Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: the butcher's are loose
Topic Summary: door to door solicitation offering "hurricane pruning" in the neighborhood today
Created On: 10/24/2016 02:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/24/2016 02:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Two guys and a woman with a ladder and a saw are roaming the neighborhood offering hurricane protective pruning. I'm pretty sure they are fixing to "limb-up" the giant live oak across the street. They lion-tailed a couple of limbs on the live oak across the street a couple of years ago. Those limbs died and had to be cut back this past spring. Now they are hitting up the people that live on the other side of the tree offering to do the limbs on their side. They knocked on our door today and offered to hack at the live oaks in our back yard and remove the limbs that are hanging over our yard from the big oak across the street. Sadly, I did not answer the door so they were politely dismissed. Tree across the street is over 100 years old but I doubt it will survive another ten years of "care" by the uncertified hacks. These geniuses are also hacking all but the top 2 or 3 fronds off the cabbage palms in the yards in which they snooker people into letting them work.

The last thing the oaks and palms need right now is more excessive and innappropriate pruning but that is what these guys are selling and the people that hire them are most impressed by the huge piles of debris they leave behind. Must be doing good hard work to make all those piles. Too bad they leave behind trees that are far more vulnerable to failure in storms down the road.

-------------------------

Edited: 10/24/2016 at 05:35 PM by scombrid
 10/24/2016 05:43 PM

beachsidedad

Joined Forum: 01/25/2013

Hate to see that. Tree companies are required to be licensed and insured through the county. Ideally, they should be arborists as well. If they get hurt on your property and they aren't insured, they can sue your homeowners insurance. I have personal experence with that scenerio. Don't take a chance just to go cheap. They should have the info in their truck. If not, don't hire them.  

10/25/2016 03:29 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Agreed. Good post. But, probably to deaf ears.
 10/25/2016 06:36 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

All I'm hearing from the city dwelling snow birds that flock to my subtropical condo garden right now is that the garden is in desperate need of a trim. They won't listen to logic. "We definitely need professional help." I'm so sick of these idiots.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 10/25/2016 03:58 PM

Sparky

Joined Forum: 02/09/2005

I have cut all the frowns off my cabbage palm before. It still didn't die. Now I trim all my cabbage palms at grade level. I had 19 now I am down to 2. I have lots of trees but cabbage palms suck!!

These storms always bring out the unlicensed contractors. An easy way to weed them out is ask for proof of insurance. You cannot buy insurance without a license.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .