwise has to have been "contrived".

It is taking so much attention away from Trump, , , , , and, , , , the Dem primary candidates!!!!

Dora Hates You
 02/29/2020 10:37 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Needs a sexier name. For example, corona virus 229e is known as "The Cold". Now that's chilling.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/29/2020 10:42 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The "hoax" stuff belongs in the Other Forum.
    The lack of testing in the US is due to fussy FDA requirements combined, it seems, with CDC having problems with assembling and distributing test kits. That's being addressed, but valuable time has been lost. Chinese statistics on the epidemic are probably pretty good. Our appearance of having only a few cases may be a matter of lack of testing, though if it were widespread in the US, more people with obvious symptoms would be showing up. Best guess seems to be that we don't have too many cases. The new case in Washington State has died.
    The NY Times reports that caregivers for the elderly in Japan are doing everything they can to keep the virus away. Twenty nine percent of the Japanese population is over 65. The virus is a huge risk for the country.
 02/29/2020 02:58 PM

RegularJoe

Originally posted by: tom

Needs a sexier name.

Kung Flu? And all the doctors are Kung Flu Fighting?
FORUMS : NPNR : Coronavirus: when, not if.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .