Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Repair question - Swallow tail board
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2021 01:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/31/2021 01:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AngelicTorment2000

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Probably not the place to put this question. But I'm going to anyhow since we do not have a section for this it seems.
I acquired this board a long time ago for cheap because the previous owner did not want to repair it. And I've just not taken the time to work on it myself, I've done the other repairs it needed. (a couple of rail dings)
But this part I'm not sure how to tackle, looks like a leash tear in the middle of the tail and then the two points of the swallow tail need to be repaired as well.
How would you go about doing this yourself?

-------------------------
Tormie

"The only devils in this world are those running around in our own hearts, and that is where all our battles should be fought. -Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)"

Arrive Alive.... So You Can Surf Another Day!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Edited: 05/31/2021 at 01:56 PM by AngelicTorment2000
 05/31/2021 01:57 PM

AngelicTorment2000

Link to Photo

Tormie

"The only devils in this world are those running around in our own hearts, and that is where all our battles should be fought. -Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)"

[IMG][/IMG]

Edited: 05/31/2021 at 02:00 PM by AngelicTorment2000
 05/31/2021 03:40 PM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

1. Is the leash plug itself cracked?
 05/31/2021 03:50 PM

AngelicTorment2000

I didn't see any cracks in the leash plug. It's definitely solid feeling as well.

Tormie

[IMG][/IMG]
 05/31/2021 06:47 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

How would I do it, or how should it be done? Get some blue painter's tape and 2 part liquid epoxy. Get creative with the tape to make a form around repair to pour resin in to. Mix resin, pour, wait to cure. Remove tape and disk off the extra resin. Hand sand smooth and rattle can to cover. This is not how it should be done. But it'll work. Ask me how to fix a car next...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/31/2021 07:13 PM

Joined Forum: 05/05/2021

Just slop a bunch of the moldable ding repair putty in there.. the kind that comes in a tube and you have to knead together before applying

then wet your fingers and shape/smooth it all out.

Let it dry and then sand it to final shape.

Try to do most of the "shaping" with your wet finger to save sanding time later.

that occured from the string digging into the tail- which is why leashes have "rail savers"- when you put on your next leash, make sure the loop is small enough so that only the railsaver on the leash touches the board/tail

On its last day, the site received just 1,500 shares or comments on Facebook and Twitter — a staggering drop for someone whose every tweet once garnered hundreds of thousands of reactions.

Edited: 05/31/2021 at 07:17 PM by 1975
 06/01/2021 07:29 AM

AngelicTorment2000

Thanks for the repair idea. I know it's a leash tear and what caused it. When I got this board it already had the leash tear in it. It didn't even have a leash loop in the plug at the time. I had actually put that loop on there so that I could make sure that the pin was still in good and tight in the plug. This will be the first time I've worked on repairing this kind of board issue.

I did order a Ding-All repair kit, the large one they offer to repair this board with. So I'm hoping with some Q-Cell filler and time and patience I can get a good repair done. I thought about going the ding repair putty, but wasn't sure how good it was or if it'd repair it well enough to keep it water tight. Can that stuff be glassed over as well, or would it need to be removed and repaired again with filler?

Originally posted by: 1975

Just slop a bunch of the moldable ding repair putty in there.. the kind that comes in a tube and you have to knead together before applying

then wet your fingers and shape/smooth it all out.

Let it dry and then sand it to final shape.

Try to do most of the "shaping" with your wet finger to save sanding time later.

that occured from the string digging into the tail- which is why leashes have "rail savers"- when you put on your next leash, make sure the loop is small enough so that only the railsaver on the leash touches the board/tail

Tormie

[IMG][/IMG]
 06/01/2021 08:20 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Where's the trac pad?
 06/01/2021 08:31 AM

AngelicTorment2000

There is no trac pad, never was as far as I know.

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

Where's the trac pad?

Tormie

[IMG][/IMG]
 06/01/2021 08:15 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Clean all the gunk and old foam, then get rid of the shards around the edges of the dings. 1975 told you the most simple repair, but I would glass it too. You can still use the epoxy putty as a filler and the glass repair will make it as strong as new. Skip to the fourth minute in the video and you can see how they cut the cloth so it wraps smoothly around the tail.

I recall you saying you are trapped in Polk County, so you can go to the link below to order what you need.

http://dingall.com/

I was right.
 06/02/2021 04:21 AM

AngelicTorment2000

Cole, thanks for posting the video, that does explain how to cut the cloth around the tail! Also yea, I'm looking at the putty option as well mentioned by 1975!

As for the county, you're just 1 county north, I'm in Highlands county now.

Thank you everyone!

Originally posted by: Cole

Clean all the gunk and old foam, then get rid of the shards around the edges of the dings. 1975 told you the most simple repair, but I would glass it too. You can still use the epoxy putty as a filler and the glass repair will make it as strong as new. Skip to the fourth minute in the video and you can see how they cut the cloth so it wraps smoothly around the tail.

I recall you saying you are trapped in Polk County, so you can go to the link below to order what you need.

http://dingall.com/

Tormie

[IMG][/IMG]
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .