Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What happened?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/19/2022 12:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/19/2022 12:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

There was a little wave today, so I broke with tradition and ventured to Satellite Beach (usually stay local) to get a bit more size. What a zoo.

There was a guy to my left that tried to catch every single wave. He missed them all. He was right on the shoulder, paddled with all his might and didn't catch jack. I dismissed him after the third fun wave rolled under him, but that didn't stop him from trying.

There were a dozen people going straight on all manners of boards - foam, logs, shorties and old single fins that didn't work the day it walked out of the factory.

One guy got cut off twice on the same wave. The wave was two feet. I can understand Malibu or Trestles, but two foot Satty slop?

People were going right on lefts and left on rights. It was a weird, somewhat controlled chaos with sharks and Tarpon slipping in and about the people. The only thing missing was the Big Top tent.

What happened? There used to be a pecking order with a modicum of respect and the better places had the better surfers. When you became competent, you started surfing the better spots and eventually ended up with the better waves. That $h!t is right out the window. It's Gooberville with a vengeance, and the once preferred spots with the better surf are nothing more than a preschool calamity of dings, dents, pearl dives, stinkbug squats and sand filled sinus cavities.

The times they are a changin.

I hear bowling is fun.

-------------------------
I was right.
 07/19/2022 01:22 PM

MyNameIsRobertPaulson

Joined Forum: 08/14/2014

no consequences.. no respect... equality... everyone has the right... beach for everyone... of all ages... kids dont learn how to act at young age... grow up acting incorrectly and allowing others to act incorrectly.. trash everywhere.. out-of-sight-out-of-mind attitude.. just california liberal estrogeny orlando-y behavior.. if you actually have to show your face at the same place a few times, you learn how to behave really quickly... transient residents don't need to act right... and im sure you are talking about crytower aka lietower aka hypetower aka california
 07/19/2022 01:28 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Looks like there's been a little something for the last couple - and the masses have descended from all over the state..

Pre cove it really wasn't that bad, but when most beaches closed w/ cove satty was still open and the hoards appeared and haven't left - even with only microwaves..

Being 'close by' and 'at hand' def helps when a little 'surprise' wave appears - with only limited local attendance...

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...

Edited: 07/19/2022 at 01:34 PM by surfsail

07/19/2022 02:31 PM

Cole

Many places in California are still ruled by a pecking order. Ever tried to get a set wave at Trestles? Hell, ever been to Oxard at all for that matter. lol

I was right.

Edited: 07/19/2022 at 02:31 PM by Cole
 07/19/2022 04:12 PM

Central Floridave

The line up will clean up once we get a proper swell. It always does...
 07/19/2022 04:29 PM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Where did you go in Sat Beach and where is local? No need to disclose any secret sandbars, but if where you went today in SB was crowded, it must have been a known spot.

Only a few out where I went around 8:30 am and I saw RCs with maybe 15-20 out.
 07/19/2022 06:15 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Yeah checked Lums and Hightower this morning and not a parking spot to be had. Not a surprise at Lums but Hightower? On a Tuesday during work hours with waist high waves? I remember when Hightower was just an annoying stoplight you got stuck at occasionally. Turned around and surfed an uncrowded and fun 2nd Light

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"

Edited: 07/19/2022 at 06:18 PM by SurfCaster
 07/19/2022 08:14 PM

johnnyboy

Between the cams, the internet and the jungle drums, no waist high wave in summer will go unsurfed.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/19/2022 10:29 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Cole Many places in California are still ruled by a pecking order. Ever tried to get a set wave at Trestles? Hell, ever been to Oxard at all for that matter. lol
brevard isn't cali? ya don't say
 07/20/2022 03:08 AM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Hightower and Grant Ave seem to attract the crowds from all walks of life. I go a little south, and just surf the spot in front of the AirBnB down there.
 07/20/2022 10:18 AM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

Originally posted by: johnnyboy Between the cams, the internet and the jungle drums, no waist high wave in summer will go unsurfed.
Speaking of cams, some of the Summer Haven old-timers joked earlier this summer about sabotaging the Matanzas Inlet Magicseaweed/Surfline cam on a private house there because it has gotten so crowded. The cam has been non-functional for several weeks now. Coincident?
 07/20/2022 01:10 PM

FloridianSoul

Joined Forum: 12/17/2007

I'm too busy at this phase of life to surf weekday mornings unless it looks pretty decent......but anyhow, I saw some swell in the water in CB and went down to Satellite for a quick session. What a shitshow by 7am! There was barely even a wave and it was freakin packed everywhere! What's up with this ?? There are far too many people on/in the water surfing and fishing in Florida. We need a good Florida scare.... encephalitis, a bad hurricane, or a serial killer to get people the hell out of here.

"If you love NY, take I-95 north"
 07/20/2022 03:23 PM

Central Floridave

Thousands of more homes coming in the Viera area. Get use to more people. I remember when we use to have a skateboard half pipe out on the mormon swamp West of 95 and it was all cattle. Early 80s. I read somewhere that 10,000 new homes are going up out there the next decade. Not much you can do about it but complain. I try not to but it's difficult.

The Hightower phenomena is interesting. That is right it use to be a place you skip but now it's super popular. Huge Condo Complex going up there with a A1A cross walk bridge. I imagine they ain't gonna want all that free parking and rif-raf there parking there anymore. It's gonna get tight.

07/21/2022 05:30 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Has "gulfster", which zeroes in on Sat Bch and gets a LOT of hits, had an impact?

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/21/2022 06:02 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Cole There was a guy to my left that tried to catch every single wave. He missed them all. He was right on the shoulder, paddled with all his might and didn't catch jack. I dismissed him after the third fun wave rolled under him, but that didn't stop him from trying. .
amazing. most would have recognized your authoritay...
 07/21/2022 06:05 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

Use to be a regular at RC's but it has gotten ridiculous. I am sure hightower is even worse. Every session now your sure to get dropped in on by some kook, guys blowing waves you could have easily caught. "locals" out there on cheater longboards hogging all the set waves. And when you do get a set wave there are 100 people flailing on the inside to ruin your wave as you dodge hitting them. You would think when there is a big swell it would thin it out but no. Nobody knows their limit anymore and thinks they rip so they are even more dangerous bailing their boards in front of people. Lately I have been surfing out behind my neighborhood and even though the wave isnt as good I at least have fun with just my neighbors who we all know each other and hoot each other on. Let the kooks have Hightower but RC's needs some regulating.

-

07/22/2022 06:18 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

The saving grace, Winter is coming!
 07/22/2022 10:14 AM

surfspaz

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

What they really need is to start enforcing parking at Atlantic plaza. Can't ride your bike to RC's don't surf there ...
 07/22/2022 10:15 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: LIV2SURFDT

The saving grace, Winter is coming!

I am interested to see what happens when it gets more than four feet. The only issue with this of course, is that it never gets to four feet anymore.

I was right.

Edited: 07/22/2022 at 10:15 AM by Cole
 07/22/2022 04:11 PM

Skunkape

Joined Forum: 08/03/2015

It's because of my bakers cyst pray for it to go away
FORUMS : Surfing : What happened?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .