Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Two simultaneous swells, different periods
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/02/2020 05:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2020 05:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

I was counting the time between waves recently and it matched up with the dominant swell period the buoys were showing (7-8 seconds). I'm curious what happens when you have two different swells hitting the beach at the same time with two significantly different periods.

Let's say you have swell #1 from the NE at 13 seconds and swell #2 from the SE at 7 seconds. Will some sets have waves spaced 13 seconds apart (those from swell #1) and other sets with waves spaced 7 seconds apart (those from swell #2)? I've never really counted to check but intuitively I don't think I've ever noticed this kind of difference in the wave spacing between different sets on any given day.
 05/03/2020 06:17 AM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Yes, but it can be difficult to separate out the two swells by eye. They will most likely have different directions as well. It is fairly common around here to have a small short period SE wind swell due to local wind mixed with larger longer period NE ground swell. This will appear as a cross chop bump moving through the wave and can be pretty frustrating.

-------------------------
"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 05/03/2020 10:01 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

We have all seen days were one set was fun and the next set sucked. I've always attributed it do a different water level and currents from the first set, but it does kinda make sense that it's two different swells.

I have seen a mix of swells turn long crap lines into fun peaks, but that is as rare as hen's teeth in Cocoa Beach.

-------------------------
I was right.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .