Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: One more reason to think twice before spraying Roundup herbicide
Topic Summary: ...just pic the damn weed
Created On: 05/15/2017 08:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/15/2017 08:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Cancer - Lymphoma

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 05/15/2017 09:47 AM

IHB1979

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

Growing up in Wisconsin and living in Iowa for some time, I think about the millions of gallons of this stuff sprayed every year on the fields. I would think that if there was actual causation, cancer numbers of farmers, co-op employees that spray and people living in communities near these farms would be off the charts.

I'm not endorsing the product nor do I use them but do you think that this correlates to background gardners?

05/16/2017 05:50 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Valid point. But, I still think it's a bad idea for large numbers of home owners to obsess with a monoculture spread of grass, spraying organophosphorous (P double bond O) chemicals on the ground to run off into our marine environments...just to keep out a handful of "weeds." I also think it's a bad idea to spray large amounts of organophosphorous chemicals on the ground around plants that produce food that we eat. ...same goes for insecticides.

I am hoping for a day soon to come where this mentality is antiquated.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 05/16/2017 07:36 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

CNN is blaming glyphosate she sprayed on her coffee plantation for that lady's lymphoma.

Type 2A has a long list including dietary stuff. I'm not sure how she can rule out other stuff on the list.

Glyphosate is pretty safe compared to other herbicides and insecticides. It is worth minimizing herbicide and insecticide use in home landscapes but the stuff isn't some monstrous boogeyman.

Definitely agree that the massive chemical cocktail used to maintain the "perfect" lawn is absolutely ludicrous.

05/16/2017 07:59 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

"lucrative"

I think you meant,

Definitely agree that the massive chemical cocktail used to maintain the "perfect" lawn is absolutely "lucrative".

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/16/2017 08:08 AM

scombrid

Taking on the lawn-industrial complex in Florida is like trying to go after the oil and tobacco industry.

05/16/2017 08:12 AM

tom

gonna need to pirate the "lawn industrial complex" terminology for future use

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/21/2017 11:07 AM

surftech

Are there any regulations on spraying. I have a ton of organics and my neighbor's spray company always sprays in the afternoon when the wind is howling. I am very concerned about drift.
 05/22/2017 07:28 AM

scombrid

Very little regulation for us home users spraying off the shelf stuff even though a lot of what pros use is available on the shelf in the big box stores these days.

Now the commercial applicators that have applicator's licensing are supposed to follow strict label rules for whatever they are spraying as contracted agents. Most stuff has a wind limit. Going off-label is a no-no but it is hard to enforce. They have a schedule to follow and they don't like to wait for weather. Fertilizing when heavy rain is imminent, spraying herbicide or insecticide with drift restrictions on windy days...If you pay attention you'll see the commercial outfits breaking a lot of rules.

I did use a mass application of generic glyphosate to kill my lawn for renovation and I had to wait two weeks for the wind to lay down during one of our long spells of non-stop southeast wind. I wanted to spray between 10AM and 12PM when the dew had burned off and the grass had its stomas wide open so I could get a good kill with the lowest effective application rate. Had a string of weather when the dew would burn off just about the time that southeast wind would start gusting up over 15mph. The commercial guys don't wait for such weather windows.

Also, before I get crucified for the glyphosate. Compare that one-time application of a chemical that breaks down completely in the soil in short order with the neighbor that has monthly treatments that have some variant of 2,4-D meant to control the dicot weeds in the turf (along with the fungicide, insecticide, and fertilizer that are often in the TruGreen/ChemLawn cocktail).

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .