Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Amelia, Hilton Head or Tybee Island?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/10/2020 05:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/11/2020 05:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Sounds like Amelia island is pretty nice. I will also check out the Omni there. Only thing with Amelia is it is pretty close to Florida, so doesn't break up the drive much on the way up. Maybe better for the way back down. -Will check out Ft. Clinch, Talbot etc while we're there

Hilton Head is right about in the middle of the drive, and we may try to book into the Disney resort there on the drive up, or possibly the Sonesta- will have to look into pricing etc.

Sounds like Tybee is out- I've heard the same about the "redneck riviera" so will pass on that.

KIMO- what is it about the Omni that you like better- you say it's more fun- in what way?

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 05:40 PM by paddleout
 06/12/2020 04:31 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 06/12/2020 at 08:40 AM by SurferMic
 06/12/2020 12:45 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

Paddleout , we like it because the girls (Wife and two daughters) can walk around the main pool and have food service by the pool or walk a hundred yards down to the beach . There are restaurants on the resort or a short drive on the northern tip offers a bigger selection . it's very relaxed and well planned resort ( golf , tennis , rustic walks ). Hilton head has less stuff in my opinion , but is just as pretty .
 06/15/2020 09:21 AM

RobdaSlob

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I live just South of Savannah and in comparison to Florida think these 3 beaches suck. They are not as clean as Florida, there are lots of rivers that dump into the ocean in this area creating a much muddier ocean and of course pollution. HHI is a bunch of condo living golf players. But it sounds like you like better quality hotels and you will find them there. Tybee is the true redneck beach town. But you do better if you camp or rent a house. Amelia island is probably too close in to Melbourne but a nice resort as you stated. An option would be St Mary's. Quaint quiet coastal seafood town but not much to see. A good place to kayak and would recommend a local guide if you do that. Or a trip to Cumberland island. If you like seafood St Mary's has a few good spots, or drop over to 17 just north of Brunswick and there is a little town called Darien that has nothing but good seafood. Instead of Tybee I would stay in downtown Savannah. Lots of history and it is a pretty town. Hilton Head sucks to me but no shortage of condos or resorts to stay at as noted.

-------------------------
Even a blind hog finds an occasional acorn
 06/15/2020 10:02 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

You and I are on the same page, Rob. I hate the damned highrises that line Florida's coast. Why the hell would I stay at one somewhere else and reward the money grubbers that ruined our coast and theirs?
 06/15/2020 02:04 PM

SurferMic

If you live at the beach why go to another , they even sound worse than our beaches ...If you can swing it get a 1/2 day or full day boat fish/adventure tour to explore the back water marshes, cuts, and secluded winding rivers of the Low Country of South Carolina. At Hilton Head you have 2 great options...NativeSonAdvemtures and/or Off The Hook Fishing Charters. Fun for the ENTIRE family not just fishing but other cool activities in a different environment.
 06/15/2020 06:56 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Hey guys- thanks again for the feedback

Hhead and Amelia are just some stops to reduce the drive time to Boone, not really a destination for us, other than just a place to relax, not do too much and chill in some new surroundings.

I agree- Brevard has some of the best beaches in the US, especially towards the south end, and I'm not thinking I will find better, just something different and new.

Today was the first day that the Disney Hilton Head started taking reservations again, and I booked two nights in a villa there. Should be a nice place to chill for a bit and spend time with the family before getting back on the road.

On the way home, we have one night at the Omni on Amelia, so thanks for the tip Kimo

My credit card is now melted, but it will be fun!
 06/15/2020 07:04 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

I like SurferMic's advice. Hilton Head is nice but why visit a slightly different version of where you came from? If you've never been to Savannah it's an amazing Old South town.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 06/17/2020 05:31 AM

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

JEKYLL ISLAND!

Trust me, if you like riding bikes this island is the best. You can ride on the beach and all over the island on trails and pathways. Plus, check out Driftwood Beach. I highly recommend Jekyll.

Sorry I saw this post after you booked.
 06/17/2020 06:33 AM

SurferMic

^^^ which island charges you to enter, Jekyll or Tybee? Chasing a hurricane swell I left perfect Poles and while heading N decided "Hey I never surfed GA" , big swell in the water, I'll go check it out...Didn't like being charge $$$ to enter the island and there was no waves...nothing ..maybe 1-2 foot???? I could tell the offshore beach profile was shallow for as far as you could see, killing the waves...water was brown as well (natural due to rivers)..beach was brown and flat...spent < 1 hour on the island and cont. on to Folly which was way overhead...weird "flats" off GA coast...never been back
 06/17/2020 06:44 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Jekyll is nice if you have dogs because you can let them run the beach. Went up there in the fall when it was cool, not cold, and the summer crowd was long gone. Basically had the place to ourselves.

Edited: 06/17/2020 at 06:46 AM by RiddleMe
 06/17/2020 05:16 PM

RobdaSlob

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yeah Surfermic there is no surf in GA. Tybee breaks decent maybe 6 times a year and a 2-3' north swell at Tybee is 6' at Poles. The continental shelf extends out a good 50 miles or so damping out everything.

Even a blind hog finds an occasional acorn
 06/21/2020 08:17 AM

bubbagasm

Joined Forum: 04/23/2008

Stayed a week in Palmetto Dunes at Hilton Head and it was awesome. Very quiet and clean. Huge 3 bedroom 3 bath condo was about 220 a night. Private beach was not crowded at all. I also think there is an Omni Hotel in there too. Great places to eat. If you go there, visit Skull Creek Boathouse, awesome atmosphere and food!
FORUMS : Surfing : Amelia, Hilton Head or Tybee Island?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .