Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Should I be concerned about a Pigmy Rattler in the yard?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2016 07:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2016 07:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GsusSurfs

Joined Forum: 03/15/2011

I have three little kids, smallest one is 4. I just found a small pigmy rattler in the gutter right in front of my yard (dead one that got ran over).  It was clearly coming out of my yard when it got hit.  It makes me wonder where the mom is. Should I do anything?  Moth balls around the property?

-------------------------

Jesus invented surfing...
Matthew 14:22-33

www.facebook.com/churchonthebeach

10/28/2016 10:12 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Yes, they are dangerous for small kids. I don't know what to do about it though. I've only seen pygmy rattlers when I have overturnd mulch that has been sitting for a long time. They are shy snakes but if picked up they will bite.
 10/28/2016 10:15 AM

GsusSurfs

Yeah I'm concerend about one of the kids stepping on one in the yard or kicking the ball into the ferns and reaching down in there or something.  

10/28/2016 10:33 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I wonder what you are suppose to do if bit. At least look into that. I think most emergency rooms have anti-venom. but not sure.

10/28/2016 10:40 AM

GsusSurfs

From what I read you get to the ER as fast as possible.  Might even call beachside urgent care to see if they have anti-venom since they're only 4-5 minutes away.  Someone told me snakes don't like moth balls so you sprinkle them around the perimiter of the yard.  All these piles of debris laying around seem like perfect snake hotels though.  And the kids on my street come home from school and run around on top them or make forts right in them.  Yikes

10/28/2016 02:34 PM

Aceman1

Joined Forum: 04/23/2008

I used to sell at product at my store when I owned it (Merritt Island Ace Hardware) called Snake Away, it is nothing but moth crystals. From customer reports it works.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
 11/01/2016 01:45 PM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

They make great pets. It will be the last pet your kids will ever have. You should go on Dr. Phil.

12/30/2016 10:58 PM

PalmBayChuck

Joined Forum: 07/25/2014

Call the Serpentarium over in St Cloud. 

http://www.reptileworldserpentarium.com/

They 'milk' poisonos snakes for anti-venum. They may not be able to come fetch it, but will give you advice.

I'd just take a shovel and chop it's head off. My dad worked with Mosquito Control in Volusia County back in the 1950's and ended up collecting a cigar box full of rattles from all the snakes he killed. I wouldn't feel bad about killing it. They are not endangered.  

01/04/2017 07:46 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Along with moth balls, we use this:

Garlic Barrier

Which works quite well for snakes and bugs as well. They have a big bottle that is great. Mix it in a sprayer, dilute with water, and spray all around the yard. Begin around the house, then move outward. Spray every month or so.

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 01/14/2017 08:46 AM

Dmcdonald

Joined Forum: 01/03/2014

You can put a bucket over it and call animal control and I beleive they will send someone out to remove it. Pygmy's are not that big as adults so an upside down 5 gallon bucket is sufficent. Or you could put the bucket on it's side and use something to push the snake into the bucket then set it upright and a pygmy or coral snake is not going to escape till someone can come pick it up.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .