Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2020 04:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2021 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: DaveFL76

Wow, how's this for interesting. In 1999 there was a 1-to-35 scale replica of First Peak constructed to study how the new jetty work would affect wave refraction. They predicted no major changes. Oops!

https://www.researchgate.net/f...eft-and_fig7_228500304

Interesting timing. There looks to be a contest in the overlay image with a crowd of about ten.

-------------------------
I was right.
 01/01/2021 05:32 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: DaveFL76

I think we'd all like to see the peak back in action, but I think you might be underestimating the size and scope of the project, and the bureaucracy.

Here's the annual report of the inlet from 2019. Any proposed changes would probably take hundreds of thousands of dollars and years, just in the studies. But, since you've got so much energy for the idea, you should try getting in contact with any of these report writers. They could probably point you in the right direction. They're all at FIT.

STATE OF THE INLET REPORT 2019: An Assessment of Inlet Morphologic Processes,

Shoreline Changes, Sediment Budget, and Beach Fill Performance

Thanks, will do. Great resource
 01/01/2021 05:38 PM

TunnelVision

Here's the comparison. First image is from 1998. I've added a red outline of the current jetty crib structure for reference. The image then transitions to a Google Earth image which I believe is from January 2019. As you'll see, the additional platform that was added to the end was over the existing rock pile I had previously mentioned.

[IMG][/IMG]

Wow, didn't realize extension was that much of it. easy to see how it messed up things. Waves rebound way too early. Wonder how much it would cost to blast all that? Like to smitherenes so nothing to clean up except pull some rebar out afterwards.

Edited: 01/01/2021 at 05:45 PM by TunnelVision
 01/02/2021 08:08 PM

gatorsurf92

Joined Forum: 01/31/2017

Love the enthusiasm TV, but there will never be a WCT event at SI and that's for the best for a litany of reasons

"Grip it and rip it"
 01/04/2021 11:59 AM

TunnelVision

Talked to James at sitd. nice guy.
Kinda didn't think this would be likely ...
Studies needed.
Issues with sand changes, and sand in the river ...
idk, I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it happen
he didn't stop me from pushing forward, but didn't
think a study would likely get approved.
project halted for me.

Edited: 01/04/2021 at 12:00 PM by TunnelVision
 01/04/2021 04:45 PM

K07

Joined Forum: 09/02/2012

It's all the sand re-nourishment projects not the jetty project that ruined 1st Peak. There was a study done about the bathy changes around Sebastian Inlet during the same time 1st Peak died. Sand left the 1st Peak zone and re-located to Monster Hole. Now Monster Hole pulls all of any strong swell away from 1st Peak. The new jetty wedged/broke fine for a couple years. It's not a wedge timing or wedge creation issue; it's a no swell or sandbar for it to focus on issue. Massive/catastrophic issue. If they don't do any beach re-nourishment for a long time it could come back though.
 01/05/2021 07:16 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Hello!!!!

No, Monster Hole Does Not "pull" any swell from anywhere.

Dora Hates You
 01/05/2021 07:38 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: Cole I was wrong, they are considered a Critically Endangered species. The tip of that jetty isn't going anywhere. I'd look into plan B.
I had nothing to do with this
 01/06/2021 09:47 AM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

Here's the comparison. First image is from 1998. I've added a red outline of the current jetty crib structure for reference. The image then transitions to a Google Earth image which I believe is from January 2019. As you'll see, the additional platform that was added to the end was over the existing rock pile I had previously mentioned.

[IMG][/IMG]

Wow, didn't realize extension was that much of it. easy to see how it messed up things. Waves rebound way too early. Wonder how much it would cost to blast all that? Like to smitherenes so nothing to clean up except pull some rebar out afterwards.

To be clear, the point of sharing that imagery/analysis was to show that the new platform was built over top of a rock pile that had already been in the water for 30 years. It demonstrates that the addition of this structure on top of that rock pile did not materially impacted swell coming into the First Peak zone. I guess that's water under the bridge at this point though as I see you've already discussed the idea with Dr. Gray.
 01/06/2021 10:48 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

I thought the main issue was the "Cap" stopped sand transport by stopping the amount of water/sand that gets pushed through the structure and continues south? There used to be a "boom", "boom", "boom" sound you would hear as a set wave was approaching first peak from the tip of the old jetty (indicator that a wave was about to unload)...that sound is gone and it appears like sand is being trapped in the kiddie pool and out to 1st peak. If this is true you would have to dredge out first peak to the kiddie pool? (that will never happen)...I could be very wrong on all of the above
 01/06/2021 03:00 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Plan B
Originally posted by: Cole I was wrong, they are considered a Critically Endangered species. The tip of that jetty isn't going anywhere. I'd look into plan B.
I had nothing to do with this
5/5. Well played, Sir.
 01/08/2021 02:44 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

It's gone, and never coming back. If you missed it, sorry, cause it was epic.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 01/15/2021 05:13 PM

Cloudsurfer

Joined Forum: 03/09/2010

SPOT ON! I believe it's the new slope. Nothing for the wave to rebound/refract offf!

Edited: 01/15/2021 at 05:16 PM by Cloudsurfer
FORUMS : Surfing : Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .