Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Retraining or chopping one trunk of a 4-trunk robellini?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/03/2017 04:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/03/2017 04:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I've got a beautiful, healthy 4-trunk pygmy date palm.

Trunks are about 5' tall, with branches sprouting up in the 7'+ range.

One trunk is growing under an awning where I can't afford to let it go. Another foot of growth and it will be damaging the structure.

I'd like to retrain that one trunk to grow in a different direction, but at least one more (and maybe two) of the other trunks would also have to shift a little to make room for the first.

I'm not sure if I'd have much luck with that. Are the growth rates slow enough that I could redirect the top of the trunk by 2' to the side, before it grows another 1' in height?

Worst-case, I might have to remove that one trunk. It would still be beautiful as a triple as long as it remains healthy, but that's my big concern if I make such a major chop.

Is there a good, safe method for removing a whole trunk, while preserving the health of the other 3?

Many thanks!

rj

05/04/2017 01:28 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Each trunk is probably a distinct plant.  I'm doubtful of retraining stems because they more or less lack secondary growth.  What you have is what you get.

Phoenix reclinata is multi-trundled, but I'm pretty sure P. Roebellinii is single.

05/04/2017 05:16 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've had some trunks die on a multi and the others have thrived. If you gotta trim it you gotta trim it. I've got one growing up on my roof line also. I may cut it back. haven't decided yet. I've also had one get ganoderma and take the whole palm out and I'm suspect it may be spreading to others.
 05/04/2017 08:38 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Is there any special treatment for the trunk being cut off to prevent "infection of an open wound" or anything like that, which might spread or make the other trunks vulnerable in any way?

iirc, my dad used some kind of black paint or tar to cover the stumps on other trees.

Thanks again for the help.
 05/06/2017 01:29 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

You could apply a fungicide, but for a a roebellinii, it shouldn't matter much.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .