Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Jim Phillips
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/22/2020 05:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/22/2020 05:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Jim had a heart attack!!!! Jim's comments taken from jamboards.com: https://jamboards.com/threads/...ging-and-surfing.9032/

shapewright, Oct 8, 2020
This past week was an eye opener for me, an 8 day trip to the sand bottomed southern points in Mexico.
As a 3 time US shortboard champion I expected to be rusty after only getting in the water 5-6 times since last summer.
Doldrums surf, no kelp, morning and evening high tides, the outbreak, red tide, financial uncertainty.
That said, the breaks were beyond my physical ability at this time, sucking up take offs faster than I could catch and get to my feet.
These were NOT longboard waves, I brought a new 6'1" and got so winded trying to paddle out through overhead dumpers, I wasn't ashamed, but could see the, use it or lose it message.
I eventually got some waves, but got thumped, mugged and raped as a Reminder I'm 74 years old and in Damn good shape.

shapewright, Oct 12, 2020
Well guys, here I am in Scrips Encinitas, had a heart attack last night, I knew the hard breathing wasn't a good sign while surfing last week.
I couldn't get comfortable last night, my upper back and chest kept throbbing, I had made an appointment for today with my doc, didn't get to see him

shapewright, Oct 13, 2020
Thanks for all the well wishing.
I'm in Scrips Encinitas, getting released tomorrow.
Had 2 constricted arteries, got 3 stents in the 2 arteries, cholesterol was not good, BP good, but the echocardiogram showed no damage to the heart muscle.
The worst part was I couldn't pee, catheterized me 3 times and finally installed a Foley catheter, that drained 2 liters of urine.
I slept through the night after that.
I had booked a Drs. Appointment for Monday morning, didn't make it.
I asked the doctor if I could walk over to the factory and finish Sunday's shape, he was less than amused.
My wife said, no more 7 days a week working

shapewright, Oct 14, 2020
I'll tell yah, the care and staff at the Encinitas Scrips, was so involved with the patients, I don't see how I could have received any better compassion.
I'm home laid out in my bed, Foley catheter in until Monday, I could go without a length of Chevy fuel line threaded through 2 feet of man tubing, but when they hit gold I almost passed out from the sheer relief. There was 2 liters in the collection bag, I fell asleep in a minute and a half for the night.
I have to get the go ahead to shape, because of them sliding stents in the right arms suicide vein. Tear that and bleed out before finishing calling 911.
Thank you Scrips

shapewright, Friday at 9:15 PM
"dingpatch said: ?
Too much Dirty Surfer Living at Gulf Station!?"

We know if I was living the life of Gulf BeAch or Lums Bums, I'd been worm food decades ago.
It's probably counting on 2 hands the guys in those crews that died young long ago.
I renamed "Sea Gull Park" Jim's Reef, always smaller than second light, but you always got waves to your self.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 10/22/2020 07:34 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thanks for posting ding. Legend!

SO important: "I wasn't ashamed, but could see the, use it or lose it message. I eventually got some waves, but got thumped, mugged and raped as a Reminder I'm 74 years old and in Damn good shape." That he made the journey to Mex to get waves is strong!

We all have friends that used these wake up calls to get that second wind. Push the limits people.

Edited: 10/22/2020 at 02:57 PM by Greensleeves
 10/22/2020 08:53 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

74...wow
 10/23/2020 04:11 AM

Burry

shapewright, Phipps,

i hear they are getting the old Stone Steps crew back together next summer and redoing The Stone Steps Invitational to boot!!!
Beer supplied by " Lucky's ", sky divers, Goodyear Blimp and rumor has it the Eagles may show!

Get Well Soon and sea ya at the contest!

ps Sid is living in Carlsbad and golfing!!! talk to him about getting back to surfing again!

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 10/23/2020 04:48 AM

Cole

I'm glad he understood the pain and acted on it. How many men attempt to "man" through it and end up pushing up daises?

Riding a 6-1 at 74? I can only hope!

I was right.
 10/23/2020 07:25 AM

Central Floridave

Get well Jim Phillips! Thanks for the update.
 10/23/2020 07:35 AM

wehorde

Joined Forum: 08/26/2004

Jim shaped my boards in the early 80's when I was active in the ESA.
Always an adventure going to that factory.
If a board wasn't ready, he'd always say "just pick one off the rack for now"
Hope you're better and back in the line-up soon Jim!

Worst thing I ever read - "No tropical cyclones at this time"

Edited: 10/23/2020 at 07:37 AM by wehorde
 10/23/2020 01:50 PM

johnnyboy

I have a Hustler model. It looks like a giant cigar. Its magic. I wish him well.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/25/2020 08:41 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

jims magic was in the boards he shaped and the always present smile, get better Jimmy
 10/26/2020 05:31 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

my Da Haole Guy 9.6 never fails. get betta Jim!
 10/27/2020 08:29 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

First time I heard of Jim Phillips was in 1991. Our chaperone had to make a stop to pick up a "magic" board on our way to Costa Rica. Never understood that until Johnnyboy let me borrow the cigar at Ft. Pierce this year. Absolutely magic, like an alien spacecraft
 10/28/2020 04:47 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I owned a 9.6 Jim Phillips while living in Miami Beach. That stick could catch everything and glided like butter!

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 10/29/2020 08:17 AM

johnnyboy

Good luck trying to find one. I had my eye on a green da copy cat. It went for more used than new. Still I regret not getting it.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

FORUMS : Surfing : Jim Phillips

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .