Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Planting palm seeds
Topic Summary: Best technique?
Created On: 12/06/2016 03:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2016 03:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

beachsidedad

Joined Forum: 01/25/2013

I have a few nice palms species in the yard that have recently put out some "seed pods" or whatever they're called.  Is there a particular way to plant them to grow new palm trees? Most of the seeds have gone from green, to purple, to black. They are all still on the stalk part. Do I wait till they shrivel-up and fall off or plant them in small containers now?  Thanks for any pointers.

12/06/2016 03:40 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Best way is to stuff them all in one container and when they germinate then separate them.
 12/06/2016 04:17 PM

beachsidedad

Could use a little more detail.  Are you saying pull all of the seeds off the stalk in their various stages of "ripeness", push them down into some potting soil, and hope for the best?

12/06/2016 09:02 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

basically. Plant all the seeds in a community pot. Not all will germinate and you can cull the faster growing ones.
 12/07/2016 04:14 AM

Coconuts

Joined Forum: 09/18/2003

Well you have to clean them first. Also, you're going to need a heating source. I have a heating mat that I set up inside on a old card table. Seeds won't sprout outside this time of year, it's not hot enough. 85F-90F and hotter is better(for some seeds). I use the 'baggie method' in winter, with spaghum moss that has been soaked and them squeezed out until just moist. Put seeds inside and wait. Once sprouted, then transfer to community pots.
 12/07/2016 07:16 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I do what Dave does. You usually wait until they are colorful or falling off the tree. Charlene is the master incubator, so what she says trumps anything I would suggest. As for a heat source, if you have a hot spot (e.g. asphalt or black top with full sun all day) that might be good enough for a heat source to get some to pop out this time of year. Otherwise, just toss them under a couple inches of potting soil, label the pot, stick them in the sun, keep them moist, and wait patiently.

What are you propagating?

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 12/07/2016 06:01 PM

beachsidedad

Thanks Dave, Karma, & Charlene.  I knew Charlene was the master of palm seed propogation.  She needs to teach a course on the subject.  Trying to grow some palm seeds from (and I'm not an expert on the genus & species like the rest of you) but it's a Key Thatch Palm and a Hurricane Palm.

And while we're on the subject, I've been trying to sprout my coconuts for the last few years. Tried several different ways suggested online.  Out of probably 100 or more nuts, only 3 have sprouted.  Guess I need the Charlenene technique on them aslo.     

12/08/2016 07:30 AM

Coconuts

Joined Forum: 09/18/2003

Ok, on the Coconuts, they are ripe when they are brown and falling off the tree. Then same rules apply. Plant at least half way or more in the soil, and make sure you water them regularly, just like any other seed. Some people just stick them in the ground and forget about them, and a few may sprout. But you get better germination if you water them regularly. Also, you may plant them at this time of year, but they won't sprout until temps start reaching 85F to 90F which is usually May.
 12/08/2016 07:49 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

BSD, I got tons of cocos, if you want some.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 12/08/2016 04:49 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

In French Polynesia they take sprouted coconuts about 3 feet tall or so and just set them around on sidewalks, porches, docks, etc as decoration. Not sure if they get rid of the roots or how they dont dry out, but its a quite common practice.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .