Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Friday, May 1st
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/28/2020 04:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/12/2020 03:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

Any idea how much damage those pins do to a car? Thousands???

-------------------------

JMA

05/12/2020 04:36 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

I've got a new hobby when driving through the Great A1A Minefield.

Get behind a vehicle pulling a trailer, like a landscape truck - or better yet, a semi.

They can't avoid the pinball bumpers and just mow them over, one after the other- it's actually quite amusing to watch.

Since I must slow to a crawl anyway due to everyone else, I just sit back and watch the show.

Just don't get too close to the truck, because usually a car in the next lane over gets up there and when the truck hits the paddle- they freak out and swerve.

A total sh!t show- but an entertaining piece of Brevardian culture to be sure.

When America was "great"
 05/12/2020 06:12 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

COVID-19, A1A, it's all part of the New Normal, , , , , LOL. LOL

Dora Hates You
 05/12/2020 06:15 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

they will re-brand it as..........COVIDA1A!
 05/13/2020 03:48 AM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

Originally posted by: fishkller I've got a new hobby when driving through the Great A1A Minefield. Get behind a vehicle pulling a trailer, like a landscape truck - or better yet, a semi. They can't avoid the pinball bumpers and just mow them over, one after the other- it's actually quite amusing to watch. Since I must slow to a crawl anyway due to everyone else, I just sit back and watch the show. Just don't get too close to the truck, because usually a car in the next lane over gets up there and when the truck hits the paddle- they freak out and swerve. A total sh!t show- but an entertaining piece of Brevardian culture to be sure.
Sweet! I haven't seen that SHOW yet.

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

05/13/2020 03:51 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Go to Family Auto Mart, get a $500 beater, and get on A1A and go to town on them thingys in the road.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 05/13/2020 at 07:57 AM by dingpatch
 05/13/2020 02:38 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

The real fun is my left hand turn onto A1A across all lanes, around the Pedestrian blocked area and between the signs...getting pretty good making it with one hand on the wheel and the other holding coffee
 05/13/2020 09:21 PM

fishkller

I'm not going to name any names, but there are a few politicians, even a particular local one.. who's face printed out and taped to the middle paddle would make smacking it even more fun..

When America was "great"
 05/14/2020 05:58 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: fishkller well, they will go.. county will go broke replacing them.. its like 2 down everyday..

The state FDOT are the ones paying to replace them and they have backup to the backup. This is an unchecked, unaccountable organization so they will just keep surprising us all with new levels of stupidity.

I am that guy pulling a boat trailer. It was funny to me too for about 2 minutes until I realized it could damage my trailer and/or tires over time.

Maybe there will be a use for lawyers in the world afterall and one of these will break loose and fly off and damage one's 80k Porsche and they will file a lawsuit (not that I am wishing that on anyone, but it is inevitable).
 05/14/2020 10:10 AM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

This is an opportunity to make comments about the problems with the A1A Pedestrian Crossings. If you want to effect change you have to take action.

Space. Coast Transportation Organization interactive roadway map for public comment input

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Edited: 05/14/2020 at 10:20 AM by dab
 07/27/2020 08:42 PM

fishkller

Well, it's been awhile.

Now the A1A bowling pins are a combination of broken, moved and removed altogether.

Most spots have the left hand bumper moved more into the island to create a wider lane.

Many spots have the right hand bumper removed altogether, although this seems to be a bit random.. some have them, some don't.

The middle bowling pins have been getting their ass kicked, and a good third to half of them are just laying there in the road all busted up, flopped over, or broken...

Seems that no one is maintaining them anymore?

The ones that are standing are covered in black marks, all busted looking.

Have people slowed down?

I'd say the average speed in now 45, although I've seen plenty of people going 50 or above. Haven't seen many people getting tickets.

Seems folks just learned how to drive through these things w/o slowing down too much, but there are lots of out-of-towners still slamming on their brakes, so the hazard is still there.

Flashing lights all over the place- hard to tell what means what if you aren't used to the drive.

I'd say it's a FAIL, but that's my opinion.

Will be interesting to see what they do with this long term, because right now it looks like the yard of a vacant house.

When America was "great"

Edited: 07/27/2020 at 08:42 PM by fishkller
 07/28/2020 05:06 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Many years ago, a CCB official was quoted in FL Today saying that they had lowered the speed limit to 35 mph so that drivers would stay under 45. I think that this may have been the plan with this area, too. Traffic is consistently right at 45 mph.
 07/28/2020 05:29 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: fishkller

Well, it's been awhile.

Now the A1A bowling pins are a combination of broken, moved and removed altogether.

Most spots have the left hand bumper moved more into the island to create a wider lane.

Many spots have the right hand bumper removed altogether, although this seems to be a bit random.. some have them, some don't.

The middle bowling pins have been getting their ass kicked, and a good third to half of them are just laying there in the road all busted up, flopped over, or broken...

Seems that no one is maintaining them anymore?

The ones that are standing are covered in black marks, all busted looking.

Have people slowed down?

I'd say the average speed in now 45, although I've seen plenty of people going 50 or above. Haven't seen many people getting tickets.

Seems folks just learned how to drive through these things w/o slowing down too much, but there are lots of out-of-towners still slamming on their brakes, so the hazard is still there.

Flashing lights all over the place- hard to tell what means what if you aren't used to the drive.

I'd say it's a FAIL, but that's my opinion.

Will be interesting to see what they do with this long term, because right now it looks like the yard of a vacant house.

Many good points, but the flashing lights posting the 35mph speed limit is a big problem by my house. If you are headed North on A1A around the Blueberry Muffin area there is a crosswalk followed by the flashing 35mph speed limit sign which from the North the speed limit blinking lights are transposed over the crosswalk and I can't tell you how many accidents I have almost seen there because of people stopping for no reason. I think they have given up on the entire project along with monitoring the speeding.

07/28/2020 09:48 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

I don't use them anymore, back to the old method of wait and run..actually is safer than the x-walks...when I was using them besides almost being killed twice by cars that did not even tap their brakes I have also had run ins with Road Rager's, yelling because they had to stop while you cross... Cops are not around, speed is back to 45 - 55mph..YES FAIL

Edited: 07/30/2020 at 06:21 AM by SurferMic
 07/28/2020 02:35 PM

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

This will get mixed replies. Take out the cross walks, keep the speed limit at 35 and enforce it. Satellite Beach had a reputation of enforcing the speed limit years ago and everyone knew it, now, not so much.

JMA

07/28/2020 04:41 PM

fishkller

Originally posted by: TATTOO74

Many good points, but the flashing lights posting the 35mph speed limit is a big problem by my house. If you are headed North on A1A around the Blueberry Muffin area there is a crosswalk followed by the flashing 35mph speed limit sign which from the North the speed limit blinking lights are transposed over the crosswalk and I can't tell you how many accidents I have almost seen there because of people stopping for no reason. I think they have given up on the entire project along with monitoring the speeding.

Yep- that's exactly what I was referring to.. they need to cool it with the flashing disco they've got going..

When America was "great"
 07/28/2020 04:46 PM

fishkller

Originally posted by: SurferSince1965

This will get mixed replies. Take out the cross walks, keep the speed limit at 35 and enforce it. Satellite Beach had a reputation of enforcing the speed limit years ago and everyone knew it, now, not so much.

That is actually my preferred solution.

All these pinball bumpers are ridiculous and look stupid/bad.

Surfer Mic has a point- drivers either are confused or don't respect all these flashing lights everywhere you look.. or they are just a dick. As a realistic pedestrian, it's still in your own hands to go when there is no freaking car coming.

(that's what I and everyone else have to do in my car when turning onto A1A.. so it's possible)

I also agree with SurferSince- if they stopped *spending* money on these ridiculous contraptions/gimmicks and started *making* money by ticketing speeders who go, say 55+.. then pretty quick it would have the infamous reputation as a speedtrap/ticketing zone and people would be paying much more attention to how fast they are going.

Oh well, it's Florida, and it's Brevard- of course it's going to be a shitshow.

When America was "great"

Edited: 07/28/2020 at 04:47 PM by fishkller
 08/09/2020 08:15 AM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

I like it to be honest. I know most cars I see are actually following the speed limit now, or close to it. There will always be a few who feel their need to get somewhere 10 seconds faster is worth potentially risking a kid's life over. I think it could be improved by: - removing the blinking sign by the Blueberry Muffin that you see when driving north. It is confusing and redundant. - remove just the center reflector flap thing that is in between the 2 lanes. - police NEED to constantly be enforcing the speed limit (in MB the police will ticket you for driving 32 in a 30 on Oak St. This is a daily thing that happens and it keeps people following the speed limit.
 08/09/2020 01:06 PM

fishkller

Yeah those pinball bumpers need to go.

Drove by one yesterday- broken and hanging at a 90 degree angle 2 feet INTO the righthand southbound lane. Nobody maintaining these anymore, people were having to stop and drive into the shoulder to get through without rubbing it along their car.

So dumb..

You know what would work better and not risk accidents /denting up vehicles?

Once of those "your speed is" signs WITH an LED message saying "ACTIVELY TICKETING TODAY - $300 fine"

When America was "great"

Edited: 08/09/2020 at 01:07 PM by fishkller
 03/07/2022 09:16 AM

whitey

Joined Forum: 12/03/2011

Surpisingly another great idea. Lets put yellow lights IN the road at the crossings. People cant figure out how not to hit the signs in the middle and throw them up in the air and hit your car. How do I know this? I`ve seen it happen 3 times now. And why wasnt this done in the first place when this chitshow began if its going to make a difference?
FORUMS : Surfing : Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Fr...

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .