Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shoulder surgery
Topic Summary: Surgery to surf rehab time
Created On: 10/13/2014 07:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2014 07:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PetDen

Joined Forum: 09/24/2014

Hello first post long time reader.I recently went in to have some bone spurs removed from my shoulder ...Long story short I also had a torn labrum on the bicep. I assume I'm not the first guy here to havfe this done so I was wondering about the surgery to surf rehab time . How long any advice ?Mike

-------------------------
 10/13/2014 07:52 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

After arthroscopic surgery for bone spurs only it was 3 months to get back in the water for me. 4-5 months before I felt 100%.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 10/13/2014 at 08:50 AM by daner
 10/13/2014 11:44 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I had a badly detached labrum and some bad spurs fixed by Dr Woodward 2 years ago.
Was out about 3 months. Do the Physical therapy..

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/13/2014 12:16 PM

PetDen

Originally posted by: WG I had a badly detached labrum and some bad spurs fixed by Dr Woodward 2 years ago. Was out about 3 months. Do the Physical therapy..

10/13/2014 12:18 PM

PetDen

Dr Woodward did mine also. Doing PT at Beachside in IHB. Mike

10/13/2014 01:59 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Yup, torn labrum, torn supraspinatus, bone spur. 3 months and I was paddling on the fun shape. Gave that a few months then back on the shorty. Needless to say, Doc Woodward is THE MAN. And, external rotations are the best rotator strengthening, paddle simulating shoulder workout. I still do them 2-3 times a week. To quote the doc, increase your weight and when you get to a ten pound dumbbell you will never have shoulder pain again! And you start this with one pound so go slow... Edit: external rotations to NOT simulate paddling. The muscles used and the way you feel after doing them simulates paddling. It feels like you paddled for an hour or so.
 11/21/2014 07:43 AM

PetDen

Well, It's been right at 7 weeks since the surgery shoulder feels good. Can't wait to get back in the water.LIV2SURFDT, External rotations are a killer even on the good arm. I'm up to two pounds and can still feel the burn.Ordered a Ricky Carroll JQ for X-mas so I have that to look forward to ! Mike

11/21/2014 08:25 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Try and wait for a clean small day to try out the shoulder. I thought I was ready but my first paddle out after 3 months in 2 foot glass on a funshape was still a bitch!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

11/21/2014 01:58 PM

BozemanBeach

Joined Forum: 11/21/2014

I am a physical therapist. Each case is obviously slightly different for many reasons...If you stay consistent with your exercises, minimum two months, but 6 months before you feel "normal."  Caution if you return when paddling with a wetsuit for the first time.  This can easily affect your biomechanics of the joint. I live in CB.  I have developed a "surfers paddle" to minimize wear and tear on the shoulders. Pm me if your interested. 

11/21/2014 06:56 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

LOL, PetDen, you were probably under Dr. Woodward's knife the same day he did my 2nd shoulder. My first shoulder was done in early March; the only work was clearing out a bone spur and some adhesive tissue, but the recovery hurt like hell, probably because I couldn't use that shoulder for 4 months before the surgery.

I got a cortisone shot about 3 months after the surgery, and that reduced the pain enough to get past a plateau in PT. After about 5 months, I started to feel OK paddling slowly on a long board, but duck-diving and even popping up on a shortboard put some painful pressure on the shoulder joint. Time in the swimming pool was huge as far as PT goes. By 7 months I'd say I've gotten back >90% range of motion and about 70% strength (w/o working too hard at it).

2nd shoulder had 2 bone spurs, some adhesive tissue cut away, and a torn labrum fixed with two anchors. It's been kinda tough with this recovery too (in part because I normally sleep on that shoulder, so I'm sleep deprived), and I'm bummed because this shoulder was not in as much pain (despite the need for more repair) beforehand... Realistically, I'm hoping to be doing breaststrokes in a heated swimming pool by Christmas (~3-month mark), freestyle strokes about 3 weeks after that, and longboarding shortly after. So yeah, 4-6 months basic recovery, then 1-2 months getting the surfing under control again.

P.S. I'm 51 and a desk jockey w/o enough time for proper PT, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck with it all.

EDIT: Bozeman, if you don't mind, please post what you can about the "surfer's paddle" here so you don't have to repeat it for every PM request. Thanks!
 11/21/2014 08:03 PM

BozemanBeach

Joined Forum: 11/21/2014

As with most things, it's better seen in person...

when you've completed the paddle and ready to take your arm out of the water and advance it forward, retract and depress your scapula, keep your humerus as close to your ribs as possible without elevating (shrugging), externally rotate your humerus so your hand isn't flat with the water and is instead a thumb up position. 

When your hand enters the water, it shouldn't be at your Max reach  Enter earlier, and continue to reach forward as your hand enters the water ( a lot of people do this naturally).

If your having trouble doing all of these things, you'd  likely benefit from some specific stretches and strengthening exercises. Good luck. See you in the water...you should recognize me by my paddle!

11/21/2014 08:32 PM

deepblue3

Joined Forum: 10/19/2012

After my vasectomy I was told to apply ice liberally for a week. I chose not to and my nads became infected and swelled to the size of a volleyball(men's large volleyball). While it made for some funny text/picture messages, let it be a valuable lesson to you. 

Big hitter the Lama.

11/22/2014 12:15 PM

IamSAW

Joined Forum: 05/02/2006

Just found this link, looks like it's got some good stuff: surf strength coach - shoulders-rotator-cuff-training
 11/24/2014 06:27 AM

PetDen

danner- Yea that's the plan. Wait for a clean low tide morning and see how it goes.BozemanBeach - Thanks every little bit helps, I think that's the way I paddle naturally anyway. RegularJoe - I know what you mean 54 and push a mouse for a living . Mike

11/25/2014 06:53 AM

gishbeers

Joined Forum: 11/19/2012

Thanks for the post, anyone had roatator/labrum shoulder surgery with Dr. Dejong? I have an appointment with him and woodward and wondering if anyone had any comments. Thanks and hope to be surfing soon as well!

11/25/2014 07:34 AM

PetDen

gishbeers, I have no experiance with Dr. Dejong. I asked around work and overwhelmingly Dr. Woodward's name came up. He is highly thought of here as well. Mike

12/03/2014 07:01 AM

gishbeers

Joined Forum: 11/19/2012

Thanks PetDen appreciate it. I actually went to Dejong yesterday and he was very informative and I have heard some good things about him as well.

I have another appt schedule with Dr. Woodward at the end of January, just not sure how long the wait will be thereafter for surgery. I'll let you know in about 4 months how everything went. Hope to be surfing soon.

01/12/2021 06:56 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Well, I waited too long.....Dr. Woodward retired last year. I saw him about 2 years ago for a shot/rehab. Fixed the rotator cuff for a while but last week with the quality waves we had I have reached the surgery required point.
I looked into Dr George White in O'town but his office won't take my insurance.

Any recommendations out there? Thanks for anything.
 01/13/2021 11:00 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Rocket, I'm with you.
I have a partially torn rotator cuff that I can live with but wanted fixed and had been talking to Dr. Woodward. i kept putting it off and then found out he retired.

Everybody I know who he treated was really happy with the results, so am kind of bummed as have to find another recommended doc. All my ortho guys seem to be retiring!

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 01/13/2021 at 11:00 AM by Bamboo
 01/14/2021 05:16 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

I like my doc and he has done good work on me before, but rotator cuffs are rough. 18 months later, my shoulder is perfectly stable and rehabbed, but I still have issues with pain and discomfort after lifting or surfing.
FORUMS : Surfing : Shoulder surgery

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .