Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sandbars?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/15/2020 12:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/15/2020 12:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

FloridianSoul

Joined Forum: 12/17/2007

It seems that the sandbars are a disaster pretty much all over the place in Brevard. Really crappy in South Cocoa Beach, for sure. Does anyone know what the problem is? Too much sand, not enough sand?? Tide really seems irrelevant but for the most , it seems to be breaking "somewhat" better on high tide, if anything. Seems to be a bunch of holes in the bottom also. Any ideas ? Maybe need a big storm to flush sand in or out?

-------------------------
"If you love NY, take I-95 north"
 04/15/2020 01:06 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

The shitty sand that is pumped and dumped from inland or Canaveral shoals is not the same as the natural sand that was on the beach 20 years ago. When the ACOE dumped the sand, they put it in at a steeper angle which led to the sand being 'scalped' out by the first swell that hit it after being dumped. It then settled about 80-100 yards out and sits there with a deep trough in between, leading to outside closeouts, a lot of shorepound, plus a dangerous steep dropoff a few yards off the beach and littoral currents that can drown unsuspecting swimmers. Not to forget the silt from the tiny particulates in the dumped material that gets stirred up with each swell and can lead to more shark bites.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 04/15/2020 02:59 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

I may be wrong but the sand did not come from the Canav. Shoals this time...not 100% sure but I "think" the sand was pumped from offshore Indi and offshore Mel Beach? (and other areas). I hated initial outcome at first but now I am having a blast in the Shore-break at High tide and Low tide, reminds me of the Boardwalk back in the 80's. Just trying not to get hurt. Got some sketchy, racey rights, a few cover ups and definately some fun beatings in 1 foot of water. There are some spots that are still the same in our county and the one just South of us in IRC that seem to be the same as always, just got to look around BUT ONLY FOR BEACHSIDE RESIDENTS ONLY...sorry

Edited: 04/15/2020 at 03:00 PM by SurferMic
 04/15/2020 03:29 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

quote SurferMic "((((just got to look around BUT ONLY FOR BEACHSIDE RESIDENTS ONLY...sorry))))))"

I dig riding my bike to the beach to surf......
 04/15/2020 04:40 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Ya- I'm a stick carry'n rusty beach machine rider too. Love'n life baby! btw- sand is dredged from the shoals onto their junk look'n container ship and toted on down to their anchored tethered out-going dredge pipe at Spessy and piled high high high, then trucked to untold wherevers. Pretty much unsurfable from Boardwalk to Spanny~ yeEw!

ola ~

04/15/2020 06:19 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

yup, fresh fish poop sand from the shoals. okay, screw the inline editor today. https://www.boem.gov/sites/default/files/non-energy-minerals/2019-Brevard-FONSI.pdf

Edited: 04/15/2020 at 06:21 PM by pompano
 04/16/2020 05:22 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

Yep this last swell, waist to chest high lines but the outside bar at dead low was barely breaking. Just feathering and crumbling at the top then it hits the trough of death and dies until it hits the shore pound. But like SurferMic said I did find some high tide shore pound peaks that were kinda fun breaking in less than a foot of water. Unfortunately the powers that be could care less about us surfers. We dont own beach front property or hotels and we are not the tourist bringing in the $$$$. I hate when they dump the sand but the alternative is sea walls and no beach in front of them like Counties to the south of us. It sucks. They will never listen to our needs or care the surf sucks. And they will never just buy beach front property and let nature take its course because the land is too expensive. So we are stuck with this never ending cycle. And now we cant even go on a surf trip to find a decent wave. Ugh!

-

04/16/2020 05:32 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

well that isn't the only alternative. those condos are going to get eaten by the ocean anyways. the clock is ticking on them
 04/16/2020 08:04 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: RiddleMe

well that isn't the only alternative. those condos are going to get eaten by the ocean anyways. the clock is ticking on them

If we get a repeat of what the Bahamas went through, there is going to be a whole lot of condo shaped reefs.

I was right.
 04/16/2020 08:17 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: Cole
Originally posted by: RiddleMe well that isn't the only alternative. those condos are going to get eaten by the ocean anyways. the clock is ticking on them
If we get a repeat of what the Bahamas went through, there is going to be a whole lot of condo shaped reefs.
would probably be the end of my house too. i have it, but am oddly not in zone that requires flood insurace despite my proximity. half my street is, just not my half. it is pretty much slightly downhill all the way from a1a to the canals and river here though
 04/16/2020 08:44 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Cole

would probably be the end of my house too. i have it, but am oddly not in zone that requires flood insurace despite my proximity. half my street is, just not my half. it is pretty much slightly downhill all the way from a1a to the canals and river here though

My driveway is in a flood zone, my house is not. lol

I do have flood insurance.

And don't get me wrong, I do not want a hurricane, EVER! I am seriously over these things.

I was right.
 04/16/2020 09:07 AM

waterrat

Joined Forum: 05/26/2005

not to mention they fd up the beach for the sea turtles, and it is almost their nesting season and they were still dumping sand.
people gonna build on the beach they need to just live with how mother nature takes care of the beach instead of pissing away money and fng up the beach.
 04/16/2020 09:57 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: ColeI do have flood insurance. And don't get me wrong, I do not want a hurricane, EVER! I am seriously over these things.
Like I've said after the past few PIA hurricanes..... as always I want them to stay 500 miles offshore (with offshores).... but if it comes, I want my house totally DESTROYED. I'd rather not spend another 2 years gutting and replacing the inside of my house again.
 04/16/2020 09:58 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: waterrat not to mention they fd up the beach for the sea turtles, and it is almost their nesting season and they were still dumping sand. people gonna build on the beach they need to just live with how mother nature takes care of the beach instead of pissing away money and fng up the beach.
Up here, the one caveat for "beach renourishment" was that it had to be completed before sea turtle nesting season
 04/16/2020 10:20 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Plan B

Originally posted by: ColeI do have flood insurance.

And don't get me wrong, I do not want a hurricane, EVER! I am seriously over these things.

Like I've said after the past few PIA hurricanes..... as always I want them to stay 500 miles offshore (with offshores).... but if it comes, I want my house totally DESTROYED. I'd rather not spend another 2 years gutting and replacing the inside of my house again.

I agree. I even have the sledge hammer to make it happen.

I was right.
 04/16/2020 01:41 PM

Plan B

Originally posted by: Cole I agree. I even have the sledge hammer to make it happen.
HA.... Could I least lose my roof? Nah, not even a shingle (did roof it myself).... how about at least one of the 2 oak trees near the house? Not even.... But how about 15" of water? suuuuuuper..... I actually had a shot. Power kicked on and stove a refrigerator outlets started smoking...... "OH SHIT" then my damn instincts kicked in and I unfortunately ran to breaker..... DOH
 04/16/2020 03:00 PM

Cole

Leave the gas on and rig a cig with an m80. Nah, I don't want to kill any neighbors.

I was right.
FORUMS : Surfing : Sandbars?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .