Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Aloha O'e Joe Quigg
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/24/2021 04:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/24/2021 04:36 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Aloha O'e Joe Quigg

The Father of the Modern Surfboard

Andy St. Onge
Jun 22

Joe Quigg died yesterday in Honolulu. It was a curious coincidence, too, in that just yesterday I was talking to a young woman out at Sunset Point (waves were really good: 3'-4'+ and reeling from the Boneyard all the way to Vals and beyond) about Quigg because she was on a board that reminded me of the famous - and groundbreaking (maybe water-breaking is more apt) - "Malibu Chip." She was on an 8' balsa so-called "fun" shape. She had no idea what I was talking about. I told her that that board - the original - (the "Chip") was made for a woman (Robin Grigg: see below); and it's an interesting fact that almost no one seems to acknowledge that the Modern Surfboard was the result of a design made specifically for a girl (i.e., light and easy to handle and maneuver). Furthermore, Quigg's innovative, forward-looking designs influenced all shapers that came after him - most particularly Dick Brewer. Quigg's influence on Brewer (again: see below) and every other shaper since was and remains indelible: his outlines (literally: shapes) of his vision of a surfboard led to the modern gun and semi-gun templates that Brewer perfected, which changed the course of Modern Surfing History. Form is function, in this case; and Joe Quigg was El Primo Maestro. Quigg's genes are an integral part of the DNA of the Modern Surfboard. That's what I told the girl in the water. She paid close attention . . . and I had no idea he had died. READ MORE AT THE LINK

Aloha O'e Joe Quigg

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 06/24/2021 06:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SURFSMURF

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

RIP joe! I was just talking to my wife about him a couple weeks ago. We have a shower curtain with a bunch of vintage surfing photos on it and one is the grom shot from that linked article. I had just found out that photo was a young Quigg and was telling her I had nick named him frog boy with those skinny bowed legs and always wondered if those kids were still alive today. I have a vintage Joe Quigg pig hanging in our master bedroom next to the 405th Harbour made
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .