Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Offshore wind turbines
Topic Summary: Being used to create hydrogen.
Created On: 02/15/2021 07:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Offshore wind turbines   - johnnyboy - 02/15/2021 07:34 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - dingpatch - 02/15/2021 03:17 PM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - WG - 02/16/2021 11:21 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - SlimyBritches - 02/16/2021 04:34 PM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - tom - 02/19/2021 02:47 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - CurtisEflush - 02/19/2021 08:25 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - tom - 02/19/2021 02:41 PM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - johnnyboy - 02/23/2021 07:20 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - CurtisEflush - 02/23/2021 07:35 AM  
 Offshore wind turbines   - johnnyboy - 02/25/2021 08:36 AM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2021 07:34 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-55763356

The idea of using excess wind energy to make hydrogen has sparked great interest, not least because governments are looking to move towards greener energy systems within the next 30 years, under the terms of the Paris climate agreement.

Hydrogen is predicted to be an important component in these systems and may be used in vehicles or in power plants. But for that to happen, production of the gas, which produces zero greenhouse gas emissions when burned, will need to dramatically increase in the coming decades.
Mr Matthews says his firm's project is just getting going, with a prototype system using a floating wind turbine of roughly 10 megawatt capacity planned, but not yet built....

This looks promising.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/15/2021 03:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Sounds good, , , , ,!

I've been reading that there are those that are saying that the whole "EV" thing is not what it is cracked-up-to-be.

Dora Hates You
 02/16/2021 11:21 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Some used to think that hydrogen could make more sense as a vehicle fuel than batteries.
I don't think so much anymore. The density advantage doesn't outweigh the cost so much now that batteries are so much better and cheaper.
Maybe for some transportation uses. (long haul trucks, aircraft?)
Maybe just the cheapest way to store and move energy from such a distant point of production.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/16/2021 04:34 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

That stuff causes cancer, you know. But, as long as it's off shore, it's OK, right?
 02/19/2021 02:47 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hydrogen is a pretty cool fuel but still a puzzle. You can burn in an ICE, remember the BMW Hydrogen 7?, but ICE efficiency is too low to make good use of it. To solve the energy density problem, you need to run s fuel cell instead. Since hydrogen has about a third the volumetric fuel density of gas, and fuel cells can be up to 3x more efficient than ICE, it evens out. As long as the hydrogen comes from wind/solar electrolysis, not methane reformation, it's green.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/19/2021 08:25 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: tom

Hydrogen is a pretty cool fuel but still a puzzle. You can burn in an ICE, remember the BMW Hydrogen 7?, but ICE efficiency is too low to make good use of it. To solve the energy density problem, you need to run s fuel cell instead. Since hydrogen has about a third the volumetric fuel density of gas, and fuel cells can be up to 3x more efficient than ICE, it evens out. As long as the hydrogen comes from wind/solar electrolysis, not methane reformation, it's green.

Well said, Tom. What's your take on this?
Using anhydrous ammonia as jet fuel
 02/19/2021 02:41 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

First I'd heard of it but here are my two immediate thoughts. First, most ammonia comes from the Haber-Bosch process. Who was Haber you ask? Ya, you don't hear much about him, he's kinda know as the father of chemical warfare so no Nobel prize or anything. I digress. Anyway, that process uses hydrogen and nitrogen to make ammonia and the same thing applies as above. Hydrogen from wind/solar hydrolysis good, hydrogen from methane, not so good, heck just burn the methane and be done with it,haha. Or alternately, if you got green hydrogen, why not use that as a fuel. Rockets love hydrogen because the gravimetric (not volumetric) energy density is awesome. Think Shuttle main engines. Why not planes? Anyway the second thought is that oxidizing a nitrogen bearing compound like ammonia has got to result in tons of nitrogen oxides, that brown air smog stuff that VW got in such trouble for. I dunno if airline engineers are as good as VW engineers about programming those emission chips.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/23/2021 07:20 AM

johnnyboy

Thanks tom.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/23/2021 07:35 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Likewise Tom, thanks. I'm shocked I overlooked the NOx aspect, especially after owning one of those ill-fated VW TDIs. Shiny distractions. All that glitters is not gold!
 02/25/2021 08:36 AM

johnnyboy

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210223-the-battery-invented-120-years-too-soon

This old technology is new again and the hydrogen byproduct is the goal.

>> And while hydrogen is the direct product of the battolyser, other useful substances can be generated from it too, such as ammonia or methanol, which are typically easier to store and transport. "Having a battolyser in place, [an] ammonia plant would run more constantly and [would] need less manpower, reducing operating costs and maintenance costs, thus producing ammonia the cheapest way in a sustainable, green manner," says Hans Vrijenhoef, chief executive of Proton Ventures, who has invested in Mulder's battolyser.<<

Edited: 02/25/2021 at 08:37 AM by johnnyboy
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .