Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sand bars
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2020 06:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2020 06:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mp2115

Joined Forum: 05/29/2009

Is it the swells, lack of energy, or are the sand bars really in bad shape along Southern Brevard county. I'm sure there are good breaks somewhere but I have mostly observed deep drop offs right off shore dumping waves on the outside with not really a good wave to ride. Hopefully this is not the new norm and our sand bars recover.
 01/16/2020 08:12 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

You can thank the renourishment project for our crappy bars. The bar behind the house was working good until they dumped the new sand now exactly as you described with the trough of death.

-------------------------

-

01/16/2020 08:52 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

They changed the slope of the beach and now the reverb off it comes as backwash and carves out the trough deeply inside, then builds a shallow bar, and then another deep trough. Waves hold back until they slam on the bar and then back off as it hits the trough. We have been going thru this in Mel Bch for about 10 years. Epic spots now suck. Now the rest of the county gets the "benefit" of this (totally unnecessary) project. There are more dunes than I ever remember (and I've been here since 1959). In addition, one resident, who was remodeling east of the CC line, provided a comparative survey (as reqd) that showed he now had 23 ft (yes, 23 ft!) more dune than was there in 1971. And yet, we keep dumping millions of dollars just to "protect" the beachfront owners (and don't forget how we subsidize their property insurance). Jesus said he would build his church on rock (because to build it on sand was folly), but, the State of Florida (in the grasp of developers and realtors) know better. And, you and I will just keep on paying more and more.
 01/16/2020 08:56 AM

IamSAW2

Joined Forum: 01/10/2014

Noticed that too, one long shallow sand bar with an inside deep trough running from Key West to Maine (or so it seems). There are spots where that is not true but the locations are a closely guarded secret; only about 10k people know about them. Not sure if we can blame it all on the recent sand project/waste of $, there are areas not recently re-sanded that have THE TROUGH OF DEATH too. Hopefully we are just one good NE'ster away from re-arranging those. In the meantime I'm enjoying my 0.03 sec rides before the curtain comes down.
 01/16/2020 09:39 AM

wehorde

Joined Forum: 08/26/2004

I've always wished some investigative reporter would do a very deep investigation into the costs, commitments, and contracts. Who's related to who in that world? (business and personal) Also, wasn't there some chatter a while back about a 50 year contract being signed? I guess that would stop it from coming under risk year after year?

Worst thing I ever read - "No tropical cyclones at this time"
 01/16/2020 10:05 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

Originally posted by: wehorde I've always wished some investigative reporter would do a very deep investigation into the costs, commitments, and contracts. Who's related to who in that world? (business and personal) Also, wasn't there some chatter a while back about a 50 year contract being signed? I guess that would stop it from coming under risk year after year?
that report has been written a million times over. we, the "civilized" , "first" world just fail to acknowledge that everything done related to this is for immediate and short-term profit and protection only. yet, we still elect people like dumba$$ combover man who take us on a trip back to the gilded age for 8 years. please, elect smart people. push for smart solutions, broaden your horizons. money is a made up thing that has become a tool for sequestering and those with it don't want you to think otherwise and to keep everyone from realizing that and acting upon it, they pay other people like them to make sure the opposition's efforts are staggered (and they call this democracy). natural resources and people are the only things with real, unassigned value. there is always a new way of doing something that is better, albeit we might actually have to use our brains and get off our lazy a$$es for once, heaven forbid.

sneedeker

Edited: 01/16/2020 at 10:16 AM by harrietdubman
 01/16/2020 01:51 PM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

There was one sandbar working today and EVERYBODY was there!! RCs crew Pelican crew etc. #trestleslite

Time and tide wait for no one.....
 01/16/2020 02:44 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I checked three spots today, then skipped it and went to work.

I was right.
 01/16/2020 03:24 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Cole

I checked three spots today, then skipped it and went to work.

What about these??

Gulfster Satilithe Bch report

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 01/17/2020 06:25 AM

Cole

Mostly runaway closeouts and a long wait for the edges that petered out quickly into the trough.

I hate troughs.

I was right.
 01/17/2020 06:39 AM

slideaway

Joined Forum: 12/22/2008

Some inside sections were fun at high tide...

"It's always better than it looks from the crossover."

01/17/2020 08:49 AM

Greensleeves

Cole 2nd street north at high tide yesterday had some fun ones. Trough not super bad and waves moved in over it. Check Sunday in that area.
FORUMS : Surfing : Sand bars

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .