Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shoulder replacement
Topic Summary: Back to Surfing
Created On: 03/19/2021 07:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2021 07:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

gbigsurf1

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I had a complete shoulder replacement in Early January, Any of you rippers had a shoulder replacement, if so how long was it before you were back surfing? Mahalo

-------------------------
Surf Hard Live Long. Peace Out
 03/19/2021 07:28 PM

johnnyboy

I opted not to get the surgery. The PT and surfing less has helped. I think I will eventually I will have no choice. How's your rehab PT?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/19/2021 07:41 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

A mere rotator cuff repair with removal of a bone spur that had done most of the damage (a fall cause the cuff to rupture). Recovery took months, and it took longer for the final bits of improvement. Good physical therapy was all-important. You might possibly try some arm-light, leg-heavy water exercise while the arm isn't quite ready, like using a Hawaiian Paipo. Pretend to swim like a water photographer, with one arm out of use? My "other" arm suffered a strain (examined by the orthopaedist, no harm, just some soreness) back in November. It's still not entirely right. Of course I'm ancient.
 03/20/2021 05:55 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Here are a few links to past threads....
2ndlight shoulder link 1

2nd light shoulder link 2
 03/20/2021 08:25 AM

gbigsurf1

PT is going good, I had no choice but to get the complete replacement, PT is going good, gonna keep going as long as the insurance will keep paying

03/22/2021 06:43 AM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

Speedy Recovery Johny!!!

SK8 AND DESTROY
 03/22/2021 08:07 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: gbigsurf1

PT is going good, I had no choice but to get the complete replacement, PT is going good, gonna keep going as long as the insurance will keep paying

If insurance runs out and you really need more PT, ask them if they can offer you a discounted self-pay rate. Some will, some won't. The one that did saved my ass.

Average recovery for old farts, before feeling comfortable in good surf, seems to be 4-6 months for basic repairs. Not sure about replacement. Pool time is a huge help.

Best of luck to ya!
 03/22/2021 12:27 PM

gbigsurf1

Originally posted by: CurtisEflush

Originally posted by: gbigsurf1

PT is going good, I had no choice but to get the complete replacement, PT is going good, gonna keep going as long as the insurance will keep paying [IMG][/IMG]

If insurance runs out and you really need more PT, ask them if they can offer you a discounted self-pay rate. Some will, some won't. The one that did saved my ass.

Average recovery for old farts, before feeling comfortable in good surf, seems to be 4-6 months for basic repairs. Not sure about replacement. Pool time is a huge help.

Best of luck to ya!

Thanks, I have a gut feeling it will be early fall at the soonest when i can get back to try and surf, Been in my pool as much as i can so far, thank goodness the weather is getting warmer

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .