Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Went to get ice cream and found an old Doug Haut board on their wall
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/18/2021 04:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2021 04:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Went with the fam it get some ice cream at a new place on Merritt Island - My Island Ice Cream - and was greeted by this after walking in the door. A cool old Haut surfboard that I reckon is from the 70's. Doug Haut is a popular shaper in Santa Cruz, a damn good surfer, and regular at Steamer's Lane. He is the uncle of a friend of mine and in high school we'd hang in his shop as it was always a good time.

So, it was a real trip to walk in and see a board brand you hardly ever see on the East Coast, and a cool vintage board at that which brought back a lot of memories.

To even things out they also had a nice older Nielson thruster, and an older Stix by Dix, and a guitar on the wall.

Oh yeah, and the ice cream was great too! The couple who run the place are very cool.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 09/18/2021 at 04:32 PM by Bamboo
 09/18/2021 04:34 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Funny, I saw that board on the wall when I took my granddaughters the other day. Had no idea who he was. I was looking for more local boards and thought, "Oh, well, another underground shaper." Glad to know that it wasn't so. (Although, having an Oceanside or Happiness or Loehr or MTB or ... would be more appropriate).
 09/18/2021 07:32 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Good to see the respect given to the board....Nice mount.
 09/18/2021 07:33 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Yeah, those Doug Hauts are a fixture around Santa Cruz. My coworker in San Jose would loan me one from his quiver and chauffeur me over the hill for a Saturday morning dawn patrol whenever I was out there for work. RIP, my former friend and NorCal surf guide. I'll have to grab an ice cream up there in MI and bless the board in his honor.

Barely related, I picked up a used board from another local shaper (not a Haut) at one of the shops in Santa Cruz. It was the first epoxy board I saw in California (~1997). I brought it back and took it into Loehr's shop for some work, and Greg recognized the shaper immediately; it was one of his resin customers.
 09/19/2021 03:41 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Doug Haut had a couple early Surftech models too, the Randy French - Santa Cruz connection. I had one, sold it, wished I'd kept it. Those guys knew epoxy.

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/20/2021 12:28 PM

whip618

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

I think Doug Haut lived in Melbourne Beach and worked for Jim Campbell surifboards back in the 60"s for short while, anyone else know.

Phil
 09/20/2021 01:50 PM

AndyH

Joined Forum: 11/12/2007

Yeah Doug Haut has some Florida history. He built Campbell Surfboards at Melbourne Airport along with Bob and Jack Reeves. Pretty much the first production surfboards built in Brevard County. Pretty cool!
 09/21/2021 07:39 AM

surfersensei

Joined Forum: 12/02/2003

https://floridasurfmuseum.org/centralflorida/60s-space-coast-surfing-bob-reeves-photo-album

Read about Campbell surfboards here
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .