Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Do your kids surf?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/27/2021 11:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/27/2021 11:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Slow day, which led me to thinking about... I always thought that it would be a no-brainer that my kids would all want to surf. That we'd all be out surfing together all the time having fun. All 3 of mine have tried it. The older two don't want to do it. The youngest likes to do it from time to time, but thats it. Did your kids wind up surfing?
 10/27/2021 11:41 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Oldest son was into it for a while in early teens, then more into skateboarding for a few years, but (thanks in part to a few injuries), his life now revolves around surfing.
Youngest started much earlier, then got spooked for a few years, but then basically followed the older son's path exactly.
Daughter enjoyed it a few times when it was cool and her friends were into it, but that didn't last. She skates every now and then.

I think the deal is to not pressure them, let them see you're always having fun, and keep a good enough relationship with them that they want to join you often.
 10/27/2021 12:16 PM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

Soooo....

My babies were starting to get stoked on surfing at ages 6 and 4, and would sometimes allow me to put them on the front of the longboard so they can belly one in from the outside with me steering on the back... Then, I got bit by a shark on the north side of the cocoa beach pier!

(Caught a wave to the inside and jumped off of my board super stoked on a great ride, then as I pulled my foot off of the ocean floor to jump back onto my board to paddle back out for more, BAM felt like I stepped on a bear trap! He let me go and I went in to shore to then realized that I finished my wave right underneath one of those pier sinks that the fishermen clean\gut their fish out that dump the water right underneath the pier, so buddy was basically chumming the water and I landed right into a mini feeding frenzy!)

This whole ordeal the babies were thankfully NOT at the beach that day to see, but they DID see their dad go THROUGH IT in the house with a leaking foot for the next 3 months.. It scared the shit out of them big time and I get it.. Hoping that memory will just fade away and some day they will allow this GREATNESS of a past time to be in their lives as well! (Maybe once they are grown up hopefully?) lol

-------------------------
SK8 AND DESTROY
 10/27/2021 12:52 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Surfs crowded enough!!!! I'm cool w/ everyone who tries and slowly quits (best shirt...Surfing Sucks, Don't Start". As kids we would have to drive hours to go surfing growing up. Kids who live at the beach and don't understand the 4AM drive other's had/have to do just don't get "IT". Any time Some one asks to try surfing , I give them a board and say, "This may change your life forever, your life will be all about Weather systems and wind direction, you will miss weddings, holidays and skip out on work from here on out....or you will not get "bit" by the surfing bug". Some get the Fever for life chasing the Dragon...some don't which I really support! Hey Plan_B saw your IM from while back, I have no IM ability, need to clean out inbox to send any...I scored but not in PC.
 10/27/2021 01:06 PM

friendlyhorsefarmers

Joined Forum: 09/17/2003

fingers crossed working on it now
 10/27/2021 01:39 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

My best advice for anyone teaching young or old is to get a long board, or soft top long board if possible. Pick a nice calm day, and after showing them how to practice the pop up on shore push them in and try to hold onto the tail while kind of body surfing to help stabalize the board for them and keep them from nose diving. A few bad wipeouts can ruin it especially if water goes up the nose, get bonked by a board etc. I have yet to see anyone get up on a few waves and hate it LOL

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/27/2021 02:39 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

My son is an expert board-rider. Skating early, surfing now (loves big waves!) and snowboards like a Utah local. Had the balance at an early age. He's about to turn 26 and I Love that he loves what I love. Cheers!
 10/27/2021 03:09 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Mine all did. Personal crowd of kooks, at least, until they got licenses and could drive themselves. Now they're all grown and gone and I surf mostly with me. Enjoy them while you can, even if it doesn't really seem all that enjoyable sometimes...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway

Edited: 10/27/2021 at 03:14 PM by tom
 10/28/2021 06:45 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

My son loves it, but it needs to be decent. He doesn't have the burn I had when I was young, but I don't see that as a bad thing. lol

I was right.
 10/28/2021 01:34 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Son never got into it. "If Dad does it I dont wanna".....Took him snowboarding in Utah at 16yo. After college lost him for 12 years to the Rockies. Marriage and babies brought him home with plans on 1-2 powder trips a year.
Daughter never go into it either but loves to fish...So, there's that

Edited: 10/28/2021 at 01:34 PM by RocketSurf
 10/28/2021 01:38 PM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

I'm honestly kinda stoked on all of these responses as I thought I was one of NOT to many surf dads that couldn't get their babies into it like I am.. Thanks for sharing 2ndlight famo

SK8 AND DESTROY
 10/28/2021 03:09 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Mine like it but don't love it, and I don't push it.
Whenever we go out we always have a good time and at this point this is all I can hope for.

I remember when I was a kid my dad would get me up at stupid zero hours to go hunting or fishing. I had fun, but not like he did. I try to keep that in mind and realize they may get into surfing or other activities I enjoy later.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 10/28/2021 07:07 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

My son started early but none of his close friends were really into it even though they all lived in Cocoa Beach. He also got stitches once when the board hit him so that didn't help. So he just surfed ever once in a while, he was more into fishing and playing music. But when he started life guarding at the beach one of the kids he worked with was a full on surf hound so he started surfing a lot more and now surfs every chance he gets. I count my blessings that I'm able to surf with my son from time to time, nothing better. If he gets a good ride I'm as stoked as if I'd got it myself. I tried to get my daughter to surf but she was tentative so I backed off, hopefully one day she'll try, but as previously mentioned you just kind of put it out there and it's up to them as to whether or not they embrace it.

Edited: 10/28/2021 at 07:08 PM by grdsurf
 10/28/2021 10:01 PM

Cole

If he gets a good ride I'm as stoked as if I'd got it myself.

Me too and my wave count drops when we surf together.

"Nah, I'm good, you go on this one."

I was right.
 11/04/2021 09:23 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I wished my son did, that way I coulda taken away something other TV when he fugged up.
 11/04/2021 08:38 PM

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

My 3 sons all surf and it's the best thing ever...

The secret was soft tops and Jetty Park, that is the best place to teach little ones...I see guys push their 5 year olds into chest high close outs at more exposed beaches and the kids are ruined for life, so sad...

Brevard Surf Report
 11/05/2021 03:50 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

Mine are take it or leave it. They are soccer heads. I guess its kinda hard to be a surfer in South Florida, its always flat. I thought I had them hooked when we caught Pan Dulce and they both were getting 300 yd rides but they were not asking for more.I guess they got the Tico side of the family and love soccer/futbol.
 11/05/2021 06:00 AM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

My kids are younger but my oldest daughter has expressed interest. I let them dictate it, and will never force them into it. I do teach them certain things about the beach and the ocean (wind, tides, conditions).

The above post is correct though, even a thigh high day is considered to be "big" waves by my kids
 11/05/2021 08:13 AM

pumphouse

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

oldest-If Dad does this, no thanks (just like you Rocketsurf)
Daughter did for a while but wasn't that into it, she also would get frustrated with me at times, ive made mistakes
13 year old boy loves it, but not a fan of big waves, also really doesn't like seeing any attitude from folks out there, he takes that stuff to heart, he is a kind soul, he actually is afraid this may happen to him some day, get yelled at, he is just that type of kid. I tell him to pay not attention to those folks, we are out here to get away from that nonsense. He did a lot of 8 foot softtop in our pool, cross stepping from the Joel Tudor videos he was subjected to. He is a true longboarder, but he just doesn't know it yet as his crew of groms are all shortboarders.
GREAT TOPIC!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
 11/05/2021 01:38 PM

Greensleeves

Now and then.
FORUMS : Surfing : Do your kids surf?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .