Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ants...has it been a bad year for ants or is it just me?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2020 10:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2020 10:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Ants are always a bit of a nuisance but this year it it seems like they are especially bad around my place. they seem to be all over including around the doorways inside the house. Not sure exactly what type but they aren't ghost ants or carpenter ants. Seem to be the type you always see under flowerpots in the yard.

This year we had a bunch of ground disruption as built a detached garage and redid a bunch of hardscape and am hoping the ant-vasion is just them trying to settle back in.

anyway, wanted to ask the experts...I'm a gardening hack.

Thanks.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 07/30/2020 10:50 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Ants are a constant struggle. When it rains a lot they seek higher ground.
 08/02/2020 09:22 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Diatamus Earth (sp?) and the clear small traps at walmart.
7 dust for red ants and dont forget termite treatment.

Style is what you make it!

Edited: 08/14/2020 at 04:44 AM by palerider
 08/10/2020 05:45 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

I had an invasion this year also!!. Both the "sugar" ants in the house (never had them before) and some species of larger sized fire ants in the yard.

Terro liquid has helped with the indoor ants and finally the "bait" that they feed to the Queen has seem to help with the fire ants. (The pour and water killer seemed to only kill some and then they would move.

Time and tide wait for no one.....
 08/10/2020 11:33 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Also had an explosion of Brown anoles (sp. sagrei)

Time and tide wait for no one.....
 08/22/2021 01:18 PM

Bamboo

Been meaning to post what seems to have worked for me to get rid of ants.

Amdro Ant Blocker granules. The stuff works great.

About every other month I shake some along the perimeter of the house, doesn't take much. The 24 ounce size will do 3-4 treatments around my house and outbuildings.

Been using it for 8 months or so. Took a few weeks to kick in, but no ants to speak of in the house or on the pool deck since then.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 08/23/2021 02:43 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Ants, wasps, and I had my first run in with Yellow Jackets. Been bit and stung by just about everything Florida has to offer. Been shanked by a stingray. Lit up by man-o-war. None of these come close to the sting of the Yellow Demons. Weed wacking around a banana tree, went over a small hole in the ground. Nest! Which wasn't there the week before. First one dropped me. Never been hit so hard. Started asking out loud, what the F is stinging me??? Then I noticed the swarm. Dropped the wacker and ran. Made it inside the screen and to the pool with my left foot in excruciating pain. Then the one that followed me in got me on the thigh. Got away with only 3 stings (luckily I can still run fast as hell!) but the burn was relentless. Agony whenever I lifted the ice pack off. 16 hours of Hell later around 4am, I managed to fall asleep. Was over a month ago and the marks on my ankles are still visible..
 08/23/2021 04:47 PM

Bamboo

That sucks. Hornets and Yellow Jackets are in the same family and when they signal the alarm they will swarm and are really aggressive. I'm sure the weed whacker scared the heck out of them.

I have been stung by both and they feel like someone is putting a cigarette out on your skin, but the pain goes away pretty quick with little swelling.
However, my daughter is very allergic to bee/wasp/hornet stings and she swellls up bad - we always have Benadryl/Diphenhydramine and and epipen handy (friking things are expensive!).

The docs said that the liquid benadryl is best, closely followed by the chewable tablets...but you have to chew them well. The pills are no good because they take too long to get in your system.

Maybe next time try some benadryl and see if it helps with the swelling and pain?

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .