Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2ndlight format messed up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/06/2020 06:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/06/2020 06:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Ever since the 2ndlight site crash a while ago, everything looks and works fine before I log in. As soon as I log in all the website's formatting goes crazy. Any icon appears as a question mark, and things are not where they should be. It becomes super hard to do much of anything once logged in. I've emailed for help, but have never received a response. Does anyone know how I can fix this? BTW, I am on a Mac.
 06/06/2020 08:39 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Toss Mack in river. Get new computer.

...just joking. Have you tried a different browser?

-------------------------
I was right.
 06/07/2020 01:08 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I think the format problems are largely Mac. Browser doesn't seem to matter.
    I've taken to using bullets to make paragraphs.

Edited: 06/07/2020 at 01:09 AM by ww
 06/07/2020 04:03 AM

SunriseSurfer

No problems with format or pics or paragraphs for me.

Using Dell with Widows 10 and Chrome and Firefox browsers,
but I've never had any issues.

Couple pics from of the west coast from Gulfster

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013

Edited: 06/07/2020 at 04:16 AM by SunriseSurfer
 06/07/2020 12:56 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Do me a favor...

If you've been having trouble with line breaks, please reply to this post with the first 3 lines as:

123 < hit your line break key(s) after the last digit; don't repeat this text! >

I posted this using < fill in your device/platform here >.

---

That's 3 digits per line, with a "line break" (or your best attempt at one) after each line.

Then, list what device/platform you're posting from (Mac, Win, Linux, iPhone, Android), whether YOU see line breaks when you view it, and if the result is different when you view it on another platform, what platform is that and what is the result.

Don't copy and paste from my text; make sure to type it in on your own keyboard.

Also, let me know if you typed the original text via the "Reply" option at the bottom of each post, or if you entered it in the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page.

---

Historically, there have been several variants of "line break" encoding in different operating systems. They were related to old teletype devices that printed like a typewriter, where you had to signal one command to advance to the next line (LINE FEED), and another command to move the cursor back to the left edge, or beginning of a line (CARRIAGE RETURN); known as CR and LF.

The ASCII code for LF = decimal 10, or hex 0x0A
The ASCII code for CR = decimal 13, or hex 0x0D

Linux uses LF.

Mac used to use CR (iirc), but switched to LF in OSX.

Windows uses the combination CRLF.

If Windows is expecting both but only sees one, you won't get a full, proper new line.

The above applies to text documents edited locally on that operating system. I'm not sure how or if some characters get remapped when typed into a browser window.

I entered a test post earlier from a Linux machine, then copied and pasted the text into a hexadecimal editor, and see both the CR and LF (0D+0A), so who the hell knows. Maybe some more data will help debug this.

There are special utilities on Mac, Linux, and Windows to paste in special characters, similar to the way you can enter foreign characters with accents, etc...

On Windows, one way is to hold down the "Alt" key while entering the ASCII code on the numeric keypad. In Linux and Windows, there are GUI-based options where you can enter them. I don't have a Mac to test it out on...

---

Other weird aspects of this:

The forum software used to support a user profile option to select posting as WYSIWYG or HTML. I can't find that option any more. It might be that users are now stuck with whatever entry method they were using when the forum software got upgraded.

You might also be able to type your replies in a separate text editor, and then paste them from that editor into the forum reply window. Most editors support selectable line-ending style.

Another option is that there might be a browser option where you can select how it displays line endings from other platforms; e.g., always treat CR or LF as CRLF when displayed. I don't know if they do, I'm just saying they should.

I'm guessing here, but maybe it's not too hard to manually insert HTML's line break, whatever character that is.

---

Other possible approaches:
Shift-Enter (at the same time)
Option-Enter (at the same time)
^M^J (Control-M followed by Control-J)

Edited: 06/08/2020 at 06:37 AM by CurtisEflush
 06/11/2020 04:09 PM

larenyon

Cole: I tried to open the page in Opera browser too, and once I logged in it messed up just like safari. It doesn't really bother me when typing or replying, it just becomes very hard to navigate the site with how much everything is messed up. Curtis: I clicked reply on the main post. 123 456 789 iMac/Safari
 06/12/2020 07:46 AM

Cole

I have no issue, but people with my exact same set up do. I'm not sure how someone solves the seemingly impossible?

I was right.
 06/12/2020 11:16 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Have you tried clearing your casche? If you haven't it is worth a try.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 06/13/2020 11:51 AM

CurtisEflush

Originally posted by: larenyon
Curtis: I clicked reply on the main post.

iMac/Safari

Thanks for the data, larenyon. I don't know much about HTML, but this might help steer Chuck/Dave to an answer.

Your three rows of numbers have no linebreak when I view them in Windoze 10, Linux, or on my iPhone.

When I copy your text and paste it into my hex editor, it shows only a space character (0x20) where the line breaks were attempted.

But if I open the browser's "Inspect Source" tool, your text has the full CR/LF sequence (0x0D 0x0A), so your iMac is most likely sending characters that should get interpreted as newlines, and they are saved that way by the website.

When I inspect my three rows in the hex editor, they also have the full CR/LF sequence. But if I view them in the browser's "Inspect Source" tool, it also shows a full HTML break at the end (angle brackets with "br /") between them.

If I copy the source inspector's text into that window, my hex editor shows the same literal linebreak sequence (angle brackets with "br /"), so it's obviously translating my CR/LF sequences (and everybody else's) into HTML.

Interestingly enough, since I used the "Quote" option in my reply, your original text shows up with proper line breaks in the reply editor window.

Hypotheses:

1) Mac only sends CR or LF (but not both); forum software translates it to CR/LF, but doesn't do a necessary, second translation to HTML linebreak;

2) Bug in the forum software, in that it knows you wanted a linebreak since it displays properly in my quoted reply, but not in your original post;

3) "Feature" in the forum software related to the WYSIWYG/HTML entry option that I can't find anymore. Either it needs to interpret your input as HTML but does not, or vice-versa.

Were you able to post with proper line breaks from a Macintosh in the past? If so, how long ago?

06/13/2020 11:56 AM

CurtisEflush

larenyon,

Please reply to this message via the "Quote" button to see if my text displays linebreaks properly when you quote it.

And then try another reply (without quoting my mess) but enter the HTML linebreak characters manually at the end of each line; i.e.,

123 (br /)
456 (br /)
789 (br /)

using angle brackets < and > instead of parentheses.

Thanks again.
 06/13/2020 12:03 PM

CurtisEflush

06/15/2020 09:02 AM

larenyon

Originally posted by: CurtisEflush larenyon, Please reply to this message via the "Quote" button to see if my text displays linebreaks properly when you quote it. 123 456 789 And then try another reply (without quoting my mess) but enter the HTML linebreak characters manually at the end of each line; i.e., 123 (br /) 456 (br /) 789 (br /) using angle brackets < and > instead of parentheses. Thanks again.
 06/15/2020 09:03 AM

larenyon

123 (br /) 456 (br /) 789 (br /)
 06/15/2020 09:04 AM

larenyon

oops 123
 06/15/2020 09:06 AM

larenyon

It's always worked just fine on my PC, then MacBook, then iMac. It just went south after the website crash. There are boxes filled in with a smaller boxed (blue) question mark all over too. Pic in threads show up though.
 06/15/2020 10:01 AM

CurtisEflush

Thanks for the follow-ups. Everything seems to point to the forum software. Google couldn't find much on Fuse Talk configuration. I defer to the site admins on this one...
 06/17/2020 09:11 AM

larenyon

That's what I'm waiting for. I've emailed them 2 times about this but they've never responded. Do you know a way to contact them that they check/respond to?
 06/17/2020 12:41 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: larenyon

That's what I'm waiting for. I've emailed them 2 times about this but they've never responded. Do you know a way to contact them that they check/respond to?

Dave?

I was right.
 06/17/2020 01:06 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Oddly what fixed it for me was simply previewing a post I made with line breaks, then posting it.

Every

After

Works now

Edited: 06/17/2020 at 01:07 PM by RiddleMe
 06/17/2020 05:51 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

123 456 789 it'll prob be fuct. ;-)
FORUMS : Surfing : 2ndlight format messed up

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .