Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Travel--Clothes in Board bag status check??
Topic Summary: What airlines have been sticklers??
Created On: 01/18/2022 05:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/18/2022 05:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

I am head to CR on SW then back on Spirit. (I swore Spirit off but were in a rock and hard place for return flight )

I want to take a board and use clothes to buffer inside of the surfboard hardcase.
It has been awhile since I brought a board with me but I seemed to recall murmurs about airlines becoming more stringent about "boards only".

Anybody got any intel??

Thanks

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 01/18/2022 at 06:03 PM by KP
 01/19/2022 06:20 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Spirit made me take my clothes and shoes out of the board bag on the way there. No one cared on the way back.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/20/2022 09:26 PM

KP

Thanks JB
my friend just told me he had the same experience on his last trip to PR

01/21/2022 11:09 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Ironic that Spirit is the one airline with no soul or spirit when it comes to surfing.

Various websites discuss their policy and interpretations, but this one is from their official page: (I added the bold and italics.)

https://customersupport.spirit...egory/article/KA-01154

Get ready to Hang Ten! You can bring your surfboard, snowboards, wakeboards, boogie boards, body boards, and kiteboards) as checked baggage on your next trip.

Snowboards, wakeboards, boogie boards, body boards, and kiteboards are charged as a standard checked bag. Remember that items over 40 pounds (18.1 kg) are considered overweight. Save money by traveling light. Snowboards, wakeboards, boogie boards, body boards and kiteboards over 62 linear inches will be classified as surfing equipment and will have a special charge.

Surfboards are accepted for a special charge. If you are bringing a surfboard, make sure to remove or protect your surfboard keels and/or kedges to prevent damage to it and other checked baggage. To save you more, you can put up to 2 surfboards in a case together for the same price.

Don't worry - overweight and oversize fees do not apply to surfboards due to the special charge. Additional items packed inside a surfboard case are not considered part of the surfing equipment and additional charges apply.

A limited liability release will need to be signed.

Note: Certain destinations have bag restrictions and surfboards are not accepted on these flights. Click here for complete information on bag restrictions.

It might help to carry the above with you in case you get into a logical argument at the counter.

I think a wetsuit, booties, spare fins, and a few towels could reasonably be considered part of the "surfing equipment" and get a pass from a reasonable check-in agent.

If they go full nazi mode on the "non-surfing equipment" (their words), you could ask them, since the overweight and oversize fees do not apply, and your total package remains under their normal-baggage 40-pound weight limit, how much they would charge to let you leave the "offending accessories" in your board bag instead of holding up the line while you move them to a regular bag that they're going to transport for no charge anyway.

Any reasonable agent should let it slide if you're nice and didn't go crazy with the accessories. Always be polite, and phrase things in the form of a question instead of making demands. Don't abuse the policy and you reduce your risk of being abused, even on Spirit.

Edited: 01/21/2022 at 11:10 AM by CurtisEflush
 01/22/2022 08:54 PM

KP

I saw that info also but over looked the "not considered part of the surfing equiplment". But you got a great Curtis point about the surf accessories. I could use my, Towel, rash guards, board shorts, etc to pad board and politely plead my case as the items are surfing essentials ;-)

01/26/2022 06:21 PM

KP

Made it down. Southwest did not even bat an eye or ask me how many boards?!?

02/07/2022 02:26 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

We just got back from El Salvador using AA. Good trip , except my buddy's bag hasn't turned up since Customs check in miami . Tag fell off , search is on . AA only charges $30 each way , didn't matter about weight or board count. only had a carryon , besides boardbag.
Got the Bag and board was in good condition 3 days later.

Edited: 02/18/2022 at 05:08 PM by Kimo63
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .