Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2020 04:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2020 06:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: grdsurf

matt_t hit the nail on the head. There is more to first peak than just the jetty configuration. Over the years , no make that decades sand has accumulated on both the north and south sides which has been detrimental to the surf on both sides. To much sand on the north side generally causes a "overwedge" condition for First Pieak (bad). Further aggravating the situation is the sand at Monster Hole has moved so far out that it causes the swell to refract at to steep of an angle into the jetty on the north side which again results in the dreaded "overwedge effect". In addition to the unfavorable refraction it also sucks swell energy away from the north side, and creates to some extent a "wave void". It's a bummer such a great wave is gone, little did we know when we were kids surfing there how lucky we were. Oh, Monster Hole was way better back then as well, it was "X" mark the spot take off on every set, and had more wave speed since deep water was feeding the shoulders. There was even a really good right off the tip of the south jetty that broke sometimes on a big north swell. I remember a article in Surfing Magazine titled something like "Florida in 250 words or less", I think GP might have penned it. It had some insane pics of the north side and Monster Hole. One of the best pictures was of Dick Catri on a large right at Monster Hole, just perfect, also a really good shot of Buzzy Fouyeh(last name spelling is wrong) on a classic first peak wedge. There was another pulled back shot take from the bridge that shows a insane thick single wedge with an empty lineup. It was really good early on even before they "capped" the jetty. This would have been about 1972 I think, (a little before my time there). There was another pictorial in one of the magazines of "Morning Side Drive" by Allen Margolis(RIP) with great pics of Greg Loehr, Jeff Crawford(switch foot) and Doug Wright(probably mid Seventies). I might be getting a little carried away here...but I remember the first time I surfed it at age 13 or so, my friends dad drove us down from Cocoa Beach and it was so different ....really deep breaking almost on the sand compared to CB. It must have been high tide went we got there...but I'll never forget the first "First Peak" wave I saw after the tide had dropped some (it wouldn't even break at all on high tide it was so deep). Seemingly out of no where this peak jacks up like nothing my crumb snatching eyes had ever seen before and Dennis Bub drops in back side cranks a hard bottom turn and then crushes the lip so fast that I was completely blow away....

thanks for the details! My most vivid memory is from the mid 90s in late fall. It was overhead and only myself and Bill Hartley were out. He was sitting 50ft off the tip of the jetty.. almost in the channel.. He was back-dooring the tube in front of the boulders and then into a couple few mega power snaps. I've never seen it break like that since. And I've never seen anyone surf that wave the way Hartley did that night! Some old schoolers told me it would happen occasionally.. and Hurricane Hugo in '89 broke that way.

Maybe a sharper edge on the jetty would help. Maybe overtime worm rock will fill in and help.
One reason I think the sand is the main culprit.. First peak still broke correctly during the extension and for a time afterwards.
If you go back and look a the mamma G (RIP) pics from early/mid 2000's... it was still a classic wedge.

12/30/2020 07:35 PM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

TunnelVision, stoked on your enthusiasm but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The additional platform that was added to the jetty during the rebuilding of the jetty's crib structure during the 2000 - 2002 project was built on top of an already exposed rock pile which was there since the previous structure was completed around 1970.

The Sebastian Inlet Tax District's website has a great gallery on their site (SITD.us) under the "History" section. You'll see a photo from 1970 showing the rock pile that I'm referencing and then another direct overhead shot from 1998 showing the same configuration just prior to the rebuild project. You can take that shot from 1998 and then lay a more recent shot from Google Earth over top of it with some transparency to see what I mean.
 12/30/2020 08:47 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: dingpatch

We would have thought that this horse was sufficiently beaten in years past.

Sebastian Inlet State Park is controlled by the State of Florida; not so much by the associated counties.

The jetty is there for "Navigation", really nothing more. The walkway portions were enhanced for fishing, etc., but, were not put there for any specific purposes.

In the Big Scheme of Things, surfers and surfing there rank well below such things such as "tick removal".

You underestimate what a group of people can accomplish

12/30/2020 08:48 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Cole

The tip of the north jetty is an established habitat for Goliath Grouper and I'm pretty sure they are still considered a threatened species.

Sounds like you really don't want this. Too much of a fisherman to want this.
 12/30/2020 08:52 PM

TunnelVision

Maybe a sharper edge on the jetty would help. Maybe overtime worm rock will fill in and help.

One reason I think the sand is the main culprit.. First peak still broke correctly during the extension and for a time afterwards.

If you go back and look a the mamma G (RIP) pics from early/mid 2000's... it was still a classic wedge.

Yeah, for a time afterwards ... because the sand takes time to shift (due to new extension) it didn't occur overnight, but once it got messed up, it doesn't return. Return the jetty to prior dimensions, and the sand will be the way it was. But really, it's where the bounce happens, and will never happen with new jetty
 12/30/2020 08:55 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: ClaimingDFL

TunnelVision, stoked on your enthusiasm but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The additional platform that was added to the jetty during the rebuilding of the jetty's crib structure during the 2000 - 2002 project was built on top of an already exposed rock pile which was there since the previous structure was completed around 1970.

The Sebastian Inlet Tax District's website has a great gallery on their site (SITD.us) under the "History" section. You'll see a photo from 1970 showing the rock pile that I'm referencing and then another direct overhead shot from 1998 showing the same configuration just prior to the rebuild project. You can take that shot from 1998 and then lay a more recent shot from Google Earth over top of it with some transparency to see what I mean.

Well, however the specific change happened, it did mess it up. I would have to see aerial photo comparison, but from what I remember, it's much longer now, and even if there were rocks there, there weren't all the extra cement pilings.

12/31/2020 04:29 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

been stated before...raise right hand...repeat "The inlet is for navigational purposes, it does not matter to the tax district if the surfers' lost the wave next to the Jetty, they still show up and pay to enter regardless"...

Edited: 12/31/2020 at 04:42 AM by SurferMic
 12/31/2020 05:16 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: SurferMic

been stated before...raise right hand...repeat "The inlet is for navigational purposes, it does not matter to the tax district if the surfers' lost the wave next to the Jetty, they still show up and pay to enter regardless"...

haha. it's true. they don't give a shit about surfers much, but ...

When the WSL comes to town, they do care about that.
It has quite an impact on local economy.
In order to make this move forward, gotta convince them it's in state's and county's best interest, which of course, in the end is just the people of the county and state, so could be restated as being in the people's best interest regardless of whether they surf or not. We need reasons for people to come here and visit.

It's also why I'm proposing 50% crowdfunded, and the govt pays rest whether it be state or county/counties. I think we can get most of that crowdfunding via the demolition party entry fee.

Edited: 12/31/2020 at 05:44 AM by TunnelVision
 12/31/2020 05:24 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

The tip of the north jetty is an established habitat for Goliath Grouper and I'm pretty sure they are still considered a threatened species.

Thanks for the morning laugh, I really needed it!

12/31/2020 06:18 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Here's a Surfer Mag story from a few years ago, with a Q&A with the First Peak Project guy:

https://www.surfer.com/features/the-first-peak-project/
 12/31/2020 06:32 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

True, I love to fish the Inlet, butt I'm a south side dude. The tip of the north jetty is a cluster f@#k when the bite is on.

I said I was playing the Devil's advocate, so I'll continue: The WSL. They have never bothered with contests at the Inlet before, so why start now? Well, there was the Stubbies in the early 80's that had some big names, but unless you are taking about entry level/qualifying contests, there has been nothing. Not to mention that surf contests have never brought much of a crowd to Sebastian.

-------------------------
I was right.

Edited: 12/31/2020 at 06:35 AM by Cole
 12/31/2020 10:45 AM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Instead of wasting time in a 2ndlight thread, you would be better off kayaking cinderblocks a bit offshore of your local break. Line up with a marker on the dune and drop them.

After your 80,000th cinderblock drop, you should have a nice artificial reef producing an Aframe on the right swell.

This will take less time than waiting for any changes at 1st Peak (or a decent skatepark to be built beachside)

remember, we are in Brevard County.. the place that thought it would be a good idea to put bowling pins in the middle of the road up and down A1A

Zzzzzzz.. Zzzzzzz.. Braaaaaapp!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 12/31/2020 02:03 PM

TunnelVision

True, I love to fish the Inlet, butt I'm a south side dude. The tip of the north jetty is a cluster f@#k when the bite is on.

I said I was playing the Devil's advocate, so I'll continue: The WSL. They have never bothered with contests at the Inlet before, so why start now? Well, there was the Stubbies in the early 80's that had some big names, but unless you are taking about entry level/qualifying contests, there has been nothing. Not to mention that surf contests have never brought much of a crowd to Sebastian.

It would take convincing them, but I don't think too hard. The inlet is the perfect spot for a competition because it's so close to beach, and the waves are great aground september and october. So, just give the locals at Hossegor their wave back 1 out of every 3 years, and bring the comp to SI. With so many surfers in Florida, I think it's actually quite an easy sell to get them back here. We're their audience.

I think it would be quite easy to get 2000 people to donate 500 and get passes to "blast it back" party, and their names would be forever inscribed on the rocks

Edited: 12/31/2020 at 02:08 PM by TunnelVision
 12/31/2020 04:00 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

Originally posted by: fishkller remember, we are in Brevard County.. the place that thought it would be a good idea to put bowling pins in the middle of the road up and down A1A
So true.

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

12/31/2020 07:23 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

LOL no kidding.. TunnelV, be careful getting the county folks involved.. we may end up with bowling pins sticking out of the inside at the inlet

Zzzzzzz.. Zzzzzzz.. Braaaaaapp!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
 01/01/2021 03:48 AM

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

It would be easier to get Kelly just to build a pool with a first peak type wave. Many LARGER problems in our county to put effort into than this!!!
 01/01/2021 06:31 AM

DaveFL76

I think we'd all like to see the peak back in action, but I think you might be underestimating the size and scope of the project, and the bureaucracy.

Here's the annual report of the inlet from 2019. Any proposed changes would probably take hundreds of thousands of dollars and years, just in the studies. But, since you've got so much energy for the idea, you should try getting in contact with any of these report writers. They could probably point you in the right direction. They're all at FIT.

STATE OF THE INLET REPORT 2019: An Assessment of Inlet Morphologic Processes,
Shoreline Changes, Sediment Budget, and Beach Fill Performance

01/01/2021 07:16 AM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

Originally posted by: ClaimingDFL

Well, however the specific change happened, it did mess it up. I would have to see aerial photo comparison, but from what I remember, it's much longer now, and even if there were rocks there, there weren't all the extra cement pilings.

Here's the comparison. First image is from 1998. I've added a red outline of the current jetty crib structure for reference. The image then transitions to a Google Earth image which I believe is from January 2019. As you'll see, the additional platform that was added to the end was over the existing rock pile I had previously mentioned.
 01/01/2021 08:04 AM

DaveFL76

Wow, how's this for interesting. In 1999 there was a 1-to-35 scale replica of First Peak constructed to study how the new jetty work would affect wave refraction. They predicted no major changes. Oops!

https://www.researchgate.net/f...eft-and_fig7_228500304

01/01/2021 08:59 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

As far as getting surfers to the inlet? It is as, if not more, crowded than ever.

http://2ndlight.com/fusetalk/f...d=197462&enterthread=y

I was right.
FORUMS : Surfing : Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .