Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mango Seed propagation and suggestion
Topic Summary: 1. Please help settle a situation 2. New mango suggestion for the yard
Created On: 11/17/2017 06:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2017 06:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

1. Inlaw propagated a seed from Malika. Gave it to significant other. I explained to significant other that there is a very good chance the plant will not come true to the mother and produce a useful mango. "then the fight started..." as the story goes. Can someone step up and share the facts?

2. I have a sunny space to place a new mango tree...... I have seen Alphonso at the big box store and I am very tempted to purchase. Any opinion on it? I LOVE that mango, but is it suited for me in Melbourne Beach? ( I'm not subject to salt spray ) Other than the Alphonso, any suggestion? I have a mature Hayden that we love, but thinking of something different.

Opine away.
 11/17/2017 08:16 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

1) you are right, there is a chance it sucks. Also a chance that it could be good. You don't know until it produces fruit, 3 to 5 years from seed. The odds are low it is good.
2) alphonso taste great, but is a shy bearer. Mango are moderately salt tolerant.

In the past I tested the theory of seedling mango. Nam Doc Mai got to fruiting age. The fruit sucked horrible. ripped it out. However, that is how you get new variety. Trial and error. Also, there are some mango that do come true to seed. Gonna misspell the words as I'm too lazy to google it. Molypolymphic and monopolymhinc. now I gotta go google it. to see how bad I butchered that.

11/17/2017 08:17 AM

Central Floridave

polyembryonic and monoembryonic

...not a plant scientist... LOL
 11/20/2017 06:13 PM

Firesurfer

Joined Forum: 11/20/2004

Mallika is not polyembryonic, so the resultant growth from seed more than likely will not be any good, as it will revert back to the rootstock.
 11/21/2017 12:36 PM

weldertom2

Thanks. Please do carry on with mango suggestion...... !
 11/27/2017 04:32 PM

Firesurfer

Joined Forum: 11/20/2004

Polyembryonic varieties, Nam doc mai, Florigon, Fairchild, Ok rung tong. These will grow fine in our area.
 11/27/2017 06:16 PM

epicsurf

Joined Forum: 10/25/2003

Rosigold, glen, kent and Keitt are my favorites.
 11/28/2017 11:09 AM

weldertom2

I am thinking Rosigold because of its early fruit, but seeing mixed reviews on flavor. I have not tried one. Epicsurf/ CentraFLDave what do you think about flavor on this one?
 11/28/2017 01:57 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Grafted fruit trees are great biological engineering.  The rootstock is typically juvenile, meaning it's not ready to support flowering and fruiting.  The graft is ready to go.  So you get fruit earlier than with a seedling, and you know exactly what to expect.  

Mallika's wonderful, of course.  

11/30/2017 07:39 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

rosigold tastes great...as does malika...buy a malika in April from Fruit Club Sale...they usually have them. I bought one last year

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 11/30/2017 01:56 PM

Central Floridave

Rosigolds are great tasting. Small stature tree, prolific fruiter. I've had off season fruit from mine. It got topped off by Hurr Irma but bounced back. Been growing a tree for 15 years'ish.

There are a lot of different variety of mango however. Taste is subjective and one year from the next the mango may taste great or average. Thus, if someone tries the fruit on an off year or is very biased and blabs about it on the internet then that sometimes can be gospel.
You really got to try them yourselves. If I lost my rosigold I would immediately plant another one.

What I have and would recommned, rosigold, glen, mallika (shy bearer sometimes but best complex taste), kent (best tasting in my opinion), keitt (late season), pickering (small like rosigold super prolific small tree). I've got others but wouldn't recommend due to other factors but I like the taste.
 12/01/2017 06:51 AM

weldertom2

True about the on and off years.........

Some years our tree produces an incredible mango. Our Hayden ( I think - we still debate the variety- it was established when we bought our place.... ) is coconut up front - some years it has a super sweet finish, others more tart...... and ANY YEAR it is better than grocery store mango.When shared with folks who only buy mango at the store, they are always astonished at the flavor.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .