Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sand
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/23/2020 04:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2020 04:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

I wonder how many $$$ of sand washed away today? I'd laugh if it didn't piss me off so much. Kill the reef save the lagoon???

-------------------------

JMA

01/24/2020 07:22 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

I work for the County so not going to shit where I eat but feel free to bring this up to the Natural Resources Department. They oversee the renourishment projects and lagoon projects. Ask how much money just washed away and if that money could have been better spent on lagoon projects. Let them know we are tired of wasting tax dollars to secure the rich beachfront property owners homes and the ruining of our surf breaks and covering of fish habitat. Virginia Barker is the Director of Natural Resources: virginia.barker@brevardfl.gov 321-633-2016 x58411 Link to renourishment project I think Ms. Barker is well intentioned and cares about the environment but at County governments politics rule and if she wants to keep her job she has to play the game.

-

Edited: 01/24/2020 at 07:24 AM by e11even
 01/27/2020 08:34 AM

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

e11even, well the beach re-nourishment is a done deal but so sad to watch. Now about the IRL and the 10 year tax, tell Mrs. Barker that if they want that tax renewed, which we all know they will, they will need to show results and prudence this time around or no one will vote to give them another ten years.

JMA

01/27/2020 10:56 AM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

It is not a 'done deal'. They broke the law by not including the green turtle in protecting their critical habitat for an endangered species. It would just take a lawyer filing an injunction and the judge approving it. Also, if the fake reef does not do a good enough job replicating the habitat of other protected species, then the project would also be stopped - as stipulated in the agreement.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 01/27/2020 11:04 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Although I am against the Sand, the new reefs are doing very well in a short time, No pics but during the flatness of summer, I checked it out, it has way more creatures and growth on it than I ever would have thought. The Green turtle or another angle would be a better focus than the health of the new reefs. Hoping FIT does another study soon. They have 1 paper that surveyed the reef, waiting for the next. What I have noticed is the Inlet Shoal appears to be growing in all directions and it appears more sand is being trapped around the tip of the South Jetty. Maybe from previous re-nourishment projects? (sand coming down from up North on the long-shore N-S current)...Not sure but from an untrained eye its looks way different than just a few years ago, waves are breaking in places that used to be deep(ish).

Edited: 01/27/2020 at 11:17 AM by SurferMic
FORUMS : Surfing : Sand

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .