Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Coquina reef depth Patrick / Satellite
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/27/2020 04:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/27/2020 04:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Does anyone know how deep the nearshore Coquina reef ("the rocks") runs under the sand? I'm curious if it's a relatively shallow bed of rock or if it goes down deep. In other words, is it a 6' layer of Coquina laid on top of the sand or does the Coquina go down dozens/hundreds of feet?

I would suppose when they laid the pilings for the old Patrick Pier they would have gotten some clue as they bored down through.

I'm also curious exactly how far north the Coquina reefs run. Farthest north I've ever personally detected the rocks was just north of the old Officer's Club restaurant. I've always wondered if the reef is actually also there at Picnic Tables but just submerged far enough that the sand covers it perpetually, and if it continues on into Cocoa Beach like this but just too deep to ever get exposed.

Also wondering if the rockiness in the river is linked to this same Coquina shelf...just one big sheet that runs underneath the barrier island. Any evidence of the Coquina shelf running from the ocean down under the island? Anyone encountered the Coquina during any construction/dig projects on land?
 04/27/2020 04:58 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: sw I'm also curious exactly how far north the Coquina reefs run. Farthest north I've ever personally detected the rocks was just north of the old Officer's Club restaurant. I've always wondered if the reef is actually also there at Picnic Tables but just submerged far enough that the sand covers it perpetually, and if it continues on into Cocoa Beach like this but just too deep to ever get exposed.
Have wondered about this too. But I think that if the above is true (which it may be) then it submerged and exposed North at least to the north end of Anastasia Island (St Aug bch), eh? scombrid probably knows.
 04/27/2020 05:31 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coquina
 04/28/2020 02:48 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Google "Florida geological survey". Select "fgs geological data". Do a "borehole search query" and look for one with online data. Have fun.

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/28/2020 04:48 AM

sw

Interesting site, checked 10-15 of the borehole entries but all had only brief summaries and none had any data describing the core samples
 04/28/2020 07:00 AM

tom

Dang you're right. I thought that's how I'd gotten to them before. I'll poke around when I have some time and see if I can find them again. Sorry!

04/28/2020 06:59 PM

tom

https://floridadep.gov/fgs/dat...ontent/greenbook-index Logs are here. You'll need to go back to the maps or use longlat from index to locate.

04/29/2020 04:16 AM

sw

Very interesting data to "sift" through. There really is a lack of data on anything drilled at the shoreline or just offshore though, which is what I'm most curious about. Guess there isn't much demand for deep freshwater wells on the beach!

However for my questions about what happens below the barrier islands there was plenty of data to explore. Looks like all over Brevard the top 0'-10' up to 30' is mostly loose sands and after that you start seeing mostly marls, limestone and clay at varying levels.

Even past 200'-300' the core samples still showed tons of the same little shell fragments that the coquina aggregate is made up of. Very interesting!
 04/29/2020 05:49 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

The expert lives right here in town...Dr Gary Zarillo from FIT...

Edited: 04/29/2020 at 08:35 AM by SurferMic
 04/29/2020 07:56 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

[url=https://ibb.co/xf0s6Rj][/url] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Formation What's the farthest it goes out around here? I've bounced off the hard bottom after a big hurricane swell at Rc's pretty far out, but when I swam around out there on a calm summer day I didn't see much past about 30 yards out of or so. somewhat interesting https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/geology-coquina-rocks

Edited: 04/29/2020 at 12:37 PM by surfmcc32
 04/29/2020 04:55 PM

StirfryMcflurry

so, just North of Anastasia. Cool. I knew I was close. Thanks!
 05/05/2020 06:42 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry so, just North of Anastasia. Cool. I knew I was close. Thanks![IMG][/IMG]
actually that's south, down by marineland / palm coast..... .... BUT there was a big coquina quarry on Anastasia Island, and that's where how they built the Castillo. Too bad we don't have an RCs though..... "Middles" was ours, but they ruined it when they pumped sand in the park. Never been the same. RIP.

Edited: 05/05/2020 at 06:45 AM by Plan B
 05/05/2020 08:54 PM

StirfryMcflurry

si, senor b, am aware of the quarry on anastasia island, and also aware of the whole washington oaks area ... BUTT not talkin about that.., lookin at the graphic posted (of course it may be me eyes) the blue also show NORTH of the A island (hence the name of the formation, I'd imagine) / inlet and well up into the Vilano ponte vedra area. I know you are near the scene, so, send out a recon team and let me know what the real dealio is. I can't get over there today... watch out for the indians

Edited: 05/05/2020 at 09:17 PM by StirfryMcflurry
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .